Upgradeable bases via certs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DropingBongos, Jun 14, 2013.

1. DropingBongos

A lot of us are getting to the point in game where we dont have much left to cert into. there is no way they will be able to come out with weapons or armor fast enough to prevent people from getting massive stockpiles of certs.

I had the idea of upgradeable basses with certs. you could even have the ability to call in structures that would fall from space with a bad *** looking effect and unfold.

This would a pretty cool dynamic and also allow for a cert sink which we are going to be needed soon.
  2. Wintermaulz

That sounds like a cool idea, although I'm thinking it should be based on an empire wide building resource pool.
  3. HannaDest

Make it with a prize tag like 5 certs or somethign like that and if it gets destroyed it is gone.
  4. Cab00se187

Ya so the OP flavor of the month faction gets to upgrade everything while everyone else gets pummeled. No thank you
  5. DropingBongos

Guildwars 2 has these "blueprints" that you can buy in WvWvW pvp....PS2 could have something like that. like 200 certs to spawn a super tank or aircraft of some kind. its get blown up you lost the cert but had fun with it and it had greater impact on the battle.
  6. DropingBongos

Hu I dont understand what you mean. when a lot more people are high lvl every faction will have lots of spare certs and nothing really to do with them. OP/UP etc wont make much differance
  7. Cab00se187

ha, didn't quote the guy who was talking about an empire wide resource pool :p
  8. Spookydodger

Guild Wars 2 does something like this, where you upgrade bases once you have them to further entrench them. Gun systems, stronger walls, etc etc. They even tie it in with a guild claiming the base first.

So it is definitely an idea with some other examples.
  9. DropingBongos

yea these would not be permanent upgrades to the base just there untill the go boom and I like the idea of them being worth a little more to the players that kill them.
  10. DropingBongos

Ohhh got it. yea it need to be on a per player lvl.
  11. DropingBongos

yea that was the genesis of the idea it really works out well.

.....ONE thing though these should not be able to be gotten for SC only certs. we dont want someone being able to drop $500 on stuff and majorly screw the balance.
  12. Ultramarine

Maybe not upgrade, but i like the sound of deploy able commodities. Walls, resupplies, maybe some auto turrets or something (balance checked of course)
  13. haldolium

No. You cannot introduce a mechanic where single people decide over single structures the way the game is designed right now.

If anything, your idea should be tied to resources+territory control, nothing else.
  14. DropingBongos

Maybe not the placement of a base but the ability to additional guns/terminals at pre made(by the devs) locations. Also have it tied to resources or territory would not do any thing for the cert sink that will be need very soon.
  15. haldolium

I doubt that single placements of already rather secondary options like turrets is really anything worthwhile.

And in the big picture, it might still **** the balance even more since certs are directly bound to what or even if you PAY. Making the battlefield structure influenced by certs is part of the "pay to win" principle which at least is not as annoying in PS2 right now as it is in other F2P titles.

As for "cert sinks" - stop paying for being a beta tester and you have a long time gathering your certs for unlocks. I am quite happy that way since even now I can enjoy different ways to play that are still new since I do not pay them.
  16. Tommyp2006

It would be great if bases were more like strongholds, and didn't just flip in 10 min. Bases are too easy to take to actually sink certs into.
  17. Phazaar

In a year or so (when the rest of the game is more or less fixed (HA!) ) when they want community driven content to begin, I'd really like to see dynamic bases. Using nanites to shape and reshift a base when it's captured, perhaps to reinforce the opposite side of the base in case of counter attack, or to move landing pads etc to be more sheltered from your enemies direction. It would be at least ONE good thing the lattice system would encourage, whilst making flanking a worthwhile time+resource expenditure; where at the moment it's only good for hopefully being behind individual soldiers and scoring cheap kills on important targets, it would become even more useful for actually breaking through defenses etc.

This could even lead to wall breaches via nanites (Red Faction, anyone?) and similar (which could be made suitably slow and challenging to incentivise proper cover, air support, flanking etc)...

And all of that could have some huge cert investments to access some of the bigger adjustments...
  18. treeHamster

Uh...I have gotten almost 50k in certs and I've not even gotten half my infantry certing done. I don't know "what" you're talking about with "extra" certs.

If you have certs to drop, sink them into various aspects of your classes you never use but may have a use for every once in a while (such as extra rockets for your HA for those long range AV fights like at the Skydock). Don't say you can't put certs into stuff, that's total drivel.

It's suppose to take around 60k of certs to fully fill out all the infantry classes (not counting weapons). Considering only the top 500 or so players have earned 70k certs or more, you probably have a lot more time to go before you're "done" certing.
  19. DropingBongos

I make about 500-700 certs a day on average and am BR65. I have almost all the good stuff done I'm starting to work on the not so good stuff and the overpriced stuff. In a few month this is really going to be a problem as I will be scraping the barrel of what is available. they are going to have to implement something relatively soon. just trying to come up with ideas for what.