Third mine worth it?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by MacGringo, Dec 9, 2012.

1. MacGringo

Right now I have about 112 certs, and i've been thinking about saving up 200 to be able to get a third AT mine. I was wondering if its worth it.

Right now mines have been a consistent killer for me. But since it only takes 2 to kill vehicles I'm wondering about the utility of a third one (too bad you can't eventually place FOUR mines, because then you could potentially knock out 2 vehicles with 2 pairs of mines!).

There's also the utility pouch, which gives access to more mines, but the annoying thing is it gives +1 C4 first (which I dont have).

Over time I predict an arms race, with people starting to take mineguards. During quieter periods of the day, a mineguard is a better upgrade since planting mines during those times is a good force multiplier. By being able to plant more mines, I can ensure I still blow up that tank that happens to drive over them. But 200 certs can buy me a lot of little upgrades which makes me wonder whether to get the 3rd mine now or later.
  2. Wibin

Mines are the best weapon for engineers.

I'm tempted to save points just for an Infiltrator so I can sneak around and put down mines as well.
  3. Goats

I think for now you're better off staying with two mines. People seem determined not to put mineguard on their vehicles, because they want their 12% less damage against other things (or something like that). For now, just spend the cert on the little upgrades.
  4. MacGringo

Good point. Also, for a weapon that generally takes 2 to kill a vehicle, having 3 is an awkward number.
  5. FrothyMug

99% of vehicle drivers are not going to get mine guard. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I waited until I had 800 certs at one time and spent them all to start carrying four mines. I just wish the third claymore pocket wasn't the final upgrade. I love claymores too...
  6. Talizzar

I thought the mine nerf was getting reversed this week?

I kill plenty of vehicles with one mine. It is amazing the number of vehicles that run around at less than 100% repair.
  7. FrothyMug

That's a good point. I might actually alter my placement pattern to better maximize my mines' usefulness. Right now, I just place them in pairs, side by side on the road with about 1-2 meters between them. I might actually go for a staggering pattern so if a vehicle just needs one mine to die, it won't unnecessarily set off another.
  8. Vorpal

It only takes a single mine to kill a guy on a flash :)

Sometimes I'll hide behind cover and then go put a mine behind a damaged enemy tank. When it backs up over my mine trying to get into cover, the single mine can usually kill it.
  9. Eric Smith

Love my explosives. I want to eventually get 4 mines, but for now 2 is enough. I gotta get some C4 going for my Engy as well - love it in my LA (was doing suicide runs into a tech plant with C4 and grenades, getting 5+ kills, 1000+ XP - lalalalalala BOOM!). Claymores are fun too. One night I was playing BioLab defense and kept getting reliable kills by putting Claymores at the generator. Similarly, in Tech Plants I place them at the bottom of the lift from the roof. One time I placed a Claymore, turned around and too 3 steps and heard a Boom. Turned back and there was a HA almost dead, shot him down then replaced my Claymore.

For now I think 2 mines is enough. If someone is smart enough to get a Mine Guard they probably have multiple levels, so even 3 mines probably won't do it. Eventually max it out to 4 mines, but stick with 2 for the time being.
  10. Dr ZErO

As a dedicated engineer I'm going to share something with you guys you'll LOVE!
    I have mines max certed so i have 3
    I have anti personnel mines max certed so i have 2
    I have the first c4 cert plus the first utility belt certed so i have 2 c4

Saving up 400 certs for that 4th mine is a *****! There is always something in the 100-200 range your tempted to get.

So your saying, "man i wish I could instant kill 2 vehicles at once without mineguard but I only have 3 mines plus 2 c4"

Now I"m going to preface this by saying IT IS NOT OVERPOWERED DEVS, DONT CHANGE THIS CAUSE IT'S FREAKING HARD!!!!!! and should be rewarded.

Place 1 Mine run back and grab c4, you can drop it directly on the mine. When a vehicle runs over the mine it sets off the c4, the explosive power stacks and you get a kill like 2 mines. I've gotten MBT insta kills with this but have not gotten a chance to see if it insta kills sundys, but since i have 2 c4 I could place 2 c4 on the mine and i'm sure it would.

