[Suggestion] Underbarrel binding

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zhakathoom, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Zhakathoom

Hey. I would very, very much like a separate binding option for toggling the underbarrel attatchement.

I have itemslot 1,2 and 3 all bound to my mousewheel (MWU,MWB and MWD), and it makes the current "tap 1 again when you have main weapon selected» function very, very awkward. I know I probably should retrain myself to use 1,2 and 3 buttons, but I feel that is an inferior setup.

At the moment i find i cannot use UB at all, so plese let us have a separate binding option for it like the other weapon attachments.

Thank you.
    • Up x 1
  2. Demigan

UB weapons have been in a weird spot since the beginning.

PS2 has a somewhat slower combat cycle than other games, but it's not a Milsim. The combat can be very fast. Then in come the UB weapons, all of which are at Milsim speeds. You need to switch to them which takes something like 0.5 seconds. Then you can fire them after which you either go into a lengthy reload or another 0.5 seconds switch. In that time you can be killed 3 times over.

I've suggested it before and I'll suggest it again: UB weapons need to be fired on the go. They can interupt your current fire, but you should not have to switch to them and back to your normal weapon. See an enemy drop behind cover? Fire a UB grenade instantly. Turn a corner and find an enemy in your face? Fire that UB shotgun instantly. We have plenty of buttons that could be allocated to this. X, B, H or even the 1 button it's already on (sorry for your suggestion in that case).

Naturally, the damage output of these weapons needs to be dialed down. Having what amounts to a pump-action shot in your UB slot is too much for example.
    You can also use this to further enhance the differences between different classes. The new SMG already does this (and I wouldn't be surprised if they just took the idea from many of my suggestions on the topic), but for the new SMG it's just a feature to sell it rather than something to enhance the overall game.
    Imagine if a Medic didn't even have to switch to his medgun, but could fire a heal/revive dart and keep his primary weapon out while he heals/revives. He could have a small magazine in the UB gun so he can fire a few shots. When it's empty the same button that fires it automatically reloads it, this gives you control when it reloads and when it doesn't.

Similarly other classes could have their own UB weapons. Imagine if the Light Assault received a nozzle as UB attachment, and can fire his jumpjet fuel in flamethrower fashion. Or alternatively instead of a flamethrower it creates an explosion that damages enemies in a cone in front of the LA. Or similar to the new SMG UB weapon you could launch yourself in the opposite direction of your fire, allowing you to gain height or get in/out of a situation quickly.

This way each and every class could get not one but several unique UB attachments available to them. Many weapons could be modified to allow for a class-specific UB attachment, allowing the devs give a solid boost to weapons that are struggling in performance right now and it would definitely make the game a more enjoyable fight.
    • Up x 1