Using Hunter QCX as a vehicle deterrent?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by N1ghtFeather, Feb 25, 2014.

1. N1ghtFeather

So would this be a viable option? Using explosive bolts with the hunter when a tank or max is bothering you instead of just having a normal sidearm. has anyone tried this? how well does it work?
  2. AnuErebus

Given how little damage the explosive bolts do it would only be a deterrent to players who panic at the first sign of damage. More liekly than not you'd simply attract attention to yourself making you more likely to die. I really wouldn't recommend giving up an emergency anti-infantry weapon in favor of possibly getting a few hit markers on armor and MAXes.
  3. Nakar

If the vehicle has noticed you, I wouldn't want to attract its ire. If it hasn't, sneaking up on it with C4 is a much better deterrent.
    • Up x 1
  4. lNeBl

Pretty sure you would just piss it off and get its full attention.
  5. BuggerRat

Probably not; unless said unit was already crippled as to be at death's door.

Just from fiddling around VR I found it took 12 body shots with explosive bolts to kill a MAX, 17 shots to the rear to kill a Lightning, 16 to the rear to kill a Vanguard and about 40 to the rear to kill a Sunderer.

Dunno if they buffed or nerfed anything so take these numbers with a pinch of salt.
  6. cruczi

Can't sneak up on a tank just like that, not always. Firing explosive bolts from a distance is safer but does less damage, it's a low risk low reward tactic. I imagine it's a pretty easy way to gain a vehicle kill assist as well as being a way to distract the tank from more important targets. But I haven't certed into explosive rounds myself yet.
  7. Kociboss

Personally, I use C4 as a vehicle "deterrent".
  8. LibertyRevolution

You would be better off running at a tank with your medikit out to scare it off than using a crossbow.
    Try it sometime, light assault works best of course.

The thought that you may have C4 is enough to make most tanks reverse.
  9. reydelchicken

I'm pretty sure it could work as a distraction, to help out a tank on your side sneak up to the distracted tank looking around for the source of damage.
  10. N1ghtFeather

So I am hearing mixed responses, and I am hearing that C4 is much better. I am fully verted into C4, so I use it alot. I'm proably going to just use the xbow to get a vehicle assist, as that gives you a lot of XP. :3
  11. Ceskaz

Iridar51 has tested it up (see light assault section). It's seems like 2 C4 + explosive dart can destroy a sundie in 5 secs (5 sec from the time you begin shooting explosive dart with C4 already dropped on it)
  12. N1ghtFeather

I'll try that, sounds fun.

Has anyone also tried using the spotting ammo? Is it practical? Seems it would be nice to always know where your enemies are, especially when you are defending a certain point...
  13. Ronin Oni

I back away from medics... they're almost guaranteed to be packing C4 since medkits are redundant on them.
  14. Ronin Oni

Better for MAXes, vehicles you're mostly just going to annoy them but it might not be a terrible idea.
  15. MajiinBuu

2 C4 plus explosive darts will quickly dispatch a sunderer, otherwise you have to camp engineers until the sunderer is on fire long enough to blow up.
    I still prefer the UBGL for use against maxes and vehicles, much more damage in those 2 shots
  16. NewMaxx

Spotting ammo is the reason I bought a crossbow actually, although I have an odd play-style. I run it on 3/7 load-outs for each class, been experimenting with it. I like in particular to use it with my shotgun builds in combination with an ammunition belt. I also use it for specialized builds (like my claymore engineer load-out, so I can scout out ideal locations for traps). I like the bit of utility it gives and I pair it with a motion sensor on my CQC infiltrator builds. Definitely helps me get more mileage out of my medic, gives me a potential heads-up to threats when I'm pulling out my health gun.