TRAC-5 S Comprehensive Review (with Loadouts)

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Durandalx, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Durandalx

Since my disappointment in the T5 AMC, I was greatly interested in the versatility of TRAC-5 S' (T5S) attachment choices. If I get a weapon that suits my needs, why not to forge my own using the flexible attachment system of the T5S?

After 4 days of grind I finally have this gun, and here is what I think:

Characteristics:

Compared to TRAC-5:

+ Has an additional burst firing mode. It's incredibly useful at long range (if you know how to compensate for it).
    + Switches between firing modes ridiculously fast.
    + Has an ability to equip every single carbine attachment, plus has unique under-barrel launchers.

- ~0.5-1.0 second longer reload speed
    - 700 RPM compared to TRAC-5's 750

Strategies:

The burst fire mode
    provides an amazing alternative to the single-shot option at long range. The recoil makes the third shot stray to the upper-right, however, so the way to compensate for it is to make a short, quick pull to the lower-left as soon as the trigger is pressed. If you are caught pants down and in close-medium range of hostiles, you can easily spam it and aim for upper chest area to take down enemies in close range with the burst fire mode.

Additionally, because of the quick fire mode switch speeds, you can successfully flip between the fully automatic mode and the burst mode in less than a second.

When it comes to negatives, the reduced rate of fire greatly helps in ammunition conservation without adding to your TTK too much. The reloading speed, however, is closer to the one of an assault rifle, which can cause some problems when reloading in tense situations.

Loadout:

Stormtrooper

Optic: 2x Reflex Sight. Arguably the most versatile scope for close-medium range, with enough zoom for long range potshots.

Utility: Underslung Grenade Launcher. It greatly contributes to the versatility of the Light Assault.

Barrel: Compensator. I usually avoid the dreaded "RECOIL 2 HARD" compensator + grip combo, but in this case I found that when the Compensator is equipped with the High Velocity rounds, it reaches the perfect equilibrium of horizontal and vertical recoil.

Ammunition: High velocity. Adds 10 meters to the maximum damage range. It does make the recoil moderately high, but is immediately soothed by the compensator.

We now have a weapon with the range and muzzle velocity of an assault rifle, moderately high rate of fire, decent hip-fire performance (worse than stock carbine, better than stock assault rifle), incredibly easy recoil, and an ability to launch 40mm explosive shells into the face of your opponent.

Nightstalker (aka The Smoker, aka Where the **** is he?!? aka OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER)

Optic: the Night Vision / Thermal Optic. Helps you see at night, highlights enemies, and allows you to see through smoke (!).

Utility: Underslung Smoke Launcher.

Oooh, boy. Gotta write about this one separately.

When fired, it creates a wide smoke source that lasts around 15 seconds. Now, the smoke is thick. With the night vision optic, you can see through the smoke clearly. The enemy can't.

Think about it. The possibilities are endless.

Shoot a smoke in the enemy cap point at night, and see the idiots run like headless chickens while you mow them down with automatic fire. Or shoot one right under your feet, creating an ultimate piece of cover that you can see out of, while they can't.

Barrel: Flash suppressor. It's a must for any night loadout. It makes you much harder to spot, especially if you attack from peculiar angles and switch positions frequently, and it doesn't reduce your range effectiveness.

Ammunition: Soft point. The scope simply cuts off your vision before a distance in which the High Velocity rounds can be useful.

This is the ultimate troll loadout. You can go full balls-to-the-wall with this one, just keep in mind that it is most effective at night. At day your smoke will still be effective, but you will be more easily seen.

Conclusion:

With it's expanded attachment choice, you can create a weapon that will make you incredibly effective at all ranges. Alternatively, roll with the night, and become the most hated enemy to the NC and VS.

TL;DR The TRAC-5s is absolutely ******* amazing.
    • Up x 3
  2. Talizzar

I just picked up the Trac-5S today and only have the 2x reflex scope and I love the weapon. I did not much care for the Trac 5 which make little sense! I upgraded to the the T5 AMC with the NV/HV sight and the 1x reflex and the 3.6 scope. The NV sight is very limited but in smoke it is crazy good! I would not get the 3.6 scope, that was waste.

I can't wait to get the Compensator which will probably be the next upgrade.

Keep in mind that when you switch to burst mode and then repair or use the turret or drop ammo the weapon will revert back to full auto.

All the under barrel options are appealing depending on the action. I still wish that the grenade launcher was one unit with two ammo types but oh well.....

It is really hard to give each weapon a fair shake as my skill is constantly improving, so the Trac 5 that I didn't much like as a noob, might be fine now. It is certainly a capable weapon you get for free!
  3. Intereo

I already wanted it for the burst fire, and it's what I've been saving for. I don't play often/well, so it takes awhile. It sounds like an even more useful gun than I thought though, and I think this review will be very helpful for me when I finally do get it.
  4. Durandalx

The TRAC-5 is a better weapon than the T5 AMC in all respects except for reloading speeds. This isn't even presonal preferance talking, it's in the game files.

With the T5s you can get the same attachments as you can on the T5 AMC, plus the close range options of other carbines.

If you want a purely burst fire gun, you can get the TRAC-5 B. It has high rate of fire so you can spam the trigger at close range and still get kills with it, essentially expanding your range without jeopardizing your close-quarters performance. For versatility's sake, however, I would still get the T5S for the attachments.
  5. redshirt

Trac-5 is a better gun at close range. 750rpm vs the 640rpm of the AMC

T5 AMC does however have better range attachments, compensator and high velocity ammo. Plus it has a higher base projectile speed 570 vs the 490 of the Trac-5 so you'll hit harder per round on target on targets around 50-70 meters. The slight lower RoF also makes the recoil easier to control during longer bursts.

Ref: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=12
  6. Durandalx

It has the same damage (at range and upclose), and high first shot recoil that makes it hard to compensate for. The TRAC-5 S can equip same attachments and has significantly better RoF which equals higher DPS. It also doesn't have the annoying recoil.

The TRAC-5 is versatile, the TRAC 5 S allows for incredible customization, the Jaguar is graet upclose, the Lynx is the Lynx, and the T5 AMC is a gun that reloads fast in exchange of firing with the speed of a New Conglomerate Assault Rifle that has TR damage.
  7. Lokarin

Question: Does the burst fire actually have a different firing pattern than just full auto for the length of the burst?
  8. Lowerydro

Essentially I don't see why any TR engineer should be using any other carbine. Fire modes, reliable accuracy, easily adjusted recoil and all of the attachments. VS and NC get better carbines IMO, but it is as good as 99% of any TR engineer would need.

Then if you want close-quarters dominance get a shotgun (your choice) and get slugs for it for added fun. Just make sure to get the extended mag.
  9. Chrysalis

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't each empire all have a versatile select-fire carbine that is a variant of their default?
  10. InZanity

My grenadelauncher is so broken i cant even use it anymore, ammoboxes stop resupplying it randomly, when ammopack is dropped it switches to the grenadelauncher but on the right (the weapon/tool list) it shows as the TRAC-5s not the grenadelauncher and becomes stuck in this state for about 3-5 seconds