There must be something wrong with the pounder

Discussion in 'MAX' started by OldMaster, May 6, 2013.

1. OldMaster

It can't be that the Tr AV pounder intentionally works this way.
    - It's too much difficult to aim something, even if it's not moving.
    - It makes almost no indirect damage to infantry.
    - It can't hit enemy closer than 10-15 meters.
    - It can't be used combined with another weapon such an AI (like mercy or cycler) because it shots off centre.

It's ridiculous. No one would use it seriously.
    An HA with the standard rocket launcher is much more dangerous...
    • Up x 6
  2. Compass

I tried the new TRAV weapons out in the firing range. It felt like Super Pounders. As far as I'm concerned, they've made them obsolete.
    • Up x 2
  3. JackOfClubs

Not sure about that first one. How? Why?
    None of the AV MAX weapons have significant splash damage.
    Yes it can. Left right left. You know.
    Again, you can adjust the aim. You just shouldn't use both at the same time. You need to get out of the mindset that wielding two MAX weapons simultaneously is an advantage over the HA having to switch. It's actually meant to cripple you. And make you spend more money. Mostly the latter.
  4. OldMaster

This confirms my theory: dual pounder is rubbish.
    It's so difficult to hit something because of the huge gravity of the bullets. You can't exactly estimate where the bomb will drop. And what do I do with such a weak weapob if I can't use 2 at the same time with a close target?? It makes no sense: if someone runs over me with c4 I can't try to shot him because the bombs pass behind him.
    I would have expect at least a bit of splash damage against infantry. Probably one of the 3 most useless weapons of ps2.
    • Up x 2
  5. Goldy

Ya, the projectile offset ruins the weapon. Which is shame.

It's like a close range anti-armor weapon that can't hit anything at close range. Odd weapon.
    • Up x 2
  6. OldMaster

I tried today and I must be honest, there is something that dual pounder can do well: destroy lightnings. For the rest is terrible.
    The first ammo clip is used to calibrate the aim. It does no damage to MBT (and this is correct) but it's quite impossible to hit something like furies or harassers.
    I haven't stil tried against other maxes because I always die before I can...
  7. Pikachu

Ever since I tested playing terran in the old days I found the pounders to be meaningless. No surprise I never faced any terran dual wielding them. Not even today with higher damage and twice as big magazine the pounders are good enough. The new fractures does everything the pounder does but better. In the old days pounders had slower projectiles than falcons which I never saw as fair. I thought they should have equal speed. They also have way too much drop. Their effective range is like 1/3 of the old faclon. I think pounders should have almost as good range as old falcons and their ROF increased from 0.5 to 0.33.

Fracture kills infantry in 3 hits just like pounder but has bigger magazine, smaller drop, faster speed, no smoke trails that obscures his vision.

It is true that pounders have higher damage per minute than most of the other MAX AV weapons (comets having the highest) but the areas where it's lacking completely overshadows that. Comets and falcons were underpowered in the old days but could work for some guilty pleasure. Pounders were just useless.

When thinking about it it's rather strange that they decided that the new TR MAX AV weapons would should be of the "fast" firing type just like pounder. We NC had our slow firing falcon and got a more fast firing weapon with the special laser guidance feature. Vanu had a slow firing weapon as well and they got a weapon that can either shoot fast weak shots or slow powerful. "Let's just give TR a better version of their pounder" was the thoughts of SOE.
  8. DCWarHound

Would be nice if the pounder was changed to be a large area of effect bombardment weapon,not sure why TR get such a crappy starting weapon.It's useless against vehicles because of low direct damage and useless against infantry because of the low damage and small blast radius.

Either replace it with something like the Fury (the one usually mounted on vehicles) or give it more explosive damage and blast radius.

