TR Infiltration and You

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Shaggit, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Shaggit

Buckle down soldier! We got a lot of crap to cover today! So you want to sit on your **** far from the respective engagements of this war and blow some heads off like Gallagher would a watermelon?! Well you CAN'T, or better yet SHOULDN'T! This here thread should help you make some informed decisions. Decisions that will bring in the certs without necessarily showcasing the best Kill/Death ratio. Let's get started:

Who in Sam Hill am I and just who in the hell is Sam Hill anyway?

My name is Shaggit. I am based on the Waterson Server and currently run with the Angry Joe Army. Friend me if you want. I am hardly a pro but am a lifetime gamer who will be sticking around and could always use more friends.

Why that dang Infiltrator class and not something else?

This is really due to perceived class shortages in the Angry Army squad/platoon. In all games I have always preferred the rarest or least represented of classes to specialize in. I like being useful and thusly kind of fell into the role. So while I do quite enjoy the jetpacking of the Light Assault or the versatility of the Heavy, my runnings in the game invariably come back to the mumbled question of, "We need someone to hack this terminal. Shaggit, can you?" LOL

Loadouts R Us and You. So just what the hell is my setup currently at? I have blown some certs over the days experimenting, buying into more things than I can use. I did this knowing the Devs will allow for recertification sometime in the future so it isn't all in vain. And if they don't allow for recerts (screw em), I'll just live with it. On a given night I get anywhere from 100 to 200 certs. I do this by completing the objectives FIRST and killing LATER.

My primary loadout is as follows:

Primary - SR-7 with 12x Optics
    Secondary - TX2 with silencer (for this particular loadout silencer is hardly needed but since I have it, I took it) You can also go with the starter. This loadout should rarely see any enemies closer than 500m to your position anyway... Well more on that later!

As expected, this is the attacking a base/enemy position en route to a base. You simply pick your targets carefully and in a particular order (enemy infiltrators, medics, engineers, all the rest). Your goal here is to snipe but not in the way it's become known in other games. Be useful and go to the right or left of where your main squad/platoon is holed up. Your job is to spot, grease the wheels of their advancement and get closer yourself.

While defending, pick high ground, hoping they aren't coming from behind you or in flank and have at those that approach. Usually defending entails dealing with enemy vehicles and aircraft so it might not be as ideal to be sniper as infantry are far off and MOVING themselves. Don't waste your precious ammo unless you are a God, in which case, why are you reading this piece of crap?

My primary skill allotment is and will be as follows:

Universal: Utility Slot - I took Restoration. Don't really care either way which you choose.

Infiltrator: Passive Systems (Advanced Equipment Terminal Hacking) - This is a must have! Must cert! Not necessarily helpful until you actually GET to the base you are attacking/approaching but this skill is invaluable to your squad and where some of your exp will be derived!

Infiltrator: Tool Slot (Recon Detect Device) - Again not the most useful for this particular loadout and purpose. I have heard mixed reviews about this. I use it only when bored (I shoot my friends in the face) or when defending objectives but only when I remember it.

Infiltrator: Ability Slot (Hunter Cloaking Device) - Your bread and butter and perhaps the reason you became an Infiltrator. Fast regen of our 12 second ability is probably better than the damage reduction while within cloak. At this loadout, long range and first infiltration, you will want this up and to use it often.

Infiltrator: Suit Slot (Ammunition Belt) - Wha, wha wha?!?!? Hear me out... When doing your primary loadout, you will want as much ammunition as possible. Odds are, you will be far from your squad/platoon (while still assisting their push in) and you need bullets to stay useful. Enough said.

Infiltrator: Grenade Slot (Decoy Grenades) - There is nothing more awesome than sensing/seeing an enemy on your flank approach, tossing this bad boy out and then going invis and moving. Switch to secondary and wait to knife, pop him in the back of the head. Frag grenades in this loadout is fine as well for one of the most important things we can do as a long range sniper is our initial infiltration (which will alternatively mean switching to our Secondary Loadout which I will explain below).

Infiltrator: Utility Slot (Claymores) - Yes. Just yes. Put it around your area of sniping to stave off getting flanked while zoomed in and doing your job of spotting, killing and pushing inward/outward/whathaveyou.

Now onto the next phase of the wonderments of this class. Actual Infiltration!

So I have found that when ground based in traveling around the map I choose the Primary Loadout. You push into the base via a sundy/armor column/flash/etc, cloak and head STRAIGHT for the Vehicle Pad. This is perhaps the most vulnerable we are ever going to be. Reasons for this is simple. You don't want enemy vehicles to be spawning, especially enemy sundy's. I do this also when Galaxy Dropped but if we are doing drops I usually start in the Secondary Loadout I will now break into. There are some changes to the skills so I will only list those as the rest stays the same.

