Underbarrel Shotgun

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by ShumaKun, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ShumaKun

Anyone of you use it? I use underbarrel GL, but I want to try shotgun. Will it be a waste of certs?
  2. Ghoest

It doesnt make sense - especially ig you already have the grenades.

2 Shotgun rounds is rarely enough so you will end up switch in combat and dying. The grenades on the other hand have a longer range and hit harder.

If you want a shotgun - carry a shotgun.
  3. PaintedDeathAW

Eh, the underbarrel shotgun can be a good sidearm in a pinch, but mostly the experience I've had with it, its useless. I wouldn't recommend it.
  4. Niric

I would like to try it too - as an alternative to using a pistol or waiting on a reload.

There's times when I have a drag out jump jet dodging+aiming battle with other light assault, many times we've had to reload just to finish either of us off. But the shotgun would make a jet pack dodger much easier to hit in some cases I would think.

Right now, I just use the under barrel grenade launcher to shoot the ground right as they land if I can't take them out in one mag - if possible. Well -- also, I'm not a great aim/player so that could be part of the issue with this all coming into play.

Edit: How many shots does the underbarrel shotgun have before reload? And can you kill some one outright with it on its own before reloading? Or should I ask, how many underbarrel shotgun shots at close range does it take to kill someone?

-Niric
  5. Iridar51

Underbarrel grenade launcher is AOE one-shot, why would you change it for shotgun which does the same thing, but weaker and you have to actually aim it.
  6. Niric

Because in very close quarters in a building, with a low ceiling you don't have a great angle unless you want to blow it up on yourself as well. Which means your in trouble if you've been hurt already or when the next guy shows up and also there's the chance it just strait up kills you too. You don't have the perfect chance to use the grenade launcher 100% of the time.

Also see my example above.

And saying you don't have to aim your grenade launcher is just being goofy. You have to aim the ark of your grenade launcher all the time. Especially when fighting someone that knows where you are and even more so if that person is a light assault as well.

-Niric
  7. Iridar51

I admit, I was a bit sarcastic :D
    Obviosly one can come up with situation where shotgun would be better, but I don't believe such situations would happen so often that it would justify using it.
    From what I've seen, AOE on 'nade launcher is not that big, so enemy have to be pretty close to you to pose a danger of you hurting yourself. If enemy is so close you would have better luck with the knife =/
    Besiedes, switching to pistol will take about the same time.

Also, you have to consider other things that 'nade launcher and other attachments do.
    If you find yourself out of ammo in close combat so often then perhaps it would be better to use laser sights to improve accuracy, then maybe you will need less ammo to kill target and you won't need that second weapon.
    Nade launcher is just great in most cases, with our flanking capabilities it's that hard to hit a grenade and the effect is devastating.

While shotgun would be only good at CQC situations, and even then arguably so.
  8. Chrysalis

I can't see a good reason to take the underslung shotgun. "as a last resort" is basically writing off underslung frags or smokes for a backup weapon you're not likely to use terribly often.
  9. Achmed20

true but they are a garateed instagib so better make those 4 shots count.
  10. SirBurning

I use the Underslung Shotgun in the beta, it wasn't a 1 shot kill back then, 1 shot whould take away the enemy's shields. Considering the reload, this makes it useless imo. I dont know if it has changed. I recommend sticking with the Grenadelauncher for more utility anyway.
  11. Achmed20

its oneshot now which makes sense with the reload time.
    shot an infil in the butt and 2 heavys with shield in the chest. all instagibbed.
  12. japro

For practical purposes the GL is just more versatile and for really CQC situations an actual shotgun is more consistent imho since you are not screwed if you miss the first shot.
    But it's a lot of fun to use... so even if I don't use it that much now, the 100certs were well invested in terms of entertainment value (way more fun than increasing some stat by 3% certainly).
  13. Niric

Lol - I felt a bit bad about using the word sarcastic, so I edited and it looks like it messed up the quote there. Sorry to sound so rash in my response.

I don't deny for a second that the grenade launcher is definitely more practical in general application. But in CQB, you're better off with a higher fire rate carbine with a lasersight and the usage of your knife most definitely. However, I like the idea of the underbarrel shotgun being the versatile tool I wanted it to be in CQB. So you're not limited to short or medium ranges going shotgun with shells or slugs. Instead you could have a mix of both.

So its really a one shot mag then it requires reload? That sucks, and is definitely a key detail in its lack of usefulness. Does it reload just as slow as the grenade launcher too?

It sounds to me that they need to up the mag size of the Underbarrel Shotgun to 2 shots per reload and give us a fair bit of ammo to go with it. Maybe around 6 or 8 shells. Then it would likely be a powerful and viable CQB weapon attachment option. Especially when you want to enter a room with a mixed defender layout and pair it with a flash grenade.

-Niric
  14. Stargazer86

The grenade launcher is just so useful. They soften up MAXes quite nicely, they one-shot any class, they're easier to aim, they can take out a small group of enemies, and they can finish off burning vehicles that your C4 didn't quite kill.

The only issue with them, at present, is that their AOE damage can be hit or miss. I'll drop a grenade right at someone's feet and it'll do nothing now and then.
  15. Krytical

The shotgun comes with 4 rounds. I mostly use it to kill people in CQC who pose no threat or when I'm sure I won't miss (i.e. backs turned on me) to save ammunition on my main weapon.

The problem with the shotgun is it only works in CQC, and at that distance, if you don't manage to OHK whoever you just shot at, chances are you'll die while reloading/switching weapons.

The Grenade Launcher is indeed more versatile since you can also kill people from a distance/around corners.