Utility for the Light Assault Class.

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Ralathar44, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Ralathar44

Light assault is a tricky class to add utility to and it badly needs it.

While all other classes have no issues straight up killing and using C4, Light Assault is slightly better at it and can circumvent normal obstacles and chokepoints. However all of the other classes have MAJOR advantages on the Light Assault class in the form of utility.

I'd like to see alot of suggestions on how to give the Light Assault class utility, lets hear it!!

My suggestion: Give Light Assault a specialized grenade launcher. This launcher fires only smoke grenades and emp grenades and is part of the base light armor kit as their tool. No direct damage grenades. Not only would this provide them utility but it would assist in their dedicated purpose as is. They just need to make sure that you get rewarded for using the utility grenades.

The launcher would have 1 grenade baseline, but certs spent in it could raise the max amount carried to 3.
  2. Lucidius134

I would like that very much @ a M79 style single shot GL with specialty ammo only for the tool slot.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

No certs to increase ammo though. Tie that into either Ammunition Belt or Grenade Bandolier. Both need more reasons to be viable over HURF DURF +250 HP META. That being said, a smoke grenade launcher that isn't the Underbarrel would tread on the smoke grenades feet as a viable option in the grenade slot.
  3. Frenk

We need something useful for the TEAM not for the single light assault! This is just something that can be already used, nothing new. It's not helpful as a recon dart, or a repair gun, or a revive granade.
  4. Ralathar44

You're right it's not new, but it IS extremely helpful both for the LA and for the team. The class who could best place it would be LA. Since this treads all over the smoke grenade this would leave you free to choose the flashbang if you so wished and have smoke as well. The combination of the two seem like they are a match made in heaven.

I'd worry about treading on the smoke grenade but lets face it, the underslung grenade launcher already does this.

An interesting video about it's use on LA already:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...oke-grenade-launchers-useful-for-engis.77378/
  5. Serafine

Actually it's not easy to find a proper tool for the LA because everything that is recon should go to the infiltrator and everything that is construction parts should go to the engineer.
    Something I could imagine would be some sort of "climbing hook": The LA that can stick a durable rope to a place allowing his team members to (slowly) climb up (only one player at a time). Certing into it would expand the length and the lifetime of this rope (and maybe at the last rank two players can climb on it at the same time).

This would unlock entirely new tactics when attacking watchtowers, biolabs or tech plants (you can bring a lot more players to the tower platform without battling up the stairs but they must be defended by the first wave of LAs because they are helpless and vulnerable while climbing up the ropes).
    You may get some XP (like 2) for every player that climbs up the rope and leaves it alive at the upper end (or climbs down and leaves it alive at the downside end).

[IMG]
  6. Kayth

Team utility doesn't have to come as something obvious and directly focused at helping your team. It can be a tool that effects the game-state in such a way that your team is able to monopolize on the given situation better. The grenade launcher being a good example: disrupting your opponents ability to fight back. JJ being another current example: allows you to engage the enemy on your terms.

Referencing the roadmap would probably yield all the ideas you are looking for (with some sifting). However...

Grenade launcher could either take the grenade slot as to not interfere with current special nade's uses, or might only be able to fire smoke once unlocked (wonky idea, just a thought). I'd also like to see a nade that has a large blast radius, but does lower damage. It's more of a harassment tool that is meant to break up those cluster of enemies or weaken the whole group for your team to attack.

Another idea which is pretty debatable if it is an infiltrator tool or not (which I disagree with) is a radar disrupter. You just set it down and it would mess up enemy radar in a radius, either completely or partially.
  7. Metal Insomniac

I had a similar idea in mind. Introducing the NS Thumper:
    [IMG]

This weapon was introduced in the original Planetside as an all-faction weapon. Has 6 shots, and can be loaded with any type of grenade. I think this would make a perfect addition to PS2, as long as it was tweaked. For example, if it were to shoot frag rounds, they should have about 50% of the damage as normal frag granades, but the same blast radius. Basically, it'd be a utility for taking out groups of enemies at a moderate (NOT OP) speed.