My secondary loadout is as follows:

Primary - SOAS-20 with MH2 Reflex Sight, Suppressor, and Forward Grip. The 2x reflex sight is the most attractive to peer through and since most of your engagements will be middle to short range, you definitely don't need to zoom crazy sauce. People have said that the Forward Grip is hardly helpful but with future Dev tweaks I suggest you get it and stick it on. The Suppressor for obvious reasons. Stealth... You have entered an enemy base/outpost/etc. Stealth isn't foolproof but I have managed to duck and dodge out of fire. Adding potential confusion is always a good thing since we are not designed to win 1v1 on even footing.
    Secondary - Again not a big deal. I have the same secondary for both. I prefer the semi-auto pistol over the 3 burst only because I can shoot fast regardless.

My secondary skill allotment changes are as follows:

Infiltrator: Suit Slot (Advanced Shield Capacitor OR Nanoweave Armor) - Do you want more health or faster shield regen? You are infiltrating an enemy base. Your job is to first hack the vehicle pad, any turrets and resupply/air terminals. You aren't rambo so try NOT to get shot unless you absolutely know you can win the fight ahead of you. Yes you will die... Yes that will suck but we are not here to get hit so choose what you want.

Infiltrator: Grenade Slot (EMP Grenades or Frag) - Again, your choice. Eventually I want to get EMP Grenades just because I like versatility and uniqueness. As it stands, I use Frag. Killing people with big boom booms never hurts the cert hunt.

Hope this was helpful you Terran Republic awesomenaughts! As Infiltrators your job is simply to hack terminals and turrets so your squad/platoon can get a better foothold vs the enemy. The SAOS-20 burns through bullets so you choose the battles, not the other way around. Any questions? Comments? Keep it civil and helpful. If you disagree with me on anything, feel free to say so, hopefully with reasons why. If you want to bug me ingame, lemme know. I'm always happy to talk and help!
    • Up x 3
  2. TheCF

Wonderful, wonderful post. Love it.
    It seems we have the same taste for battle, although I prefer 10x when travelling and I'm planning to get the Semi-auto scout rifle instead. But a highly helpful post nonetheless!
  3. Raidashi

I just bought that rifle... i highly dont suggest it. I compared it to the NC Shadow... It takes an extra 2-3 hits to kill, and no difference in RoF. was disappointed...

What i would LOVE to use my sniper for would be to mark hostiles ahead of the group, call out targets getting close (marking them on the map) and taking body shots to soften up the crowd so my team can mow them down easier. Its ridiculously effective to just land a body shot on some one people are already shooting at and watch them just get wasted, but i've only done this by random chance. My server genudine doesnt seem to have any half baked NC outfits, and i'm no leader so that kinda sucks for me.
  4. Shaggit

Yo
    Personally I tried and even put an attachment on the HSR-1 (if I am correct into what that one is). I wasn't a fan either. Especially for close quarter engagements. I felt it kicked like a mule despite packing a punch. Perhaps it was the optic attachment I gave it... a very ugly box. Regardless it's unlocked and maybe in the future I'll work out a short/medium/long range loadout to play around with. You never know given what they might change. :)
  5. TheCF

Well, I just simply can't use automatic weapons. They're too chaotic for me and I get a little stressed when bumping into an enemy in close quarters... Which usually ends with me spraying my mag all over the place lol.
    Thay is, assuming you meant that you tried the TR semi-auto. HSR is full auto.
  6. Shaggit

The HSR-1 is a semi-auto. Not full auto. :) But I hear you about the stress of close combat. I recall a time I snuck up on an engineer manning a turret. I knifed twice, got two hit markers but was at such an angle that I was knifing the turret. The engi popped off and the ensuing gun battle got my heart racing! LOL
  7. Sworaven

Bought the HSR-1 as well. In my opinion, the vertical recoil is way too high to be effective. I'm actually like the TSAR-42 (or something like that) a lot more. I do however use my pistol a lot. But the TSAR-42 is good for situation where you want to decloak, headshot and cloak up again.
  8. Aktarus

why the 12X ? i find the 7X scale way better to evalutae the distance and keep follwing a target, as NC or TR i think its the best scope to land easy headshots.

and why a supressor on the soas20 ? those auto guns whaterver is your faction are actually underpowered .....the dmg and ammo are both really limited and the range too, i wouldnt limit the firepower even more with a supressor , people know from where you shot with their hit indicator anyway and other players around gonna see you , ear you or read the kill log anyway ...
  9. Kyutaru

This guide basically applies to all three factions since the sniper rifles are IDENTICAL. They just start with different default ones.
    • Up x 1
  10. Shaggit

I don't feel 30 certs is a lot to worry over so regarding why 12x and not 7x? It's personal preference. I like, with lag and framerate issues cropping up on occasion, a zoomed in perspective.