Something like 1.5 meter from center blast radius,anything caught in the inner blast radius takes 2/4 damage and anything in the outer blast radius takes 1/4 damage meaning duel pounders should be OHK in the inner blast radius.The ROF could prob be slowed to make it less effective in close range so it shines at medium-long range bombardment against infantry waves.
  9. Dragonblood

I find them very good at destroying tanks, if you get a feeling for the handling......but it's complete rubbish against even single infantry units that get too close and you can't combine them with AI weapons since your aim is ******.
  10. Fumblewatt

Pounder: High skill cap
    Fracture: Low skill cap
  11. OldMaster

If you have both pounders you can start shooting with the left one. When you shooted the 3rd bolt, you can press the right button too, so you can shoot without ever stopping, because when 1 recharges, the other keep shooting.
    For tank drivers is quite scarry.
    • Up x 1
  12. Pikachu

Yeah I tried this too the first day they increased the pounder magazine. Still doesn't make them good enough compared to other default MAX AV weapons and certainly not compared to fracture. Btw when I use fractures I tend to not shoot both at the same time, having more a continuous stream of mini grenades. :D Not sure if it has any special effect though, just annoying for the enemy I bet.

Still can't possibly be as good at that as falcons and comets due it's huge drop. It does have higher damage per minute though, just slightly.
  13. Fumblewatt

Falcons and Pounders got a high skill cap, even against infantry, sure you will miss if you aim directly at them at close range, compensate by shooting left and right, its guns like these that SOE should release, guns that you have to train with to get good. All im seeing are these face-roll guns comming out
  14. Tungsten

Do you use the pounders?
    • Up x 2
  15. MorganM

It's a shame they adjusted the Pounder but didn't really fix it. It's slightly better than it was but I'd still never spend the SC/Certs to get another and never use the single. Why on earth would I use the Pounders? There are half a dozen more effective AV weapons out there.

I haven't actually used the Facture yet but it looks awesome. The fact I see lots of ppl dual wielding them tells me they are much better then the Pounder right there! Will likely end up spending the SC to buy two and never look back at the Pounder.

Why not just remove the Pounder and replace it with the Fracture? Refund or replace those that bought a second Pounder. There's really no point in having it now.
  16. Pikachu

A problem is that pounder and fracture at too similar in what kind of weapon they are. They're both simple weapons that favor ROF over damage. Falcon/raven and comet/vortex has much more difference between each other.
    • Up x 1
  17. Makora

At this point... I dunno, maybe rebalance pounders into a more "mortar" role. Keep or even up the damage, buff the blast radius and damage, nerf the fire rate.

Bring the rain.
  18. Pikachu

If you buff the damage then they're going to get close to comets. How come such a small weapon as the pounder could do as much damage as a comet and also have 2 times the amount of ammo in it's magazine? :confused: It would just be silly.

Both pounder and fracture are weapons that focus on ROF rather than damage and there aren't many options in how to make them both useful and different from each other. Falcons focus on damage at the cost of ROF and comets are in the middle. Right now the pounder has no purpose. The fracture was a bad idea.

Also they are still going to release that frag cannon right? That takes away the possibility of the pounder being turned into a frag grenade launcher.
  19. Makora

As I have not used the comet I don't know how it handles compared to the pounder. But doesn't comet fire in a straight line? The Pounder arcs quite much and I have more luck with it, making enemy armor back off by basically mortaring the rock the tin-can's hiding behind.
    Also, the TR in the game is the military arm that has had hundereds of years to pick and choose weapons and tactics. A good mortar is nothing to scoff at in any age.

Simply switching the gun from a lot of rounds down range, to considerable damage down range but with more pauses. I'd propose decreasing the mag back to 3 shells (or even 2) and making the rounds have a far larger blast radius.
    OR, a mag unlock for the gun (it has no cert unlocks) that replaces the AT shells with AI shells. More drop, less damage against armor but more effective against infantry?
    Using this gun in close quarters is already nearly impossible. Especially if you have an another pounder as the rounds don't begin at your face (or chest) but somewhere near the shoulders (?) and you can simply miss the target at 10 meters because both shells just fly past the enemy.
    • Up x 1
  20. curly

I have no problem with the pounders arc, you learn to compensate and it makes those longer range kills feel epic. High skill cap, fine by me.

However the close range convergence bug kills any desire I have to use this weapon over the fracture. firing one at a time doesn't make them converge correctly. The only way is to purposefully aim 1-2cm to the side of your infantry target. Pounders won't be a viable weapon until this is fixed.
    • Up x 1