Tutorial should be #1 Priority...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chiss, May 20, 2013.

1. Chiss

Forget the lattice.
    Forget new weapons/content.
    Forget continents.
    Forget the damn metagame.

One of the biggest problems right now, is that few new players are sticking around, and its causing huge population imbalances. If servers are extremely full, then thepopulation is fine. So few people who try the game are actually sticking around, because they have no idea whats going on.

Here is a good example of a new player;
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/hey-guys-this-is-my-first-vid.126467/

You can see that he has no interest in reading a big screen of text when it pops up, nor does he seem interested in watching an hour of YouTube videos.

A compulsory, enjoyable, informative tutorial should be of the highest priority right now.

YouTube videos and slabs of text in-game are NOT satisfactory.
    Suggesting people go to the VR and do some little quests is not satisfactory either.

PS2 is unlike any other game in its need for a tutorial. Something like DOTA needs no tutorial... what you're meant to do is straight forward from the beginning, and you slowly learn how to better achieve that goal. Something like StarCraft, you learn slowly through the single player, which is essentially just a really polished tutorial. No other game i can think of gives players that "where the hell am i, and what the hell am i meant to be doing?" feeling that PS2 gives new players. The only comparable game i can think of is EVE Online, and that has a good tutorial.

We need an interactive in-game tutorial where players are running around, capturing bases, killing AI opponents, changing loadouts, trialing a weapon, buying a weapon, using vehicles, etc. This should automatically start when players join (can skip if really want), and players are rewarded 1000 Certs for doing it. IT SHOULD NOT FEEL LIKE A CHORE.

Something else that would be fantastic is a mentoring system, where an experienced player is linked to a new player, so they are always able to drop pod right on each other, and have a permanent voice communication link. This way they can learn first hand, in combat. If you mentor a player who ends up spending some SC in the game, you get 1000 Certs as a reward.

If an extremely good tutorial is not implemented by the time it releases on PS4, i don't see this game having much of a future.
  2. IamDH

Isn't all this coming in GU9 together
  3. Chiss

I don't know whats in GU9, but it should be a tutorial, not all this other stuff.
  4. Bankrotas

Since Lattice is introduced, you get tutorial info.
    I'm guessing, till they finalize game basic rules, you can't really do a normal tutorial.
  5. Chiss

What kind of 'info'?
  6. IamDH

They are all coming in May
    Check the roadmap out
    And you cant put a tutorial about something thats going to change the next day (hex)
  7. kadney

Check out the testserver, there is some kind of tutorial there that you get thrown in after you logged in with a new char for the first time. Some kind of the Black Mesa - Hazard Course from Half Life. I guess it's not that bad. Check it out and give your feedback on the forums..
  8. Sen7ryGun84

Don't forget the lattice, I've been badly wanting this for ages lol.

But yes, this game desperately needs a solid tutorial for new players. I stuck with it because I love large scale war games and FPS is one of my favorite gaming genres, but I know that players not already sold on the core concept of PS2 are being driven away by the extremely intense introduction to the game which is currently thrust upon them.

I have gotten my brother into this game, and to make it happen I had to spend time playing with him, show him the ropes, answer questions about gameplay, objectives, the class structure, vehicles, how to read the map etc. I've been playing with him for about a month now and he knows how the classes work, how to attack and defend objectives and is already at the stage where he's assessing the map and making suggestions as to where we should be moving troops in order to best manage our available manpower.

The first time he played the game, he copped the usual "heres sweet f*ck all useful information for you" pitch from the game, then was hot dropped into the middle of a platoon vs platoon clash at a tech plant on Indar. He stopped playing after about 5 near instantaneous deaths and didn't play again for about a month.

Not every player has someone to show them how sh*t works and SOE need to address this because I know for a fact its costing them players, and therefore money.
  9. Zitroxious

i wonder what the last tutorial was i used.. i cant remember the last time i didnt skip them..
  10. Bad News

I got a tutorial for you.
    1. Move mouse so aim is at the enemys head.
    2. Klick on left mouse button.
    3. klicka again
    4.???
    5. Profit.
  11. Kaon1311

Too late for a tutorial, not many, if any, will join a 6 months old game.
    Should of been around from day one, things move too fast in this day and age to think that adding a tutorial now will bring players in.
    If players were realy interested in this game they have viewed the tutorials on youtube etc.
  12. Klondik3

We need strategy guide, tactical awareness training etc...
  13. Chiss

Wrong, there are still tons of new players coming in. This is evident by the "recommended servers" being the fullest, as it rotates.
    • Up x 1
  14. Dinapuff

Tutorial? TUTORIAL? you see perfectly well that any new player to the game will just click away informative messages and they simply will not care about tutorials because they have a gun in their hands and want to shoot things. Then they get shot by a tank or a lib and they go "Waah waah, the game never told me that i would get farmed. ME! the player with the gun! Waah waah". How on earth do you implement a tutorial to this crowd?

The game has no AI, and If there is an option to skip it then players will skip it because they don't think its mandatory.
  15. Deltafoxnine

I need a good sniper tutorial too!
  16. The King

I don't remember doing any tutorial except when I was a kid.
    I am not sure, did Warcraft I had a tutorial? It must have been one of those for me.. Warcraft I or II
  17. huller

1: go to test server
    2: make a new character
    3: ???
    4: profit
  18. ent|ty

No tutorial weeds out the nubs.
    It was pretty disorienting when I first popped into PS2, but so what. I endured. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Trial by fire, baby.
    • Up x 1