There is not one Planetside: The servers are wildly different and changes effect them differently

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by FrankManic, May 2, 2013.

1. FrankManic

I want to bring attention to this, as much for the players posting here as anything.

Many of the complaints and concerns that the playerbase have don't make any sense to me, at all, and I'm starting to realize why - The server and faction I play make planetside a totally different game for me than it is for others. The idea that VS Mattherson needs Lattice to encourage constant large-scale fighting is absurd. During Prime-time and especially during Alerts Mattherson is filled with large scale, platoon on platoon or bigger fights as well as dozens of smaller actions. Large battles during Mattherson prime-time will often see many adjacent hexes that are all Platoons v Platoons. Squads vs. Squads battles will stitch a rough but consistent front line across the map and "Ghost Capping" exists mostly in peoples heads - In reality any minor incursions are stopped within minutes because there are dozens of squad and outfit leaders monitoring the maps at all times, communicating over /leader and /orders chat, and tamping down on attempted ghost caps as they happen.

That's Mattherson. Why would you add Lattice to that? the battles are already there, the coordination is there, the front lines are stable and readily visible to anyone who can read the Map. Mattherson thrives on a very high level of metagame, large and extremely well organized outfits, and the cutting edge of tactics.

Does that sound like your server? Yes? then you're playing the same game I am. But if not? Well, that might explain why some people approve of a given change while others are appalled by it - We're effectively playing totally different games.
    • Up x 11
  2. Whiteagle

Uh yeah... but just because you have a highly played Server with large, well connected Outfit Alliances doesn't mean that EVERY Server is going to be able to develop that...
    Hell, I think I've been a part of two or three attempts to organize the Terran Republic on Waterson, but due to personality conflicts amongst the various leadership figures as well as the rather casual nature of the Waterson TR Outfits in general these don't produce the same results as our much better connected Vanu Alliance counterparts.

We've got one person over at Planetside Universe claiming that the Terran Republic should Boycott on May 4th and that he's talked this over with various Outfit Leaders...
    ...But even though he's a Waterson Player, the most this information will get out of your average Waterson Terran is a "Wat defuq u talking 'bout?"
    • Up x 1
  3. FrankManic

Why would you boycott? What's happening on the 4th?
  4. Whiteagle

We're not, this is just some self-important whiner who thinks our slightly declining Factional Player Numbers are an excuse to whine.
  5. DjUnicorn

This is a massive multi player fps game lacking what it promotes, lattice is the best option and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Ghost capping/easy xp days are over, want to earn xp? fight for it.
    • Up x 1
  6. Tycoh

You must be a premium. Grinding is irritating when your commanders don't even know the best way to get your faction members more certs

*OP* I propose that all Eastern US server be united! But that'll mean SOE will have to invest in a better server....
  7. Whiteagle

Repair things...

Seriously, Repair is one of the easiest Ribbons to get.

That said, you are on the same Server as a certain Short-shaven Psychotic?
    ...Yeah, it's pretty easy to see why you Matterson TR have such a hard time...
  8. DjUnicorn

An ignorant observation and an ignorant suggestion. These anti-lattice threads are the worst.
    • Up x 1
  9. Tycoh

Ohoh, you're not a nice person at all.
  10. DjUnicorn

Of course not, I'm a Unicorn!
    • Up x 1
  11. OldMaster80

That's exactly the point why a change is needed. ;) The game must be fun for organized outfits playing on Matherson during prime time, but also for small casual squads playing on Ceres during the morning. At the moment that's not always the case as hex map is very dispersive and battle flow goes out of control without any logic.
    I'm not saying current form of the lattice system is good, but devs must keep improving until they get a decent system.
  12. WaRadius

We definitely need lattice on Miller with that much NC ghostcapping during alerts. Last 30 minutes of alert time is always a whack-a-mole redeployment game for my squad.
    • Up x 3
  13. FrankManic

Unicorn - I'm BR 60. I don't give a rat's *** about XP. Been there, done that, got the Lancer. I really believe your experience is twisted by participation in the Enclave - The Enclave has trouble finding a stand up battle because you insist on cramming 150 people into one hex, because you can't seem to do two things at once, and because no one likes you - You're the only outfit in the game where people will leave the hex because they don't want to play the game with people who would follow that Outfit's leader.
    Honestly - You've got exactly what you wanted - The biggest zergfit in the game that no one will stand against; Because no one can be ***** to try to push 150 mercy maxes out of a tech plant. Because getting farmed until Ops end and the Mother Brain logs out isn't fun, no matter how restrictive the game gets.

