[TR] Sniper Rifle Discussion, Bolt and Semi-Auto

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Mrsnuggles1337, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Mrsnuggles1337

After playing with the default semi-auto sniper for a few hours I decided to buy myself a bolt action rifle for some long-distance duck hunting. That rifle was the SR-7. With a several playing with it, practicing and getting better at it I've come to really love using this rifle. But the SR-7 is not the only bolt action rifle if the wiki I'm reading is right... I could've sworn that the TSAR-42 was the 10 bullet semi-auto rifle that I use now, it even says it's semi-automatic in the description lol.

But that still leaves the M77-B, which it reads to be another bolt action sniper rifle. I wanted to make this topic to learn about the characteristics of each rifle and what combinations of them they like to use, I'm pretty sure other people would be interested in knowing as well.

With the SR-7 I find that 2 body shots nets me the kill unless they're a heavy, or obviously a Max who also don't get killed by headshots. When my victim far away enough sometimes I have to lead my shot a bit, like say if they were running in one direction I would have to shoot just a little bit ahead of where they are going. Not sure if that's really true or if my reflexes are too slow so I tell my brain to aim ahead a little to compensate. With my semi-automatic if I ever wanted to hit a target at long range, this would be A LOT more noticeable, so I guess that mechanic is in the game either way.

Also I find the duration for which we can hold our breath and hold still is annoying =_=. Sure we all have to adapt to what's given to us, but god I hate hitting shift, not making a shot because my target went behind cover, let go of shift and unscope, scope back-in and to find that my infiltrator has the lungs of a 2 pack a day smoker and can't even hold his breath juuuust for a few more seconds.

That's pretty much all I can contribute. The wiki looks so suspicious... I'll be so embarrassed if the SR-7 is the only sniper rifle.
  2. Infinity24k

You´re right. The problem with the wrong weapon stats and descriptions is mentioned in other threads as well.
    LA80 should be a bolt-driver-action according to the description but during Beta it was semi-automatic when I tested.
    The bolt driver makes the same damage as an assault rifle and so on.
    Im not even sure if the sniper rifles are completely finished regarding of how they are supposed to work.
  3. Fikule

Well, for the SR-7 it certainly makes the case that the rifles are not finished.

I mean, it is the long range sniper rifle, yet gets an upgrade for 100CP that makes it less effective at range.

It gets a flashlight! For those close combat corridor encounters. Or maybe if you want to really highlight where you're sniping from. Also 100CP.

It gets an upgrade for less recoil. Even though it has to unscope after every shot. Also 100CP.

Is it just me, or are all these upgrades a complete nonsense on this rifle?
    • Up x 1
  4. gunshooter

I use the TSAR-42 for sniping, not sure what to say about it. It works well, 2 shot kills on bodyshots, 1 shot headshots. I'm pretty sure every bolt action is pretty similar.
  5. GrendelPrime

The TR SR-7 and M77-B appear to have exactly the same stats when viewed in the certs window (in-game); e.g. when selecting your primary weapon. Take a look at the stats on the right. What's going on here?
  6. Makora

The TSAR is currently bugged for all intents and purposes and no one can convince me otherwise. It's a bolt-action sniper rifle that LACKS sniper scopes. Every other scope, even ironsights have scope sway (just like the other sniper rifles). And the highest zoom scope for it is 4x.
  7. IamSerabith

I want to know why I can 3 shot with my starter rifle at 1200meters and not get a kill with either the TSAR or Full auto rifle at 300 feet... The damage indicators and accuracy tabs are completely FUBAR unless someone can prove to me otherwise. :( $15 on "upgrades" and I feel I've been cheated...
  8. Soylent

Every empire has a TSAR-42 and KSR-35 equivalent. When buying a sniper rifle make sure it has an actual scope already mounted on it on the preview, otherwise it'll come with just iron-sights and the scopes available for purchase will only go up to 4x, something is obviously not right with those.

Also, all the bolt-action sniper rifles are pretty much identical. Some say in the description that they have increased bullet speed but I've no idea if that is the case (none of the TR Snipers have that stated, other empires do). Stat wise the M77-B should be superior to the SR-7 (faster reload) and it's also 10 times cheaper (cert wise). Other than that I don't think they differ at all. If they do, it doesn't say so. I've heard the SR-7 might have lower bullet drop, which would explain the slower reload.

The scout sniper rifles I have no idea how they perform.

Pretty much all attachments are useless. I'd love to see them add NV or Thermal scopes for the Sniper rifles thou, right now only the scout models sport one and it's only 1x.