The Vehicle Proving Grounds

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BengalTiger, Jan 24, 2014.

1. BengalTiger

The acceleration of tanks and other heavy vehicles is off the hizzle in this game.

A stock Vanguard reaches 50 km/h when an Abrams reaches 30 km/h, or after some 7 seconds.
    My car has a 0-50 time similar to the Racer 3 Sundy.
    The Magrider could probably drag race a Chevy Corvette over a really short distance as well.

This leaves very little room for variation between different vehicle classes, note how the Magrider, Harasser, Prowler, Lightning and Flash are all within a second of each other in the 0-50 time when upgraded with Racer 3.

Now if all MBT's got +2 seconds to their 0-50 times, while the Lightning got +1 second, suddenly the Flash and Harasser have the advantage of being fast.
  2. Zorro

I have no problem with vehicles having excellent acceleration; it is the future after all, and thinking it "too fast" compared to modern vehicles is backwards.

If anything, the top speed of vehicles is too slow, which kills immersion. Real life sports cars can speed at ninety miles per hour quite easily (this is a conservative estimate), but the Harasser is limited to a bit over eighty kilometers per hour. The Flash, supposed to be the fastest current ground vehicle in-game, should be able to move at least 120 kph without upgrades.

This would provide a true perception of speed and would differentiate cavalry from armor without reducing the latter to a snail's pace. The only argument I am willing to concede against it is map design, but that mainly stems from bases being too close together.
  3. Blarg20011

If my calculations are correct you get almost three gees of acceleration in a racer harasser, about the same as a Mustang GT500 or Panamera Turbo
  4. z1967

So, now i will be able to do barrel rolls at over 120 kph? Imagine all the flying flashes with the current gravity scheme. I can only lol
    • Up x 1
  5. lyravega

You should re-test the Magriders. But shouldn't compare it to the rest.

They can climb much steeper hills, with strafe. Anything that a Vanguard or a Prowler can climb, Magrider feels like going faster with strafe aswell. Also, put forward strafe speeds in the results aswell.

But as I've said, no one should try to "drive" a magrider like any other traditional tank.
  6. Lethal_Sting

Hopefully that will be fixed with the physics adjustment in March.
    • Up x 1
  7. BengalTiger

How fast to Galaxies go?

Isn't 3 G a Formula 1 level of acceleration?

http://www.accelerationtimes.com/models/ford_mustang_shelby_gt500

0-50 km/h in 2.4 seconds for the GT 500 according to these guys. Just like a Racer Flash in my tests, and the Racer Flash is relatively slow compared to the Magrider for instance...
  8. Nintyuk

This just In, Auraxis Gravity Limits Maximum speed of matter. Super fast future space vehicles maintain their super acceleration but can't reach their true top speeds.

Edit: maybe the air is so full of nanites that it provides greater levels of air resistance then regular air.