Keep in mind if you die the c4 disappears! So no, this is not OP! It requires you to be near a terminal, takes twice the time to setup and will be negated if you die. Everybody dies alot in this game so if you get a kill this way you deserve it. Plus it takes more resources so you should be rewarded.

Placing a anti personnel mine on top of a anti tank mine will insta kill a max or anything for that matter.....

Again devs don't change this, it costs an extreme amount of resources, takes double the time to set up and in the case of the c4 disappears when you die.

Enjoy my engineer brethren!
  11. blzbug

You are still limited by your overall deployment max, in some way.
    I had an inf certed for 1 claymore, and my engy certed for 1 claymore. I snuck into an outpost, dropped my inf claymore at the cc, hacked a term, pulled engy, dropped that claymore on the other side of the cc. When I dropped the engy claymore, the inf claymore disappeared...
  12. Compass

When you have two, you always wish have more.

When you have three, you usually wish you had four.
  13. snu

I have 4 mines, and I can safely say, best certs i Ever spent.

Especially when 12/12 sundies run over 2 mines, then a prowler following him runs over the next pair...

Fastest certs i ever made during double xp weekend hehehe
  14. Uzii

Nice post, but this isn't true, unless it has been stealth changed in a patch recently. You can even detonate your left over C4 when you respawn.
  15. Dr ZErO

Awesome! Did not know that. Thanks for the Info! I'll check that out today to confirm.
  16. Funzo

I had a light assault fly over my lightning and drop C4 on the tank. Since he charged me down, it was obvious what he was doing. I killed him before he could trigger, for which I was relieved. However, shortly after, just about respawn time, an explosion rocked my tank. Didn't destroy me, but I learned a valuable lesson about getting charged down with C4.
  17. SixVoltSamurai

Yep, I couldn't agree more. Just yesterday I got 2 mag kills with 3 mines in the same area. I guess the first mag exploding in front of the guy wasn't enough of a hint not to go that way. Good times. :D Also, I like to put a single one ahead of my two that I set just in case some pesky flash comes through. Such a waste of good mines if he tags all 3.
  18. MacGringo

Its so funny when you get lazy, put mines in really obvious places, and people still run over them. I planted a pair in the middle of the road in this flat, desert area of indar. There's no real need to use the road there- the ground is so flat you could go a million different ways to the next base.

Not two minutes later, I killed a Prowler that had two guys in it. Must have been frustrating to be out in the middle of nowhere and blow up from a mine. I mean, what are the odds?
  19. FrothyMug

I had something similar happen to me during the end of Beta. I told this story in another thread a couple of weeks ago...

I was holding a small base on Indar with some squad mates when we were getting shot at by a Magrider from Snake Ravine. I wasn't going to have any of this, so I took a Flash and drove up to him. He was hovering near a large stone south of Snake Ravine, so I snuck up on him and threw two mines down. However, he moved just in time and then saw me. After dancing around the rock for awhile, trying to lure him into my mines, a friendly HA put a rocket into his tailpipe and blew him up. I lamented the fact that I'd wasted two mines and couldn't pick them up. I had considered shooting them just for shiggles and moving on, but I decided not to do so. About ten minutes later while I was helping to defend The Crown, I got a Sunderer kill notification and the +XP notifications went on for quite some time. I counted the number of death messages and it added up to six. I couldn't help but smile at the situation, especially considering that my mines were placed in the middle of a field next to a large boulder and that I had almost blown them up. What are the odds of that guy driving right over them in that spot?? I was a lucky man that day.
  20. Aelloon

C4 is way superior to mines. Mines are basically "well, I hope someone is stupid enough to run over this before someone with IRNV/mineguard/HE shells comes around" whereas you can do so much cool stuff with C4. I unlocked 3 - it's pretty damn amazing since you can kill any ground vehicle 100%. If you could carry mines and C4 both I'd probably drop them once in a while but I sure as hell am not going to pick them over C4.