[UI Feedback] New kill info box

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by ttttz, Nov 5, 2013.

1. ttttz

Pros:
    • Can see the class (important) and battle rank more clearly.

Cons:
    • Placement of the box is too close to center of screen (at least on my system, I assume it's independent of resolution, FOV etc.).
    • The glow obscures far too much of the field of view.
    • Hard to see enemies, or what friendlies are doing.
    • Any info box, regardless of size, can be a distraction.

Suggestions
    • Allow the info box to be turned off - it's not exactly critical information.
    • Add faction, class, weapon and battle rank to the chat box notification - option to display as text at the bottom might be nice too. The faction is important if its friendly, as the id of any friendly accidentally tked is useful so a /tell can be sent, after all enemies have been cleared, with an apology.
    • Allow controlling the size of the info box in Options.ini so players can chose a comfortable setting.

Notes
    • The xp appearing on the screen is used by players to determine when to stop firing - it should remain prompt.
    • Up x 2
  2. TheBloodEagle

Yes, allow it to be turned off, it's a bit too distracting and glow-y.
  3. R3dBeaver

i disagree with option of turning off, as like OP said, knowing when you just TK'd someone, can be important.

i'd love this option: just like HUD has a "centralized" option, make the Kill window has a "Minimum" option, showing only faction icon, name, and maybe class, in a much MUCH smaller box, no fancy glow or anything, located at the bottom of your screen, and disappear much faster.
  4. ttttz

Cons:

After noticing the animation time during play, and testing it in VR, it turns out the killbox animation takes quite a while to put the killbox in the center of the screen. Something like 0.5s, even longer? I can stop shooting quite a while before the kill info box appears.
    • On weapons with small damage per mag, Vanu weapons in particular, this results in quite a lot of bullets wasted in situations where they are needed. Vanu Carbines/ARs only have 30*145 damage bullets (TR have 40, and the NC have 30*169 damage bullets).
      • SMGs with low damage bullets, and the rest with 25/30 higher damage bullets are also affected severely. The full-auto infiltrator scout rifle only has 25*143 damage bullets IIRC.
    • CQC situations are where all the important contests over points/gens/terminals occur. They too often throw more than one enemy, often unexpectedly, so saving bullets is important.
    Suggestion:
    • Remove all delay so the kill info box appears instantly, or give us an option to do so.
    • Does the client check with the server before the kill box appears?
      • If so, since hit detection is client side, a mechanism to know when enough bullets have hit the target will help.
    • Up x 1