This magical thing called "recoil"....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Grayson, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Achmed20

well the simple way to see this is,
    - action, accellerate bullet
    - reaction, bullet is accelerted :D

while its kinda easy to see on a normal rifle (explosion, massic smoke coming out of the barrel), who of us has ever seen a real gasuss rifle?
  2. EvilKoala

Pretty much this. Also, what you describe is a recoiless rifle, and have been around since the 1920s I believe and are still widely in use today (AT-4, Carl Gustav, etc..).
  3. Vachek

And if one person weighs 400 lbs and the other weighs 1 lb ......?
    If you line up multiple 400 lb people that pull the 1lb person in succession?
    The amount of energy expended far exceeding the minute mass of the projectile produces how much reaction/counter force/recoil?

I don't know why everyone feels the need to point this out, i'm not disagreeing, im pointing out it doesn't apply to the point. Just like a rocket or missle launcher uses conservation of momentum if you use a magnetic force to push and pull a projectile it doesn't negate newton's law, it doesn't apply. Electromagnetic field applys force, free floating or low friction projectile reacts. No different than a mag-lev train or a roller coaster.

Flare, those vidoes are not proper coil guns as they only have one power lead and one coil. Unless i'm missing something, any HD or better links?
  4. Flarestar

We feel the need to point it out because you're wrong. Newtonian physics absolutely apply to electromagnetic propulsion. The example you make of rocket and missile launchers doesn't even follow the same model - the propulsion (force) is being provided by the engine of the missile, not by the launching tube. In the case of a railgun or a coilgun, the rail or coil provides the force. Hence why it's affected.

Why are you even arguing about this? It clearly applies, I even posted two videos demonstrating the fact. Stop being ignorant.
  5. Sebyos

Was thinking the same thing until I started playing VS and realized I was just playing against a lot of aimbotters. No matter the faction, you can't lay 5-6 consecutive shots on a target at 400m+. If someone do, report him.
  6. Mietz

Physics fail
    • Up x 2
  7. Achmed20

well it was just a basic example. if you wan exact numbers head over to wikipedia (railgun). tons of math there ;)

for the multiple 400 lbs guys, would be the same result. the force will jsut be transfered to the next guy.
  8. EvilKoala

9. Achmed20

forgot something,
    a rocket accellerates itself. thats why he barrel of rocketlauncher is usualy open to the back (and thats also why you should stand behind them). there is no force applied to the barrel because goes directly through it therefore it has no kickback.

for the railgun part, just get a magnet, lay it on the table, then grab a piece of metal and wave it close to the magnet. as you can see the magnet starts to move. same goes for a railgun. the propelled item moves the barrel. the faster its propelled, the stronger it will move it.
  10. Achmed20

11. Flarestar

You don't need multiple coils or multiple power leads to create a proper coil gun. One is sufficient for small projectiles with a low velocity. And adding more doesn't change the physics involved in a coil gun - the coils only provide a pull force, they're energized sequentially and switched off as the projectile passes them.

Unfortunately pretty much anyone doing tests with a larger version of a homemade coil or rail gun has them secured down pretty heavily. The closest thing I found with a larger version is this:

At 0:14 he fires a shot with part of the guide visible, and it clearly kicks back slightly from the shot.

Rail guns in particular it's extremely hard to find a video showing the recoil, since pretty much everyone that builds a prototype bolts the rails to a heavy table to counteract the problem of the rails themselves pushing against each other, thus transferring the recoil into the table itself and making it near-imperceptible.

In both cases, at the end of the day, if the projectile goes this way:

<------

The rails or coil tries to go this way:

------>

The fact that the propulsion is being generated by an electromagnetic field doesn't change that.
  12. Artoriusaurus Rex

Now, I'm not any kind of expert, nor do I have anything other than an ultra basic understanding of a theoretical GAUSS rifle, but here my question: Since the GAUSS bullet has its force embued from the coils around (and not behind) the bullet, wouldn't the "opposing force" required by Newton's Law be against those surrounding coils instead of the back of the weapon?

One thing's for sure, if the NC's GAUSS weapons were "realistic (tm)" they'd be almost silent instead of the most powerful sounding weapons in game. At least, I think.
  13. Achmed20

you can kinda answer that yourself by asking yourself "where are those coils attached?"

for the sound, if its breaking the speed of sounds, it will create a sonic wave sounding like an explosion.
    and if not, the bullet still moves air therefore creating sound of some type.
    thats what normals explosions do. move air -> create sound.
  14. Flarestar

Yes, on a broad level. But because the electromagnets and coils are pulling/pushing against the projectile at angle that's either oblique or acute to the barrel, depending on the current location of the projectile and the weapon type, rather than perpendicular to the barrel, and because the electromagnets/coils are attached to the barrel itself, that translates into making the weapon as a whole recoil in a similar fashion to a traditional firearm.
  15. Zeke342

1. Shoot at a wall from about 20-30 meters.
    2. Don't compensate recoil. Just fire.
    3. Memorize the bullet pattern.. (up and to the left, up, or up and to the right usually)
    4. Do the opposite of the pattern when firing your gun.
    5. ???
    6. Profit. Little to no recoil. Works with every faction.

I'll even link you to a NC player showing how to compensate for recoil.

Literally took 2 seconds to find that video.

Now. Everyone quit complaining that the other faction has no recoil. It makes you look like a moron. Regardless of what faction you play on and what gun you use.. when you shoot that gun it's gonna bounce around. Don't say "dont say well EVERY VS gun has less recoil than all the TR and NC guns!" That is just stupid. Some VS guns have less, some TR guns have less, and some NC guns have less. Regardless of the gun, the steps above and that video make every gun, on every faction, have extremely low recoil and after a day of practicing and memorizing the recoil pattern, should have virtually no recoil.
  16. Vachek

Watch again in amazement as the US Navy test fires its 8 lb projectile from its 9 megajoule rail gun that sitting on a damn rail moves...an inch? Holy Crap that's some crazy recoil. Again, stop trying to troll.

Or how about this:

Simple aligned magnetic forces, push countering pull along the projectile. I think the weight of that bearing compared to the aluminum frame holding the magnets is of special note. He holds it in place with the touch of his finger, and it barely moves when he puts it on a slight incline.

More links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=iv&src_vid=RKyGDWeblQw&v=yMoIExJEaBU

Or in common use today:
  17. Artoriusaurus Rex

Ah, I get it now. Thanks. ;)

So, in theory, is a GAUSS rifle ultimately superior to a conventional rifle? Or does the TR have a good reason to stick with gunpowder weapons while the NC and VS take more advanced weapons?
  18. Nikushimi

If you're talking about RL physics then you would be wrong, newtons third law does not care if its gas propelled or magnetic, only the mass of the projectile and its rate of acceleration. single coil/rail guns can have much greater kickback/recoil over gas propelled due to the rate of acceleration.
  19. Iksniljiksul

TR and VS both have recoil, NC stock weapons just have more. Every faction has to deal with recoil issues, what they do is spend certs on augments that lower recoil. What VS has is zero bullet drop (until extreme ranges). I know for a fact, playing all three factions and certing up weapons to max, that every faction has a lot of recoil.

What is funny is that actual firearms do not recoil up and to the right. Quality firearms recoil BACK which translates to motions due to the way people shoulder the weapon. Expert marksmen do not have this absurd amount of recoil. Why can't we cert for weapon control beyond dorky attachments to the visual aspect of the gun?

Stupid to have this be a so-called MMO and not allow us to adjust our character stats. It is not a true MMO until we have stats.
  20. Seryi

About sums up my thoughts.