[tr] Sell me on the RAM50

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Walrus308, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Walrus308

[IMG]

Title says it all really. So far I can't really justify the 1000 certs, I've been doing decently with the m77-b.

(Taking into account snipers are for farming kills from the edge of render distance up to maybe 200m at closest, otherwise i'll pull another loadout -quickly falling in love with the Armistice)

Is it really that much of a difference?
    Is 39% accuracy low?
    note: I don't wait for stationary targets. Lob 2-3 rounds down range at a set point (usually a light source or defined part of a building/cliff/whatnot), and adjust accordingly. Unless it is a common fight. For example I know off the top of my head that it's 2 mils of drop firing from the cliff by A at the crown down on the base next door.

If I were lone wolfing it without ammo then that would be a different story, but i'm 100% with a platoon.

Finally, if not the RAM, do you swear by any of the other bolt actions? 100 certs for the M77 + 30 for the 12x scope is all I have invested, which is a drop in the bucket.
  2. BCKrogoth

RAM all day, but if you don't want to take the time to line up headshots, don't bother.
    • Up x 2
  3. RavenCZ

Well why you should buy .Rams ? Because .Rams shoot faster , hit harder and their bullet are faster . Rams is direct upgrade of M77-B.( And i know what im saying i hav auraxium on Rams and some kills on M77-B too )
  4. AnuErebus

If your use for a sniper rifle is as you say, farming kills at the edge of render distance then yes the RAMS is a better choice than the M77-B. The reduced bullet drop thanks to the increase projectile velocity on the RAMS makes it much better suited for longer ranged shooting. That same velocity also makes it easier to adjust for moving targets which is quite useful when you're first starting to snipe. Where the M77-B has an advatange is when the time between shots really counts. It re-chambers each round slightly faster than the RAMS, so it's better for close ranges or when there's a group just idling around waiting to die.

39% accuracy for the M77-B is just slightly above average. Average being 38.7%.

The RAMS does not shoot faster. Of the four bolt-actions it has the slowest firing rate which is often the main reason people don't decide to use the RAMS.
    • Up x 1
  5. Lord_Avatar

The RAMS is the top tier bolt-action sniper rifle, period. With the Straight Pull Bolt attachment there is little to no reason not to use it over the M77-B. There are better options for close range sniping and outside that range you can't really go wrong with the RAMS.
  6. Mustarde

Let me preface my response with a quick disclaimer.

If you are a casual sniper, stick with the 100c flavor and do not bother buying anything else (bolt driver, M77B and XM98). You will never need anything more, and will be disappointed if you spent more certs/SC.

If you are a more serious sniper, then there are reasons for using every sniper rifle, although I think 4 bolt actions are too many, and we could probably do with just 3. While subtle, each sniper rifle can be tailored to fill a certain niche.

Ghost/TSAR-42/SAS-R: Close range, aggressive sniping. Also good for farming towers or other enemy clusters with a suppressor.
    XM98/M77-B/Bolt Driver: Also good for aggressive sniping due to rate of fire. Harder to use beyond 150m. Good for 90% of sniping.
    V10/SR-7/LA80: Has 50m/s more velocity which lets you work out to 175-200m reasonably well. Still decent ROF and reload, it's a hybrid rifle that I use for aggressive sniping that also lets me reach out and tag distant targets.
    Parallax/RAMS50/Longshot: It's benefits only outweigh the cousin rifles when used at longer ranges. Best velocity, slowest reload and rechamber time. I don't deploy in with one unless I'm on the cliffs of SE Indar, or tagging targets from the top of a tech plant or biolab. But when I am at those ranges, it is very nice to have.

Personally, we could do without the tier 1 rifles, which begin to blend very closely with the 1-4x scope sniper rifles, which are vastly superior in terms of reload and the lack of scope sway. If I had it my way, we'd have the TSAR-42, SR-7 and RAMS.50 and that'd be it.
    So I have no idea if I have sold you on the RAMS.50. Unless you plan on doing a lot of sniping, I bet I've talked you out of it. And for a good reason.

Also if you think sniping is only good for "render range farming", then you probably need to read some other threads on this board, and maybe check out a few videos.
    • Up x 3
  7. Hoki

Its telling that the majority of peeps don't even consider the SR-7.

About the only time anyone would recommend it was before the RAMS was introduced.

For SOE's sniper rifle balance philosophy.. to rant, or not to rant.. awe **** it I've said it all 100x before.

Anyways, buy SC and support PS2. Save the 1000 certs.
  8. RavenCZ

Well then sory it looks like Rams shoot faster for me :D And if you know what you are doing you can easily score headstot with 12 scope at 20 metres its not too hard .
  9. Moppykins

I have auraxiumed both the m77-B AND the RAMS, in that order. After it was all done, I continued using the RAMS. Both rifles are awesome.
  10. TimmyO

I love the top tier Bolt actions with the 12x scopes. I bought the SC to use them on all my faction snipers.

The stopping power and the extreme damage if I miss and get a body shot ensure that I'll have either a kill or assist with them and it allows me to play and seek more effectively. Knowing that popping out of cover and cloak I can fire, get a guaranteed kill with little to no bullet drop and then cloak again and move if I was seen has really helped my game.

This gun plus learning about the hold breath button (lol wish I knew that sooner) has really made a huge difference. Add in good use of cloak it's the most fun I've had playing.
  11. Sworaven

I think he was talking about bullet velocity.

It seems like you're under the impression most people actually consider rechamber/reload-speed a factor when buying a BASR. I'm afraid I've got some sad news for you.
  12. zaspacer

I use the Ram on 2 of my 4 TR Infil Loadouts:
    1) Close Range Sniper w/ 6x Scope (and usually w/ Suppressor) (good for setting up near key enemy position and completely disrupting them at that position: vehicle terminal, front dug in behind cover, etc.)
    2) Long Range to Extreme Long Range Sniping w/ 12x Scope (good for anti-Sniper work, driving off key enemy Defenders on a Tower, taking out nest of dug in AV Heavies, taking out AV Engineer, scope spot key enemy forces, etc.)

I own but never use the M77-B.

The Ram is the best tool for the job I use it for. Lowest bullet drop, fastest speed, hardest hitting. No muss, no fuss. It is the best weapon to put down a target with one aimed shot, to take down multiple targets at different ranges with one aimed shot each, and to take down moving targets at range with 2+ body shots.

I suggest you head into VR Training and try both the Ram w/ 6x Scope + Suppressor and Ram w/ 12x Scope. Pick a spot outside and see how fast and successfully you can switch between multiple targets and drop them.
  13. AnuErebus

He mentioned bullet speed directly after, and his post after more or less confirmed the point.

And yes, I do find people consider rechamber time to be a factor when choosing a bolt-action. Maybe not your average everyday sniper who waits a minute or two between shots, but if you're aggressive and in the fight rechamber and reload times can make quite a bit of difference.
  14. lilleAllan

I have auraxium with the Rams and M77 equivalents (video in signature)

Prefer Rams in most scenarios since t he bullet speed makes it easier to headshot moving targets
  15. MajiinBuu

RAMS all the way. Never used it, but I know it's identical to the Parallax(which I love). OHK headshot up to 250 meters
  16. LIKE A BOSS!

300meters* you mean
  17. MajiinBuu

I thought it was 300 too, until yesterday, at close to 300 meters, I headshotted someone and they didn't die. It wasn't a heavy either(I don't think)
  18. Stinneyt

Having nearly 6000 kills with a RAMS.50 and recently Auraxiumed the SR-7, I actually prefer using the SR-7.