Again, let me be clear on this - Fighting Enclave is boring. Congratulations - You've slammed 10:1 odds into the Hex. You win. And now, because you can't operate on a by squads or by platoons basis, you're stuck sitting clustered around Dear Leader like ducklings around their mother, totally lost and incapable without her.

Do you know what's going to happen when Lattice comes out, Unicorn?

People are still going to leave the Hex. The only way you could force anyone to fight Enclaves lolshotguns maxfit is if they literally had no where else to go. You're the steamroller zerg that makes Lattice a failure. Enclave is the best possible example of why this won't work. As it stands your outfit just can't figure out why no one wants to play with them and thinks that if you could only force the enemy to fight you'd finally, somehow, get an opposing force that would have to put up with your **** and try to charge a room defended by 150 OHK pump guns.

You won't. They'll just go to another lane. And you'll still be too big, too slow, and too dependent on your Cerebrate to adapt or have a chance in hell of catching anyone. Hell, you won't even be able to do your sledgehammer thing anymore - You can only lock down one lane at a time and if you leave it'll get flipped instantly because you're 90% of the forces present. You'll spend even more time trying to put out brush fires with a nuke than you do now. You'll get exactly what you asked for and then complain that it wasn't what you wanted.

Like many of these complaints - It's not the mechanics, it's the players. You've succeeded in getting yourself into a situation where there is no reward for fighting you - It isn't fun, it isn't productive, it doesn't net XP or territory. There is no metric by which it is worth-while for anyone to bother dealing with you. Oh, sure, sometimes you have a crap turn-out, or we happen to have equal numbers and feel like a little mindless grinding. But for the most part you're just something distasteful to be avoided in favor of more interesting, rewarding fights with AoD or BWC.

I mean honestly - Read your damn Sun Tzu

http://suntzusaid.com/book/6

It's not a one size fit's any problem. They're completely different games. Attempting to apply a single solution to wildly different problems just isn't going to work out.
    • Up x 2
  14. DjUnicorn

And yet again, the same old story all over again. The numbers go both ways, the outfits go both ways, one goes after the fights while the others run away because it's easier to cap bases with smaller forces. You complain about the numbers in one exe but the truth is that any outfit will always be happy when doing it, when the fight gets tough that's when we see who stays and who goes.

All of this has already been said in all the other anti-lattice threads so this is starting to feel like the game, repetitive, boring and pointless.

Blaming the problem on the players and not on the mechanic of the game is just wrong, by now we all know better that players will always make use of what is more of an advantage to them, want an example? Look at the PAs epidemic.

It really makes me happy that the people creating these threads always end up revealing the true reasons for their lattice hate: Enclave and less easy xp.

We are just too damn good and when lattice comes it will be way more fun steamrolling everybody as much as we can.

Maybe it would be better if you just start actually fighting more and QQ less.
    • Up x 1
  15. Whiteagle

Wait... why are you against the Rush Lane system again?
    If the Enclave are as bad a Zergfit as you claim, then their rigidity and lack of individual Tactical Ability will just make their HUGE force a minor Nuisance that can only hold one Base at a time with overwhelming manpower...

...Unless they are actually competent in organizing a multi-front force, which means that the whole reason you are against a Lattice is because you acknowledge on some level that Buzzcut's cronies are actually better then you?
    • Up x 3
  16. Ronin Oni

If they're competent in a multi-front force they sure have been spending a long time trying to convince everyone on Matherson otherwise :p

And nobody knows how good any Enclave players are... because when it's stacked 10 to 1... there is no possible way to determine if anyone is good.... except maybe the few guys being over ran who go on 20+ killstreaks
  17. Whiteagle

But that would take some sort of Tactical Gen....

...BUZZCREEEEEEED!!!
  18. Galaxias

It does not matter. Planet Side 2 Started out epic and will continue to be epic as long as there is a ps2 server up. With that said, Take it from a real gamer. The lattice system Is just a tissue for the nose of the un-enlighted. Pls do not ruin my favorite game. And get this right. Its not just the VS that want the lattice. So pull that bugger out of your eye. I'm Mattherson VS through and through. Galaxias BR 45
    • Up x 1
  19. FrankManic

True. No other outfit in Planetside does less with more than the Enclave. The way only one hundred Enclave troops can achieve things that other outfits would waste two whole squads on is breathtaking. Watching fifty people fall like an iron hammer on a nearly undefended hex while platoon vs. platoon battles rage in the three hexes on either side is awe inspiring. Watching sixty mercy maxes rush a Tech-Plant no one cares about and stand around looking confused at what no one is rushing the two available choke points brings me to tears.

