VALKYRIE pelter rockets or CAS?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sixstring, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Sixstring

I'm going to get one or the other and before anyone says "Valkyrie sux." I know but I'm going to get an AI gun for it anyway which one should I get. PS I know the guided rocket one shots infantry but I want something with a little more consistentcy.
  2. Ronin Oni

Don't.

They are both abysmally horrid.

Default gun is better for AI than the dedicated AI guns.... they were terrified to give the Valk good AI "farming" weapons, so only gave it ridiculously nerfed versions of what ESF's have.

Only weapons worth mounting currently are: Default, Vulcan like AV chaingun, and the guided missile (funnily enough this one is best for solo + seat swapping).

If you're commited to wasting certs/money on an AI gun for the Valk (and seriously, just get the AI ESF nosegun. 10 times as good at a tenth the cost) then go for CAS. The Pelters have terrible velocity and splash radius. If you need direct hits to kill, better to take the higher RoF and velocity weapon (and the default is still better)
    • Up x 3
  3. MotionBlured

The pelter is AV isn't it?
  4. Ronin Oni

Nope. It does (a lot) less AV damage than the rocketpods which aren't even all that good anymore
  5. Kunavi

They're equally so bad at everything in all categories that it's hard to be sure what exactly they are supposed to do... No sarcasm, I wish they did something about the Valk and not only because I spent 10K+ on mine... Well, yeah, half of my rage is because of that, no point hiding it. But it's still just bad, all things Valk in fact.
    • Up x 2
  6. Govedo113

Don't invest in Valc guns. no point the default is "best" if one can call it that ,if they all are bad the default is just less bad compared to others.

The only 2 things that one should ever cert on Valc is squad logistics and stealth 1- so it is usable as cheap one way transport vehicle.

Currently even flash is better and more cert worthy- cloaked flash with fury, rival and stealth an HA on the seat is neat little beast if you like to go on suicide missions.
    Wait for revamp then invest certs or even SC.
  7. Ronin Oni

I think OP might be looking for a 2 man driver/gunner vehicle...

in which case Lib if they want to fly or Harasser if they want cheap, fast, and spammy (and easier to use honestly)
  8. Runegrace

Pelter has almost no splash radius, they are terrible at AI work and still not as good as ESF pods for AV. CAS is decent for AI but you need to be very low, plus Thermals basically don't work as the Valk has the lowest optic range in the game for some reason.

I've had decent fun with the CAS plus Scout Radar and Stealth. Get a friend and use it to skim around the outside of a battle picking off people on the edges that are trying to flank. Can't use it for spawning but it's a fun little search-and-destroy vehicle to mess around with a friend in.
    • Up x 1
  9. Ronin Oni

Splash and accuracy are pretty bad on the CAS though... I don't see how it does any better at killing inf than the default really.

Default (Wyvern) has no splash damage at all, but it has better accuracy... and the splash is almost non-existant on the CAS at even .5m anyways.
  10. Runegrace

You have to be pretty low for the CAS to do work, but it is a bit nicer when flying at weird angles. If anything I'd say the better ammo capacity is sorta a boon. Wyvern burns through the clip pretty fast and doesn't get much spare, CAS can keep going for a very long time with its ammo reserves when you cert it.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of times I feel like the VLG is the best AI since it one-shots plus has the best splash (and is full-auto!). Sometimes you just want to use something different, though. Except Pelter. Pelter is vastly inferior to the VLG in basically every way.
  11. Leftconsin

I find it easier to kill people with enemy faction weapons than killing things with the Valk. I have 30 Proximity Mine kills on my TR. One of my outfit mates also dumped a few thousand certs into the Valk when it came out and he is CONSTANTLY trying to get people into it just so he can make use of something he invested so heavily in. Everyone refuses.

Tell you what. DON'T buy any Valk gun until you find someone who is willing to gun for you on a regular basis, and then get whatever your gunner wants more. Because you certainly aren't going to get anything done with a random gunning for you with those things.
  12. FieldMarshall

People should keep this in mind before posting anything:
  13. MotionBlured

When the CAS goes on sale I'll get it, and maybe one of the AV weapons. I like the valk despite how badly it needs a buff.
  14. Sixstring

Honestly I don't REALLY think it's bad,but I know alot of people who do and they won't get in the thing. When people finally do spawn on it alot of times we end up having fun.

PS Dear everybody If you spawn in a Valk and you're not in the gunner seat I'm kind of expecting you to jump out if I'm over an objective,so if you aren't going to please tell me so I know what's going on.
  15. Trebb

If you want to kill things, cert up a stealth Gal. The guns are better, and there's 4 of them. And you have like 10x the health pool and 1000000x the resistance. Seriously. I gave the valk a good go and even certed the AI weapon. It's 100% trash until they buff everything about the Valk and its gun. If you feel like soldiering on, well, gluck in the cert coffin ;)
  16. Joexer

Stick with the VLG or the Wyvern.
  17. DFDelta

As the others have said, Pelters are a horrible AV weapon and they are even worse if you try to kill infantry with them. The only thing they deal acceptable damage against are soft vehicles, and I highly doubt you'd want to buy and cert if for the sole purpose of shooting at flashes and harassers.

CAS can be used, but is pretty bad if you don't get really close because of bad accuracy and hilariously small splash.

If you only want to choose from one of those two and with the sole purpose of doing AI work I say get the CAS.

If you want a weapon that works get the VLG for AI and AV, Hellion for AV and A2A or stick with the Wyvern for all-around "meh but useable".
  18. CMDante

I really hope they buff the Valk, it's a cool little ship and it deserves a place in the game. As for the topic at hand, my vote is for the CAS, it's the best balance between cool(chaingun) and usable(wyvern)
  19. OldMaster80

Stick to the Wyvern, keep your certs for the future. Hopefully one day justice will come for the Valkyrie.
  20. SerasVic

Soon™