TR Best Close/Medium Range

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Hyburnate, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Hyburnate

Hey, first I'll start by saying hey :)

I was invited to the Beta however never got round to actually playing the game after installing it. I missed out big time! I love the game after playing it for about 15 hours. At the minute I'm rolling with Random Squads whilst trying to get some friends to play.

I am currently TR and BR8, mainly I'm playing with the Light Class however I sometimes switch to the Infiltrator when needed as I'm not too bad with it. However I'm still using the default weapons on the light class however I have the DMO 3.4x on it, which isn't a too bad optic for the gun as I hip fire at close range and scope it at medium.

Now my normal play style is too try to pick people out in the open running from cover to cover whilst running to the points so I need a nice new gun that will do this pretty accurately, I know the default one isn't bad but I feel I need a little more kick. However when I get to the points I have tons of trouble beating them up close unless its a lower rank getting to grips with the game, now I will admit my aim isn't great but its not bad either. So any help would be appreciated.

tl;dr:
    TR looking for a Medium and Close range gun with a bit of punch and a little spread to allow a little off aiming at close range but hit those targets at close range.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Kyouki

Hey XD Not to try to ruin your style or anything but light assault doesn't work well at a far range. We are highly mobile flankers who in the right position can completely destroy the enemy team.

When it comes to your situation I would suggest the burst fire version of the stock weapon (for something quick and cheap) or the Trac-5 S( for something more permanent and expensive). Our weapons don't really give much kick but burst fire can help you control your shots at a range.

The trac AMC and the trac-5 S both have a different ammo type called high velocity ammo. This is supposed to increase your range and damage. (damage probably isn't very noticeable) I have both weapons and I honestly regret the AMC. I bought that weapon specifically so i could have a good ranged weapon. I never finished putting the certs into the upgrades because i never find myself in the situation where i want to shoot people from a distance.

I've seen a few people who have used the Trac 5 S and did not like it. Supposedly the recoil on it is horrendous. I find it very manageable. (If I'm shooting at a distance I will switch to semi auto fire so recoil doesn't matter as much in this situation for me) The most appealing thing about this weapon is the fact that it is our most versatile weapon as a Light assault. This weapon has every attachment we can get on a gun, including underbarrel shotgun and grenade launchers.

The LNCX might as well be a shotgun with all that fire rate.

The Trac AMC is 250 cert points and the Trac-5 S is a whopping 500 certs. The LNCX is an outrageous 1000 certs.

I highly recommend the Trac-5 S. It can potentially fulfill every role you would want to play as a light assault.
  3. Hyburnate

Thanks so much for that reply, its helped me a ton :D.

I may as well just save up the 500 Certs :) Got just under 100 already.

What would you suggest I get next after buying the main weapon attachment wise if you don't mind?
  4. Thrustin

If you are going to primarily stay in close range, I'd recommend the Lynx with a reflex sight and advanced laser sight. It tears people up. The advanced laser sight makes your hipfire accuracy extremely good so it saves you some time from having to go aim down sights in close quarter combat

Edit: Here are all the weapon datas https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=12

And here you find some other TR carbine reviews: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/best-tr-carbine.59816/
  5. DrTeeth

Lynx with Advanced Laser, Suppressor and whatever sight you like (you won't need to use it at room-clearing distances).
  6. KaosWarMonk

Re longer range shooting... Remember you can select fire with all weapons, B key by default. All do at least full and semi-auto. Quite a few also do 3 round burst. I use the Trac5S as well, does all 3 type of fire and has lots of add-ons. If you're wanting to shoot med-long switch to semi or 3RB. As others have stated tho it's not LA's strong suit.

I prefer a x2 reflex scope. Gives a little magnification, can be used up close and doesn't block your view.

As you've found going head to head is often difficult to win. A different weapon might help but IMO getting the drop on someone is more important. You need to get into an ambush situation to be sure to win the fight. If you're running up to an enemy's position and they see you but then duck out of sight don't keep going until you run into each other. Immediately change direction and/or jump over the obstacle so you end up either above or behind them.

Once you get some 'spare' points don't forget if you really want to own people up close get an auto shotgun (Nighthawk) with an extended clip.

Prob haven't answered your question but I was on a roll, lol

Have fun
  7. gunshooter

The new Jaguar is pretty much the best all around weapon. It's the only TR carbine with balanced recoil and it gets an advanced laser for hipfiring.
  8. Wolfwood82

This isn't exactly true. I find myself wishing I had better range a lot more often then I do appreciating my mobility. Our mobility is actually what often forces myself into positions where medium range engagements are preferable to close quarters. Usually outdoor combat that denies a lot of flanking movement or base courtyard combat that is still loose enough to deny defined front line engagements.
  9. MarlboroMan-E

I run the AMC with 2x, foregrip, high velocity and recently added a suppressor. Domination at medium range, slight disadvantage at hipfire range, mediocre at long range (but probably the best of the TR for long range.) Honestly, if you want to get in rooms and tangle with dudes, go with a shotgun. My favorite application of the LA is getting on a roof or a tree on a flank or behind the enemy. AMC is great for that.