Truly - The Enclave is a triumph of top heavy, ineffective, 16th century battle tactics.
    That's going to happen regardless. But as much as I love trading insults with Mr. Unicorn my distaste for the Enclave has nothing to do with my distaste for Lattice. While Enclave is trying desperately to figure out why no one wants to play with them the rest of us are going to be stuck smashing into some zerg or another. Bringing up Enclave is part of a bit of a feud Unicorn and I have going across this and reddit. He plays the most boring, meaningless, empty version of Planetside I know of - Endlessly loading into galaxies to drop on a base no one cares about defending then slogging to the next base only to sit, staring, with 150 other people at an empty spawn room until the cap goes through. Meanwhile the battlefield swirls around them, ignoring them as completely as army ants ignore a man with a sledgehammer.

The problem with Lattice is that it won't do what folks think it will - Somehow magically solve the problems with population, poor leadership, skewed priorities, and weird incentives that leads small population servers and archaic, tactically irrelevant zergfits to be unable to enjoy Planetside. Lattice isn't going to make Waterson get it's **** together. Instead of zergs wandering around Hex it will be zergs chasing each other's tails on Lattice. Lattice won't make the Enclave and gigantic zergfits like it matter - They can only be in one place at a time and outfits that use things like flexibility, independent tactical units, and basic faction cooperate will still render them irrelevant. At best they might run into another zergfit from time to time before one or both of them get frustrated and move to an empty rush lane.

Christ, you want big battles on small servers? Is that all? Great - ALERT: Whoever captures Zurvan and it's surrounding territories at the end of 1 hour will get a bunch of XP. ALERT: One player on each faction is IT. If It goes to the Ascent they score a point. Whoever has the most points at the end of an hour wins ALERT: There is a flag in The Crown. Bring it to your warpgate for points. Whoever has the most points at the end of an hour gets XP. ALERT: Auraxium nodes are spawning around Amerish. They will appear on your map. Capture them to score a point. Whoever has the most points at the end of the Alert gets XP, a cookie, and they can all go to the enemy warp gates and say mean things.

Just throwing in some simple bombing run, capture the flag, king of the hill, steal the flag, or kill the man with the ball objectives would get that job done. No need to disembowel the game. Alerts have already shown that even a simple system can change the game in dramatic ways for the better.
    • Up x 1
  20. TriumphOfMan

Frank, your opinions on strategy are very hard to take seriously. You play with TEST, one of the most useless and inept outfits in the entire game.

To quote one of your own members: "The problem is that as an outfit we have nothing to offer players. TEST is basicaly a "learn to play the game outfit". Then after that most players move on to more competitive outfits"

You spend your time doing fun but useless things like Harasser jousting, flash racing. When you try to play seriously you spend it getting destroyed and farmed.

Seriously. Your idea of breaking an infantry Striker position is to charge past it with a ******** of Sunderers. That works, right?

Oh wait no it doesn't.

I appreciate you have your fun with TEST there's no harm in that. But trying to take you guys seriously is very difficult. It's like trying to take Azure Twilight seriously as a "tactical outfit."

We know everything they're going to do before they do it, and we counter it. They never change, they never improvise. Every freaking time AT does that stupid drop ArcFault, Naterian, and the rest of Talon LOLpod them into oblivion as they drop onto that balcony. But AT doesn't learn! They keep doing it. Every. Freaking. Time. It's like they enjoy dieing.

People used to try and adapt against us, they don't anymore and it's extremely disappointing. It's coming down to us literally trying to handicap ourselves taking a base to make things more interesting.

To quote ArcFault when I showed him this thread: "I can't even read what Frank's posted, it's so stupid."

Overall I'm sorry if you think Planetside being played the way Planetside is meant to be played is boring. I'm sorry that you hate big battles so much and would rather spend your time flash jousting instead of participating in coordinated combined arms assaults.

Apparently we should find that boring? Whatever you say, man, what you say.
    • Up x 1