Thoughts on sniper gear and gun attachments.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Zcuron, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Zcuron

One quickly notices the distinct absence of usable gun attachments for snipers, here are some of the things which have previously been brought up on other forum threads, the intent of this thread being speculation on what the future holds, and what could work, and is by no means to be limited by my few, albeit lengthy, examples.

I'll start out by stating that I didn't participate in the beta, so I just don't know what the certs looked like before they were cleaned up for launch - if someone here cares to enlighten me about what was previously there that would be great.

I have seen wishes for the following:
    1. Rangefinder
    Will this include a zeroing function for guns?//Do you think it should?

For those unfamiliar with zeroing, you basically draw a number from the rangefinder, followed by adjusting your scope, which then allows you to aim with the cross-hairs instead of compensating by aiming above.

(Here's a link, demonstrating it in "DayZ" - a rangefinder would basically find that value instead of forcing you to do "all that work", and you'd enter it into the scope, somehow. (or have it automatically adjusted))

If so, this will allow for some incredibly long-range sniping -should it be allowed- combined with the infiltrator view change which is to be implemented some time in the future.

(I don't recall what it was called, and if "view change" isn't clear enough I'm thinking about the intended change(indicated by developer interview) for infiltrators to allow character models to load where the sniper is looking instead of merely around the sniper, allowing for longer range sniping)

In any case, if you want to be "realistic" with "future tech", I think it's entirely reasonable for this process to be built into a scope and automated in the future, but if you want to be friendly to the balance of the game, perhaps that wouldn't be a good idea.

Instead, having the rangefinder be an alternative to the sensor darts, building in some advanced spotting options from afar with a variable zoom perhaps, increasing maximum magnification with levels or something of that sort would be a little better, as it's essentially a fancy pair of binoculars.

I suppose the cloak isn't of much use once you're out of the view range of the people you're sniping.

2. Bipod
    This would require a prone position, alternatively calling it "stabilizer" and skipping the prone business.
    Though, a prone sniper with cloak engaged would be damned hard to see...

An alternative that comes to mind from this form of reducing sway would be an alternative to the sensor darts, one which allows you to hold your breath longer.

3. Alternative ammo types.
    While I haven't "seen" any discussion about this, I don't doubt their existence somewhere.

With my main experience being with the Vanu, the first thing that comes to mind would be the possibility of choosing between bullet drop and straight firing through ammo - with the required balance adjustments of course.

I suppose snipers of other factions might welcome this choice as well - though giving every possibility to everyone will surely make the different factions much less distinct, which seems like a negative thing to me at least.

Some sort of armour-piercing bullets that could perhaps pass through light entrenchments for reduced damage?

Beyond that, there's always the more mundane slight alterations such as more powerful ammo with more bullet drop, faster but lighter ammunition, and other such variants, but more isn't always better...

====================

I trust my choice of words such as "I suppose", "perhaps" and so forth represent my speculative mind accurately, I have no aversion to changing my mind on the fly should someone present me with something convincing.

What do you think would be cool//useful//other for the infiltrator?
  2. Tenebrae Aeterna

I would love to see a Bipod and Rangefinder with a zeroing in feature implemented, surely two things I'd get for my rifle.
    • Up x 1
  3. Caspartine

You are refering to current render distance problem, which directly affects sniping infiltrators and pilots. Thing is, players render at much shorter distances that vehicles (and this isn't a set value, it changes accordingly to how many players are in the area). What you don't see, you don't hit, even if you know it's there (righ, Libby gunners?:)) This makes long range shots pretty much non-existent. The solution (partly) could be to adjust the render distance once you rmb to scope, as you mentioned, but it hardly solves the general problem.

Anyway, my post is quite OT, so I would add that I'd really like more attachments, espcially for bolt-action rifles, where is literally nothing usefull except scopes(foregrip, really?). Bipod sounds sweet, but comes with the proning implementation problem, which I don't see happening.
  4. Zcuron

The only problem with bipod is a logical issue due to it's name, could simply call it stabilizer and give it the same effect.
    Hence, if prone is no good, stabilizer it is.

I played infiltrator when I started, but hardly do so any more - mostly sunderer+infantry(preference: MED = ENG > HA, but usually pick what seems to be required at the time.) now, with some hints of magrider(saron is evil) & scythe.

A digression worth noting - I've been sniped at a few times, and it hurts when they hit, sometimes you even die, but I can't really say that snipers are overpowered, so throwing them some tools doesn't bother me, I probably won't go back to them now that I've started having fun with medic & engineer...

But you never know.

I would like to see the ability to go prone added though, both for added invisibility and for steadier shots (all classes) and the bipod for those who want such a thing. (reduced sway for snipers, increased accuracy for others? - with a tooltip to reflect this - perhaps the foregrip could be changed in a similar fashion?)
    • Up x 1
  5. Takoita

Like someone already mentioned in another thread, there is no need to add a rangefinder - one just needs to compare the size of the target's profile to your 'tick marks' on the scope. The scopes would need to be adjusted to better implement this, yes, but IMHO it is an easier solution that would require time and effort on the player's part but would still effectively solve the problem.
  6. Vepo

I don't need a rangefinder and I can pull this off:

7. Zcuron

Point taken, and duly agreed with.

There're threads all over the place with "buff hacking" "need cqc" and other such things that have already been confirmed to be in the works once they get around to patching classes, so I thought a discussion about unconfirmed things might be more interesting.

As for sniping;
    Moving headshots are hard T.T (stationary aren't)
    I suppose I'll return to infiltrators sometime to practice, I always like a challenge. (and hiding in bases is fun!)