Under-Barrel Shotgun or Grenade Launcher?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Quiiliitiila, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Quiiliitiila

Hey all!

What are the pros/cons of the two Under-Barrel attachments? I feel that having only like 2 grenades would be a downfall when compared to the shotgun and it's ammo being able to be replenished, but I'm hesitant to not have the extra punch that the grenades would give...

How much ammo does the shotgun have? Do the grenades for the grenade launcher also require infantry points to replenish or are they renewed when you res?

I'm trying to decide my line of advancement ahead of time so that I don't jump into anything without thinking, any advice or observations about the two would be a great help!

-Quiiliitiila
  2. Caracal

you know, i was wondering the very same things
  3. DurandaI

As of right now the underbarreled grenades dont require you to spend resources on them. They are VERY glitchy however, sometimes ammo packs will give them ammo and sometimes they wont. But I will say that they are worth it, I dont have the shotgun attachment, but the grenade can 1-shot multiple infantry at once from very long range, and when the ammo refil DOES work it is amazing.
  4. Minsc

Grenade launcher ammo does, often, replenish from ammo pack (unless the recent patch took that out). It has 2 grenades, one per magazine. And they do not cost infantry resources. It can also be rather easily aimed/fired while in the air.

From what I hear, the underbarrel shotgun is not very useful. It doesn't pack the punch a normal shotgun has.
  5. Quiiliitiila

Thanks a ton guys! I'm quite relieved to see that the grenades are replenished without the need to spend infantry points. Also, out of pure curiosity, what is the default keybind for the grenade/shotgun?

-Quiiliitiila
  6. Dornez

Shotgun is useless go with grenade launcher. ALthough the launcher is still bugged, it is really the luck of the draw if it does damage to the target or not.
  7. Rean

shotgun is useless, if GL doesnt bug out, you instantly kill enemy with a single grenade on a direct hit
  8. Mrasap

There have been multiple threads about this already. General conclusion is that the underbarrel shotgun is a gimped version of the grenade launcher. I tried them both out during beta and have been using the grenade launcher ever since. It makes for awesome aerial multikills.

Ammo replenish seems to be bugged sometimes, but I never experienced it as a problem. I see LAs on Miller using their nade launchers as if they don't have their regular carbine anymore. If I'm out of nades then I'm usually also out of ammo of all my other tools and I can die happily anyway knowing that I just had a sick kill streak.
  9. KaosWarMonk

IMO the shotty is not the best because you have to switch to the under barrel weapon before firing. Running into someone and needing to switch whilst they're shooting back is a bit meh, especially if you miss. If you get the drop on them and have time it's good.

I find with the launcher that this isn't as much of a problem as you don't usually use it in face to face situations. Haven't had it glitch yet and have had some nice kills when enemies are hiding behind cover indoors. Am happy with it thus far.

-kaos
  10. japro

In REALLY close quarters situations the shotgun can also one shot people while giving you 4 shots as opposed to 2 and without the risk of suiciding as much. I unlocked it out of curiosity, but only use it in very specific situations. Only in low activity regions where you are like 4v4ing in a small outpost or so.
  11. Brofanity

The GL is absolutely devastating, that is, if it doesn't glitch and do no damage at all, which can happen on one or both of your grenades. Very frustrating but worth it when it does.
  12. Moor

The grenade launcher is good. It is useful in all situations and it normally replenishes when you hang near ammo packs on the ground.
  13. Dr ZErO

When not glitching the grenade launcher rocks. Expect them to nerf spamming by either making it terminal only resupply or longer resupply from ammo packs.
    Tried the shotgun for ***** and giggles....HOLY ****.. not sure what gun you guys have but the NC underslung shotty rocks. The switch from rifle to shotty is half the time compared to grenade and the switch from shotty back to rifle is near instant vs the even slower time of grenade.
    So far no glitching from reloading from ammo packs. Reloads reliably 100% of the time from packs. After firing the reloading is 3 seconds or less, much less then grenade laucher.
    Finally, here is the thing it, 1 shots virtually everyone other than max even with full shields health. NC one might be more powerful but within a certain range it one shots to anyplace on body. I killed 4 heavies in a row last night with it, all 1 shots with shotty.

WaYYYYYY more powerful then any of the stand alone shotguns.

Get way more kills with shotty then grenade launcher. Sorry I don't sit still and spam doors, I move and take objectives, if your like me get the shotty, you'll LOVE IT!
  14. Zazen

I read and read and watched others extensively before I bought the underbarrel launcher. It's very good.

The reason you should choose it over the shotgun is tactical. It allows you to attack in a way totally different than what you would normally be doing. This factor alone nets you many more kills because the enemy isn't expecting it. I have broken up many spawncamp or building sieges with it just in the 72 hrs I've had it. I do not think you could possibly have that same effect on the flow of battle with the shotty...
  15. Krinje

As far as I can tell;
    If you shoot grenades till empty 0/0 you can't get resupplied, if you are at 1/0 you can.

With the recent flak armor buff, you may find your grenades doing paltry amounts of damage.
    The grenade pouch does not affect the Under barrel GL. Only standard grenades.
  16. Zazen

^^^The part about 1/0 or 0/0 for reload is wrong. It's so random. I have the same gun for my engineer and I've thrown my own ammo pack down and gotten reloads when 1/0 or 0/0 sometimes, sometimes not. Sometimes, my own ammo pack won't but others' will, or vice-versa, etc. It's just pure luck as far as I can tell.
  17. ChironV

Grenade Launcher.
    Or as I call it.

[IMG]
  18. Village

Does VS even get an under barrel grenade launcher? Do we even get anything under barrel or something else to justify its absence? :(
  19. Wolfwood82

You should get it on your S weapon, I have no idea what it might be called but it's based on the default gun for the TR. (TR default is the TRAC-5, our underbarrel gun is the TRAC-5 S). Only 1 carbine and 1 assault rifle for each empire has it.
  20. helloworldy

Solstice SF. :)