Use "Join Combat" or "Redeploy"??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Celthon, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Celthon

I've only been playing a few days so very likely I'm not aware of more than a few game mechanics that may be evident to others -- but from what I've experienced so far the "Join Combat" and "Redeploy" options I have seem to really suck...I log into the game few moments ago, and I spawn at the "home-base" and the map shows the flashing icons indicating where heavy interactions are occurring yet when I click "Join Combat" it tries to send me elsewhere. When I use "Join Combat" option is it just random, or can I choose which of the fronts I go to?

I try "Redeploy" and I hear a sound affect that sounds like my character just died and fell down (does this add a 'death' to my stats?)...and I then see a bunch of green buttons on the map from which I can choose one to spawn at, yet many of them are only a cpl. clicks away from the home base and often there are NONE near the areas where the map indicates the fighting is happening?!?

It seems that I am constantly having to choose the least objectionable point, to at least get close to where I want to be, and then having to run. Am I not aware of something else, in regards to moving around the map (besides buying a vehicle which expires shortly after I leave it?)...or is what I'm experiencing "just the way it is"?

Thank you for your time and assistance.
  2. Eternaloptimist

Redeploy sounds like you just died and you see a skull and crossbones on the map at your last position but it doesn't count as a death on your KDR. As you will then know you get to see some options on the map - but only in the neighbouring zones or some where your faction has the lower population. At least you get choices. You can "bunny hop" your way across the map by deploying to the next base nearer to your objective, then repeat as more choices come up after pressing Redeploy again (there seems to be something of a range limiter on the redeploy function). Tedious but it usually gets you there.

I think Join Combat sends you where reinforcements are needed and no, there is no choosing. I found too often that I was spawned at a Sundy just before it was blown up or just in time to get gunned down so I use Redeploy.

If you find you still have a long hike, you can always spawn a Flash quite cheaply and it will get you there faster. Or you can fly unless, like me, you keep getting shot down by trees, buildings or flat ground :eek:. I think the Flash is cheaper tbh, so you regain the resources you've spent pretty quickly. I press T to get the third person view as I'm not much of a driver either.

A vehicle does not expire after you leave it - you will see a yellow steering wheel icon on your map where you left it (unless some rude person blows it up after you leave it).

If you join a squad or platoon (inst button) you will sometimes see spawn beacons you can drop on as well as the Sundies and bases that Redeploy shows you. You may also be able to spawn directly into squad aircraft (check the list rather than the map).
  3. JibbaJabba

To reach the redeploy screen, hit that button on the map, or hit U and wait for the countdown, or get killed which also takes you to the screen.

What options you'll have will be:
    The warpgate.
    The main spawn in the "hex" (full zone, just just a single geometric hex) that you are in.
    The main spawn in each base that you are directly lattice linked to.
    **One major facility somewhere on the map (biolab, techplatn, amp)
    **One major base (large tower) nearby.
    **Bases in hexes where a squad Defensive Request has been placed.
    Any Friendly Sunderers within 1000m.

Note: Items with ** will not be listed once friendly population goes over 50%.

If in a squad you'll also see:
    Any manned squad sunderer, Valkyrie, or galaxy that is: over friendly territory OR within 1000m.
    A squad beacon if placed.
    Any manned vehicle with an open seat where one of the occupants has a logistic implant.

The Join Combat button will simply try to pick a fight and put you there.
    It gets influenced by the reinforcements needed attack marker that squad leaders can place.
    Otherwise it's driven by populations.
    It will break distance, friendly territory, and team membership rules to get you to one of the deploys above, or it will just drop you in via drop pod.

For a new player:
    Avoid Join Combat. You lack the knowledge to decide if the fight is going to be a good one for you. It will generate unpleasant experiences more often than not.
    Do not play solo. Your redeploys should be to locations where your squad is going. Join a squad.
    • Up x 2
  4. adamts01

This. And list your server/faction to get some Outfit suggestions. Start running with a coordinated squad and you'll be up to speed in no time, especially if you use a mic.
    • Up x 1