[Suggestion] Turrets

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Littlewhitehilt, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Gundem

Two words.

Dunce.

Hat.
  2. SarahM

Infiltrators can sit in front of the spitfire all day long.

uncloaking
    cloaking
    uncloaking
    cloaking

ad infinitum or until the next server maintenance, whichever comes first.
  3. Alexkruchev

... These two goals are not mutually exclusive. We can do both. As seen in my post and others on this thread.
  4. Xybranus

I see people judge the Spitfire rather harshly, but, I don't see it.

You have to be smart in placing them. They're squishy, they're not very powerful, and they're definitely not subtle either. But, it's free damage if someone gets within fifty meters. Place them where you would hide as a Stalker infiltrator and you can start getting kills with them pretty well.

For example, say a hallway. Enemies are at one end, you're at another, inside a room or a door they want to take. Place the Spitfire off to the side of the room you're in, or hidden off in a doorway off the side. When the enemy pushes in, it'll put a hurting on hopefully already hurt opponents, and can lead to one or two kills here and there. Plus, the beeping will totally thwart a flanking Light Assault, since their element of surprise is toast and you can be on your guard. This also some what applies to Infiltrators, though a single decoy grenade makes your turret expose itself, and an EMP outright destroys it.
  5. NubCannon

I love the Mana AI turret, In my opinion, the problem is placement, due to its design, its designed for point defense, so to mitigate that sniper fire, just place it at an angle so that you can mow down enemies entering a room but you're out of the line of fire of people shooting into the room.
  6. Problem Officer

^
    The turret shields are very difficult to snipe through if the user stays aware of the directions they're exposed from.
    You're safe unless you rotate directly toward a sniper or far enough away from them.
    Get ~5m altitude with TR's and you can one-way the sniper.
  7. VhynSeven

The main issue with Spitfire isn't the turret itself, but people expecting it to solo-kill everything that comes in range.

To be honest, I find the Spitfire OK. It neither powerful or bad, when used as it should : a supportive tool.
  8. Nogrim313

this, but i want two of them. reason being in its current state if i had two it would be lethal for you to solo charge one, youd still kill one of them but the other would get you.

this makes them a defensive tool letting you cover your front an back, and doesnt require them to be any stronger than they are, it just makes it a bad idea for the infil to just run up and knife one because the other one will also light him up.
  9. DemonicTreerat

AI Turret: Either close up the face plate and let sheer damage from heavy weapons/ grenades drop it, or at least increase its traverse and elevation so that its not quite so limited when it comes to finding decent spots to set it up.

AV Turret: My only problem is the damn dot that pretends to be the sight. Not every has 20/20 vision and plays in a clean room. At least a basic crosshair like every other weapon would go a long way.

Spitfire: Crazy idea but hear me out. What if an engineer could bring up a HUD that let them shift their point of view to the Spitfire and if need be remotely control it? The basic code is already present for the Phoenix and it wouldn't make an engineer more dangerous personally, but it would be a good way to keep watch on a remote check point and give a nasty surprise to people who just assume that sensor shield and crouching means they're invisible.
  10. TR5L4Y3R

AI and AV turret are ok imo

spitfire should be on cooldown instead of need to always go to a terminal for refil

personaly i wish DB would add atleast 2 more turretvariations
    one being bulldog- or furyesk and the other either rangeresk or annihilatoresk for AA ...
    • Up x 1
  11. Eternaloptimist

I never use the AI turret. I headshot turret users even just by tap firing my carbine or AR, never mind sniping. For room/choke point defence I find mines plus a high RoF carbine with mobility just as useful.

I freely admit that I use the AV turret only when I am clearly at a higher elevation than the enemy (avoiding headshots) or from behind a spawn shield. Any sniper or tank in the area means I can only pop off one or two shots at most before quitting or being killed (and that is no use to anyone).

OK, the spawn shiled thing - cheesy yes...........but hitting a long range assault on a tower recently got me four vehicles kills, two drivers and 15 or so infantry before they got too close for the turret. I will accept the condemnation of forumside for a return like that.

I haven't made much use of the Spitfire but I plan to try it out more and upgrade to carry multiples, once I know how many certs I need to spend on new implants. When I play stalker infil they are enormously irritating and effective deterrence as defence points for generators, cap points and terminals that I am trying to hack as well as being good EWS in other situations
  12. JAKKAT

You look like an Infiltrator character. Biased.

Really the Anti-Infantry turret is broken in the wrong direction entirely because the shield is pointless except on high ground overlooking stairs/etc. That is the literal only effective place that it took a MAX (or a regular bullrush) to dislodge me from when I used it there.

Otherwise, ALL WHO USE THE ANTI INFANTRY TURRET WITHOUT HIDING BEHIND THE SIDE SHIELDING DIE WITHIN TEN SECONDS TO RIFLES OF ALL KINDS. I literally have to aim AWAY from the enemy to use the shield and avoid being headshotted at all times, meaning I Can't shoot them like I should be able to half the time, when Infiltrators standing at 50m in the open and Light Assaults standing at <50m in the open could out-DPS and kill me when I did, actually, try to shoot them. The finicky E-key use not included.

I don't care that adding a faceplate will ruin long-range visual definition (ie the current side shields), It's not a long range weapon anyway.

Additional note; AI turrets do less effective damage than handheld rifles, I've noticed. For such a large weapon, this deserves a buff, or a heat gain reduction. Also not certain how much health they actually have.

Edit: Adding Grenade Launcher turrets are redundant and potentially overpowered. Furies for instance would wreck everything indoors, up to and including Maxes, operating in exactly the same circumstances as AI turrets.

I've noticed people talking about how AI turrets are only weak to flanking. I have (almost) never been flanked in an AI turret, and as above, I obviously die a lot using them. The big issue is the serious and crippling vulnerability to headshots under standard circumstances.
  13. Meserion

How about turret akin to the R3 Swarm rocket launcher. It would give you a set of binoculars when you "enter" the turret that would allow you to establish a lock then it would fire 3 rockets that damage equal to say 30% of an ESF's HP from hitting with all 3. This would allow the engineer to step away from the turret and avoid bombardment but its weak damage would act much like the Spitfire, Fire Support and deterrence.