Thermal worth it on Wraith?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Dragonblood, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Dragonblood

Thermal worth it on the Wraith? Does thermal give any advantage at all?
  2. bebbly

I remember seeing a video showing the differences between Night vis and thermal. basically thermal has worse range and cost 4x as much. it was pretty old vid, so not sure if any changes have been made since then, but I guess a bit of testing in VR training could help.
  3. Dragonblood

yeah, wondering if it was reworked or if it's still that useless.
  4. Timeraider

I still think Night Vision is better then Thermal as there still is almost zero difference aside from NV being cheaper and having longer range
  5. Manetheren

Go NV (50 certs) for ground vehicles, take Thermal on an ESF if you're a dedicated pilot, tho NV is just as good, it's just less fancy shmancy
  6. Dragonblood

So many things that could need a rework in this game.....
  7. FoulFoot

Thermal makes people, vehicles, and turrets stand out much better; they're hot white with an orange glow, and everything else is dark. Night vision shows lot of other things as white as well -- terrain changes, building edges, etc. I've used both quite a bit, and I prefer thermal -- but doubtful it's worth the cert premium, unless you got certs to burn.

I'm also not sure thermal's range is shorter -- they seem about equal. As a person/vehicle gets further away on thermal, they turn increasingly darker orange, but they're still easy to see.

With night vision, I'll often miss a crouched player standing still, if he's up against some terrain. With thermal he's clear as day. I do think that for the amount of certs, thermal should be able to spot cloaked players. A little realism is probably appropriate too -- neither vision should function in the day, and night vision should just paint everything in shades of green (basically turning nighttime into a green-shaded daytime. A person standing still and/or otherwise camouflaged should be very hard to spot with night vision).

Foul
  8. Ztiller

Thermal makes it easier to see through bush, and it doesn't make the whole world green. It is without a doubt nicer than the IRNV.

But i wouldn't pay 150 certs extra for it.
  9. TheRighteous

Thermal is slightly clearer, and as ztiller said, easier to see through bushes, however, just for that its not worth it.
  10. OldMaster80

Best combo with Wraith imho is the Fury cannon. Thermal is not mandatory at all.
  11. Dragonblood

yeah, my fury's magazine is already maxed. That thing is brutal.

@Righteous: That's just meh for 200 certs.
  12. Frosty The Pyro

thermal has less range, but within the range it can see it is better. So the question is weather the improved visability is worth the reduced range for you. Many people answer no, some people answer yes. The VR room now makes answering such a question on a personal level much less costly.
  13. EViLMinD

I use a Furry (w/ extra ammo capacity) to sneak up on folks and blast 'em into oblivion. It's one of the funnest ways to kill.

I use NV, but I plan to upgrade to Thermal because it will make tracking targets around me much easier when I'm buzzing around with practically no defenses. I need to know what is hiding around each corner or rock.

Thermals limited range really isn't an issue because the fury's range is so short. I really don't benefit from NV's extra range.
  14. Mustarde

I'm just new beginning to discover the fun and power of the flash, with wraith and fury. The NV is more than adequate for most uses and I haven't bothered to try the thermal.

It has been worth every cert invested so far. I really need to use it more often!
  15. EViLMinD

I just unlocked thermals. I'll post my thoughts once I get some field testing in.

Right now, I'm not concerned about wasting certs because there will be a cert-undo utility released in the near future. I've wasted a lot of certs at this point. It will be great to re-spend them on things I know are worth it.
  16. Astraka

Check this out for some excellent Wraith gameplay. Quadron uses the Thermal Vision + the Fury to maximum effect.

• Up x 2
  17. Dragonblood

even the 1000 certs for the 9th grenade are worth it. You WANT THAT LAST GRENADE REALLY BAD, if you're behind an almost dead tank.

@Evilmind: The thing is.......it actually has quite some range.....you need the first 2 grenades to readjust for the following ones on long ranges.....that's also a reason why you want a big magazine.
  18. EViLMinD

Well... my testing has shown me that both optics are worth using. Absolutely. I'll be swapping between thermal and NV depending on the terrain I'm hunting in:

In flatter open fields, NV works best because of the extra range.

Thermals are more useful in denser environments where I benefit more from being able to quickly and easily spot any targets that might otherwise be hidden from my view.

On another subject... I highly recommend matching Wraith Cloaking utility with Stealth defense. One level of stealth is all you need to be invisible to enemy radar.

Also, Scrapper chassis is the best overall. It`s meant for off-roading and hill climbing. Racer chassis is practical on flatter terrain and for faster transportation. Rival just doesn`t to offer much of an advantage.
  19. Dragonblood

yeah, but in combat situations I find the racer chassis is lacking the smaller turning radius of the combat chassis. Speed doesn't help anyway against tanks that lead their aim.
  20. SpaceKing

Someone told me Thermal reveals cloaks?