As for why the suppressor? The game is still new and tweaks are inbound. They still have a foregrip for bolt actions so who is to say how horrible something will ultimately be. I chose the suppressor solely because I like the tiny bit of stealth it provides. We are not designed to survive one on one engagements unless we get the jump or are masterful shots. I know that sometimes I'm better and sometimes I suck. Whatever gives me an advantage, no matter how small, I'll take it.

If you are attempting mid range or longer engagements with the saos-20, you are using it wrong. It's for close quarters only. Thusly the drawbacks of the suppressor aren't a big deal. Not everyone who plays are hardcore fps'ers. The majority of them don't know a lot about the game. I am among them in many regards. This is a big game. With certain nuanced mechanics. People can opt out of the suppressor easily. This wasn't a "must do" kinda guide. Merely what I found worked given the current metagame. :)
  11. Skeith

didnt know that angry joe played planetside 2

(big fan here<----)

and he plays TR too yay <3
  12. Aktarus

i was thinking the same thing, but in a many situations i've been really surprised by the effectiveness of it at mid range with the 3,4x scope, while many times in CqC with the 2X i've been disappointed because i missed 90% of my bullets while my red dot was right on my target where it should've been during my burst .

my prob with the supressor is not the cert cost, its just that i think it can make in many encounter the little difference that let or not the time to your opponent to turn back on you and spray your face before you can finish him.

i play infiltrator on both side NC and TR got the auto rifle for both and spended my cert in this class only and a few in the sundie to have a mobile personnal harrassment respawn point. but i have to say that actually im really sceptical about the inifltrator auto rifle. even in close range there is some semi auto snipes that are doing it better if you use a 2 or 4 X on it imo.
  13. Shaggit

I have recently acquired the EMP grenade. I know there's a lot of criticisms over some of these items but I will report my findings. Personally I can find definite use for these grenade types. Since a kick *** K/D isn't our primary goal, anything to further disrupt or grease the wheels of securing bases should be exploited. I am happy to have purchased these. :)
  14. blzbug

For my playstyle, I also much prefer the SOAS (fullauto) over the HSR (semi). I like to get in close, but I also suffer from poor FPS during bigger fights. With the semi-auto, after the first or 2nd hit (takes 4 bodyshots to kill) the target starts jumping around making it hard as heck to line up the other 2 shots. With the full auto, you can keep bursting and tracking them. The biggest drawback of the weak fullauto scout rifles is their crappy little magazine (20 rounds) and also crappy ammo supply (120). I have lost tons of 1-1 fights where the HA pops shield and I get him down to 20% health, but then I either have to reload or switch to repeater. During that time, he continues mashing down the LMB on his 100 round magazine... Other carbines get a 30 or 40 round mag. Why the frack is the full-auto scout rifle limited to 20? Oh right...SOE hates cqc infiltrators. If they didn't, they would have let us keep the shotgun...
  15. Benton!

From what I could see in the videos, the infiltrator shotty was OP, and does not fit the infiltrator style who should have silenced guns, not big *** in your face shotguns. However, I would LOVE a shotgun just because how much fun they would be :D
  16. blzbug

Most of the WTFBBQ shotgun videos are from when the shotgun was first released. It was WAY OP at first. Inf with shotgun could clear a room of 5 HA in seconds. This rapidly earned the combo a bad reputation that stuck even when the shotgun was nerfed to its current form.

Who's to say what the infiltrator "style" is? The cloak is a tool to help you get from point A to point B. Why are we restricted about what weapon we use when we get there? An unsilenced scout or sniper rifle makes plenty of noise. The sniper rifle is 5 feet long! Why is that ok, but a small lightweight shotgun is verboten? A shotgun is small enough for an LA to carry. LA can surprise you by landing on your head and unloading a shotgun. Why can't an inf surprise you by sneaking up with a shotgun?

SOE goofed up by making the shotgun itself OP when it launched. Then all the cries and moans doomed the inf/shotty combo, even though it was balanced just fine after the shotgun nerf.
  17. PanzerGoddess

what Id like to see, is a post using different rifles for the TR...this just another who ha post about the same stuff....so boring