Upcoming adjustments to Air vs Ground balance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Bullwinkle 01

These are interesting changes, I'm open-minded about them. I fly a lot, so I'm a little scared of some of them, but not deathly so. :)

I like the rocket change. I'm an okay pilot, but it's pretty hard getting direct hits. Lowering the inner blast radius seems a great way to make infantry and vehicles more survivable and reward good targeting skills by pilots.

I'm a little sad that I can no longer use my Hawk on Prowlers and Lightnings, but I understand it. It's an anti-air weapon, rock/paper/scissors and all that. Don't bring a rifle to a tank battle.

Honestly, I think the best thing that *could* have been done to anti-air missiles (both A2A and G2A) would be to increase damage and decrease their maneuver envelope. Make them more deadly if they hit, but harder to hit with. A shot from the rear should have a high success rate, a 90 degree crossing shot should almost never hit. As it is now, there is no skill in using missiles; you just lock and fire, who cares about target aspect? Even with the other new changes, I think that would be worthwhile. Getting a hit should be a challenge, but if you do it should take a stock ESF down about 60-70%. IMO, of course. :)
  2. Kaoschan

Please add to the game that Air-Units only get a LOCK display on their HUD if the Lock-on is green (aka 100% lock established).
    Otherwise with the forced "only fire with lock-on" change. Flares are going to be extremly more powerful then before.

If not, how about adding a "buy flares with air-res" option, something like 10-20 Air-Res per flare
  3. Eric Smith

Lock-on requirement is insane. This isn't going to significantly reduce the rocketspam against infantry (the only reason I can think to move to a lock-on requirement) because anybody who routinely rocketspams is just going to switch to the default launcher or get the Decimator... oh wait, now I get it, you're trying to sell Decimators. Meanwhile my AV launcher just lost half of it's functionality because I cannot use it when under seige to fire at vehicles. Sadly this means I will probably have to pick up Decimators and relegate my AA and AV rockets to even more special case scenarios than they already are related to.

Increased Flak damage is good, however I have to wonder if that actually does much to fix the SkyGuard which is singularly the worst AA option despite the fact that it should be the best. If nothing else the SkyGuard needs faster Flak projecticles so that it doesn't have to lead the target by a country mile.

Slight nerf to RocketPods - OK, but I still feel that they are too versatile and should be split into AV and AI variants.

Increased Flak Armor - I'm going to like this for my Engineer and Max (the later of which will be almost immune to grenades).
    • Up x 1
  4. bigsam656

Please don't remove dumb fire from the heavy assault AA, it's currently the only real longish range HA option vs turrets and tanks (with significantly reduced damage and almost 0 splash damage) and is an indirect buff to fighters who hover while spamming flares.
    • Up x 1
  5. VoidMagic

Sounds horrible. The G2A launchers are now air only basically removing them from the battlefield and another rocker pod nerf in an attempt to quiet the masses of crying which will never be quieted. /very disappointed
    • Up x 1
  6. NeonTiger

This point is made completely irrelevant by the fact that the rockets are one of two weapons that can go in that slot. It's also completely false, as plenty of people use the other choice, the A2AM.
  7. Kaoschan

Bte please fix the broken Burster AA certs.

It's quite unfair that TR brusters get double magazine from the ext. magazine cert but NC burster only gets +5 ...
    • Up x 1
  8. VoidMagic

also I'd like a refund on my G2A launcher as it's functionality has been fundamentally changed AFTER I PURCHASED IT.
    • Up x 2
  9. Xae

That wasn't render distance so much as infantry culling. If he was in an infantrymen those guys wouldn't have been drawn until he was 20 feet away either.

They are working on a fix. In any place other than a full on zerg infantry fight infantry will render at about 400 meters. I know this because hovering over a fight at ~400 meters and spamming infantry with Rocketpods is basically my job at the moment.
  10. Steppa

When is the last time you bought a combo meal? How attached where you to that?
  11. Bearcat

Kinda PO'ed about the removing of dumb-fire from the rocket launcher. That's a significant change in the way a weapon works, and I just purchased it. Oh, well... Let the buyer beware. I'll just be more hesitant to buy anything with SC in the future.

That said, looks like good changes overall!
  12. Flarestar

Not very, but I'd be pretty pissed if I had an employee come over and take away my fries while I was still eating my hamburger.
  13. Lubbe

Skyguard really need a boost with either faster rounds or slightly higher damage with better accuracy
  14. Steppa

I see six pages of people criticizing the changes with varying degrees of thoughtfulness, including the lack thereof, but almost all having in common that they are framing the debate as a one on one encounter between ground and air. Since when does that characterize the actual battlefield...even at 2am in the morning? You have multiple aircraft overhead and multiple people on the ground shooting at them.

The game is about massive teamwork and effective combat arms.
  15. Steppa

What if they took your fries and gave you onion rings? Or didn't take your fries and gave you a cup of melted cheese?
    • Up x 1
  16. Flarestar

If I'd wanted onion rings I'd have purchased the meal that had onion rings, so yeah, I'd still be pretty pissed. If they want to give me a cup of melted cheese I'd be confused. Is that a thing with french fries?
  17. VoidMagic

Listen it's SOE's game they can buckle under to one or two malecontents on the boards and ruin it if they want. However, it isn't fair to sell someone something like the Nemisis rocket launcher, and then remove 90% of the targets it's allowed to damage a few weeks after masses of people purchased it. I think at minimum SC refunds are in order. I hope SOE doesn't follow the example of many other CashShop games that forced legal decisions on such a simple good will customer issues.

Do whats right SOE refund the SC on the HA launchers your crippling.
    • Up x 3
  18. Eric Smith

There's a difference between equipping them and using them to the exclusion of other weapons. Many ESF use the RocketPods exclusively, completely ignoring the other weapons they possess or can get. Maybe A2AM are beginning to get used more, but likely that's a result of Air Power being completely uncontrollable unless you're in an airplane, and A2AM are currently the best way for one plane to take out another.
  19. Steppa

What if they told you the fries weren't cooked all the way through, took the bad ones on your tray and came back with properly cook fries?
  20. Sparks

And a very well paying job it is my colleague!