[BUG] Unauthorized weapon switching during ammo deployment

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Galens, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Galens

Drop an ammo pack, switch to any slot except slot 1. When ammo pack becomes functional (Icon turns on above it and others can consume it), game switches you to your slot 1 weapon. This happens no matter what. The only way to avoid this issue is to deploy the ammo pack and wait for it to initialize before continuing normal gameplay, otherwise you are wasting your time. Too many times I have deployed ammo packs and then immediately tried to repair a MAX, only to have my weapons switch unintentionally to then shoot the MAX I was repairing. This is crap.
    • Up x 9
  2. SmileyBomb

This is a very old issue (beta timeframe). It happens with any engineer deployable (ammo, turret, mines). You get used to it, but it is still a hassle. Fortunately, they appeared to have sped up the time it takes to spawn.
  3. Obbu

Can confirm that this bug happens consistently.

Considering that max-repair is a key gameplay element, this is really quite irritating.

When you're fielding maxes, every 30-60 seconds on mumble you hear an engie saying "oops, sorry wrong gun"

Makes you feel like a right tool when it happens and actually kills one.

:<
    • Up x 3
  4. Tantric

Yeah, It happens frequently. I have many times shot something I was trying to repair when it switched to the gun. I hope they have a fix in the works.
  5. Nulgaoh

happens all the time.
  6. Lafladitu

well i am not bothered by the way after i drop a ammo box it goes back to my main weapon. but to repair Maxes its very annoying. I have accualy been very close to kill a few, but i lead to their death a few times in sticky situations as after it automaticly changed to my main weapon, and fired 5-10 rounds into the max unit, i realise it was yet another unauthorized weapon switch. I get back to my repair tool and then before i can repair the max i get killed and a few seconds after he dies
  7. JimPuckerfist

This happens all the time. I always feel awkward when it happens, I quickly apologize to the MAXes and patch them up.
  8. Wily

LOL that's good info to know. I just about blew a guy's head off when I was in my max the other night because he started FFing me and I was nearly dead. Glad I held off now.
  9. SmileyBomb

Remember that a medic can revive a max, then you can repair them again.... Just in case you kill one or three.
  10. ScrapyardBob

9 out of 10 times, it's unintentional FF by an engy who just laid out an ammo pack.

I've TK'd more then a few MAX suits so far because I was in a hurry after plopping down an ammo pack.
  11. itzCujo666

Yes, really embarrassing. The number of times I've shot at a friendly MAX I was trying to resupply and repair.

I even killed one once I was trying to help. He was 1 shot from death. I was the 1 shot.

Thanks for the ammo, great a repair too...opps. o_O
  12. Frosty The Pyro

oh yeah i have put more than afew bullets into friendly maxes because of this bug, never killed on though. I have found if you double tap the select repair tool key it works better, though that might just be how the timing falls out.
  13. Acuta

Have killed 2 MAX now, one in outfit (PUG was bad enough, the amount of s**t I got for TK'ing an outfit MAX was Legendary...).

I have learned to adapt slightly, repair first, THEN drop ammo. Still lame that this issue continues to exist, I can't imagine it would require a massive amount of coding to have Ammo packs revert to last weapon slot used after placement, OR? Just stay on the dang ammo slot so I have to move it to whatever I want next. Either/or is fine.
  14. Mirakk

Here's a weird one for ya. Last night I was fighting around a capture point with one other guy. I dropped an ammo pack for him, and a VS runs into the room. I shoot at him as he's shooting the other guy, and hit him dead on with a....smoke grenade.

WTF?

Okay, don't panic. Well, I did panic actually. I swap to my Gauss S and duck around the capture point a second, before popping out to take advantage of the smoke to grease him with my NV scope. Lucky me.

Later I noticed the same thing was happening. Usually it defaults to swapping to slot 1, which I'm used to and have learned to adjust for, but when it started swapping to slot 2 I was confused.

Has anyone else experienced this?
  15. itzCujo666

I hope SOE address this.

It seems a bug...or at least unintentional feature? Please let the selected weapon remain as is, instead of switching back to slot 1 primary weapon when ammo pack deploys. It's annoying at best and embarrassing at worst. I'm now experienced Engineer of 2-3 weeks, and in heat of battle I am still popping off the odd shot when I try to repair MAXes after dropping them ammo. I popped my outfit leader yesterday by mistake. :eek: ..and have accidentally TK'd a MAX I was was giving a full ammo/repair service before (per above note).

...kinda a bump to keep it in the SOE attention. :p
  16. SmileyBomb

My understanding of the problem comes from the cooldown of the ammo pack/turret slot. When you place one or the other, it HAS to switch you to another slot to start the timer on 5. What would happen if they took away the cool-down? Dunno. I'd imagine with the potential to lay a spawnable item in rapid succession, something game-breaking would happen (considering the number of players).

Perhaps the best solution would be a system similar to the remembering method that is used for 5 now, where it remembers if you selected ammo or turret previously. In this way, you could equip the repair tool first, then drop ammo, and it would switch to the repair tool. Of course, it would still interrupt your repairing when the switch occurred.
  17. o.Solei.o

This is right up there with the underslung bug (which works the opposite way, preventing you from switching to your main weapon) in terms of ish that is broke and needs to be fixed.
  18. SarahM

It would be really nice if the game would remember the last weapon used before you switched to a deployable, then switch to that when you put down a deployable.

Or make it autoswitch to the repair gun instead, would be much more usefull.
  19. Blaank

Deploy ACE
    Receive empty hand
    Problem solved.

Get to work.
  20. Shiaari

I like this bug, and don't consider it a bug. Engineers can be very effective in straight combat. My Thanatos with slugs and a HS/NV scope is deadly with headshots... so no... I like it when I switch directly to my primary weapon after deploying ACE or a mine.