[Suggestion] Valkyrie Gun Stablization

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by cbplayer, Dec 8, 2015.

1. cbplayer

Considering how neglected a Valkyrie is (come on who ever uses those things seriously anyway?) It could have a small buff. The gun camera should be stabilize on the roll axis, so the horizon would always be level. This is easily the most disorientating thing about gunning for them. I see this as fair, as ground vehicles have complete turret stabilization on all 3 axis in the form of the third person camera, that valk gunners don't have.
    • Up x 1
  2. Colonelveers12

<<<<<<<<<< Does nothing but Valkyries.
    • Up x 1
  3. WeRelic

You're my hero.

OT:
    I love the Valk, but it is kind of the red-headed stepchild. Stabilization would be nice, but I think it deserves a speed buff and to have squad deploy as default first.
  4. OldMaster80

The Valkyrie has only one big issue: it's balanced aroubd having 3-4 Engineers as passengers repairing all the time. From this point of view the turret is ok.
    And it's a transport vehicle in a game where Logistics still mean nothing because Redeploy shouldn't even exist besides to fall back to Warpgate.
    • Up x 4
  5. Azawarau

Ive tried each of the valkyrie guns in VR and 3-4 in combat and its been something that didnt come off as even being viable for anything but transport and suicide falls

I dont see it being viable even with multiple engineers unless theres a small scale battle without a large amount of AA
  6. Jubikus

Honestly does it need to be Viable combat vehicle? we already have those they are called Liberators and ESF. A galaxy has more firepower and survive-ability than a Valk but a Valk is also significantly cheaper which seems useless to most big squads but small squad tactics like dropping out and taking out sundys or armor with suicide light assaults to help turn the tides of battle requires a cheap option as you will be going to multiple battle fronts doing your job and moving to another one.

The Valk isnt used as much because its roll is a little more niche but its fine where it is because other things already exist to do the other things.
  7. Colonelveers12

Actually it is very viable, you just have to have the skill required to use them, which takes a lot of practice to get. I've downed dozens of BR100 pilots on Emerald (maybe not the top echelon of pilots but still ace pilots none the less, and my crew in almost all circumstances was me, my gunner, and one engie in the back) and that's only from the last two weeks or so when I actually used it for air combat. The rest of my time in it, which I've been flying Valks since they were first on test server, has all been as a stealth dropship, which it does its role amazingly well. Sure it would probably be nice to have the gun a bit more stable, but honestly the way the devs have stopped even moderating the forums I sincerely doubt any kind of improvements will occur.

If any of you have NC characters on Emerald feel free to hit me up if you want to fly sometime, it's always so hard to find a willing crew :D
  8. OldMaster80

Check Wrel's videos. With 3-4 Engineers you can repair so much damage that turret stability becomes a minor isdue. Of course you can't expect to fly safe and duel while flak turrets and skyguards are shooting you.

That's a simple fact about the Valkyrie. And expecting to duel without repair basically means you will be at big disadvantage. But personally I consider more annoying the fact turret cannot rotate 360°. That would make a huge difference :)
  9. Wind_Walker

360°?! like shooting up through the cockpit? That'd be SWEET!!!

In all seriousness though, 360° horizontal swivel along with 75°-85° vertical dip would solve a lot of problems for the Valkyrie's survivability. Keep in mind I've only gunned for Valks for a total game time of 20 minutes, so idk if this is already a thing, but is there any stability in aim at all? or is it when the pilot turns, the turret turns with it? I had a bad pilot at the time, so I wouldn't know for sure until I have the time to log on again
  10. Bindlestiff

JEST. And they are awesome in them too.
  11. \m/SLAYER\m/

TR can turn it into war-machine with their ESRL
  12. OldMaster80

Yep, this is well known and it's part of the problem. Either the Valkyrie is filled with Strikers or with Engineers, otherwise it's not effective in combat. Let's be honest: it never happens that a pilot can gather a specific composition of classes / weapons. And a vehicle relying on a specific combo crew to be effective is pretty ridicolous. Last but not least, VS and NC lack a valid option (ever tried the Phoenix from the Valkyrie's rumble seats?)
    But as others wrote, the Valkyrie does not need to be a combat machine. It's a transport vehicle and it's pretty ok when used as such. More than turret stability I think lack of innate safe drop is a huge penalty: it brutally limits the amount of possible loadouts.

And Redeploy again: as long as this option exists talking about transport vehicles makes no sense.

I mean I find a bigger issue that the turret can only fire in a small angle. Even a Flash's passenger can aim in every direction, but instead the turret of the Valkyrie is locked so it cannot cover the back. A good pilot can still deal with it by using the superior maneuvrability and steering speed of the Valkyrie, but still it requires a good amount of skill.
    In the end if the task is to transport troop there is very little reason to prefer a Valkyrie over a Galaxy. The only good point of the Valkyrie compared to its big brother is it's rather small, thus harder to notice.
  13. Zombo

i experienced valkyries with a full set of Striker heavies in the back with my ESF, got pretty much instagibbed

and using two lasher HAs in a valk is also quite fun and effective
  14. Azawarau

Ive always wanted to do an engi fly over an enemy convoy dropping Anti tank mines but can never get enough maxed out engis to do it
  15. Zombo

yeah, but remember: the flame that burns twice as bright burns only half as long, doing that with my outfit burned through my resources faster than anything else

it is incredibly fun though xD

the only faction that i can't really think of a good combination with the valkyrie is NC, they have no weapons whose gimmick would synergize well with it

allthough with four phoenix heavies in the back (don't know if that works) you could actually make a pretty good anti-ground platform i guess, but you would be extremely vulnerable against enemy air, lest your heavies all have gauss saws and good aim
  16. Azawarau

I tried that with my officer and we shot ourselves out of the sky

Dont phoenix Valkyrie

Its a really bad idea
  17. Reclaimer77

Yeah no thanks. Like we really need MORE people aiming at the ground and spamming infantry for cheap kills.

The Valkyrie is what ALL air vehicles should be: Balanced.
    • Up x 1
  18. cbplayer

Except it a complete pile of dog ****
  19. Reclaimer77

It only seems that way because the alternatives are so overpowered.

The proliferation of ESF's and Liberators are what make the Valkrie feel so outclassed to the masses. The Valkrie isn't the problem.
    • Up x 2
  20. cbplayer

Not really, A esf or a liberator is as threatening as a tank. Sundies are as threatening as a tank. Harassers are as threatening as a tank.

Valkyries are flying cert pinatas that cant fight back.
    Even galaxies are very threatening.

Honestly I wish i could treat my valkyrie as an attack helicopter, but it seems the results are under whelming