The Resource Revamp: Is it Pay2Win?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Cyridius, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Mekeji

As I said in my post it is on the line of what most people would call Pay2Win but it hasn't quite crossed that line and all it does is allow members to be more wild.

Where as non-members will just have to make sure they stay alive long enough to regain the resources which 5 minutes is acceptable for and is actually an improvement on the old timers.

Also just so you know it doesn't have to exist in a f2p game. If Planetside 2 was made by valve the only thing they would have to monetize is the hats. Valve made some kind of deal with satan to make everything they do into an amazing success.
    • Up x 1
  2. Goretzu

That is A defination that comes up time and time again in "P2W defination arguements" it has come up here probably half a dozen times this week. :D

As mentioned though it is a meaningless argument, because if 1 person believes it it only P2W if you pay more and cannot lose and and 1 person believes that P2W is paying to avoid a slight grind their reaction is down to that belief (as there is no right and wrong - both points of view are right AND wrong at the same time) and no amount of semanticing over what is or is not P2W is likely to change that belief or reaction.

Is being able to buy a reload in-game for $1 "P2W"? It depends on your point of view.
  3. Scr1nRusher

I KNEW forumside would make threads like this.
    • Up x 1
  4. Goden

Is that really what the Revamp is going to do? That sounds awful.
  5. Regpuppy

Honestly, I would prefer paying not have an effect on the resource game. Especially the potential for twice the gain.
  6. Chipay

We're discussing the definition of a certain word, a certain expression. I seem to be misinformed and would love to be corrected, but as long as there's no other substance of proof than "this is my opinion, this is how i experienced it" I can't simply take someone's word for it. And if neither of us can be corrected, then there's no point in the discussion.

I'm not asking you to link me to a trustworthy site every time you claim something, but what's the point of making a claim if you can't back it up when asked? If that's accepted then you might as well start lying to prove your point.
  7. Liquidrider

No its not pay to win. Its play to win.

At least based on my testing last night and this morning.

It also fixes the "being warpgated" issue when a faction has no territory to collect resources.
  8. JackD

Off topic question, what is the resource cap?
  9. Stormsinger

I shall begin by making an assumption, for use in a hypothetical scenario.
    All players, everywhere, will get a base resource gain of 60 Nanites per minutes, for a max of 600. It now takes 10 minutes to max out all possible resources - since gain is based on having a warpgate, if the continent is not locked, you are gaining resources, regardless of pop / base ownership.

Now, let us assume that full Auraxiam membership gives +50% resource gain. That 60 resources per minute has become 90 resources per minute. Instead of 10 minutes to max your resources, it now takes 6.66666(repeating) minutes to max our your resources.

Assuming that a MBT will still take 450 resources, a non member will require 7.5 minutes to gain enough resources to create a tank. For simplicity, 8 minutes.

At 90 resources a minute a member that has paid for 6+ months of membership will require 5 minutes.

Starting from 0 resources, that's a 3 minute, or 180 second tank pull for a non member, compared to a maxed-out member, or a 120 second difference if the non member started out with 30-60 resources.

120-180 seconds faster tank pulls for someone who is supporting the game? Can someone please explain to me why they think this is unreasonable? It's an advantage, sure - but worth going zonkers over? It takes me longer to figure out where the exit of an Esamir base is, and i know i've spent more time trying to find the freakin' path to vehicle terminals on new amerish / hossin. This is a 'slight convenience', in my book.
  10. FateJH

The only proper answer for that is that there is no established definition for Pay2Win.

The article I linked above exercises the most literal explanation of the definition, where every cent is a requirement to need to hit with a +<cent> weapon, or you don't even get to compete. Here's an article about Soul Caliber: Lost Souls wherein the producer outwardly claims the game is pay to win. The game is also only single-player, so make of his argment what you will. Here's a bunch of WoW players whose opinions of pay to win seem to reflect what some people suggest - being truly pay to win is being able to acquire something that is substantially better than anything that could ever be acquired with time and effort. There's recently been a significant stink in the Minecraft community regarding interpretation of the EULA and the management of game modes in the game's vast multiplayer arrangement. That's just looking up "pay to win" in google.

Here's an article about Fortnite, which touches on a lot of the distinctions between paying in a free to play environment that these forums generally discuss, as spoken by the words of Epic producer, Roger Collum.
    • Up x 2
  11. Zoner

All PC shooters are P2W in some form, why do you think people buy $3000+ workstation class machines with Geforce 780ti cards or better?
  12. GaBeRock

I have to agree. Isn't a player without medkits or grenades in objectively a worse position than one with them? With the current situation, anyone can stockpile during downtimes, or boost their income by playing in an area that provides that resource. With the revamp, members and people with boosts will always be getting more consumables than nonmembers. This is the truly pay to win issue here.
    • Up x 1
  13. shameful

78 resources vs 60 a minute, talking 12.5min vs 15 minutes to max out resource pool with premium
  14. LordMatt XLVIII

I think you misunderstand this update. It is a general nerf to using c4, tank mines, vehicles, maxes, ANYTHING that costs resources. Before you had seperate pools for each, allowing a total spending wallet of up to 2250 resources, 750 for each vehicle, air and infantry category.

Now, it is being made harder to do this by making your c4 use affect how often you can pull a tank, or aircraft or max and vice versa. Also, removing the acquisition timer actually brings newer players to a more even playing field with veterans, as older players have dumped certs into their acqui. timers and that gives them a significant advantage over new players who can't spam vehicles as often.

In general, things aren't going to change an awful lot. You will however be seeing more noobs pulling things than usual, as well as having to balance your resource spending along with a tighter emphasis on resource acquisition as a strategic and tactical factor.

TL;DR: This update will actually nerf resource boosts heavily and give newer players an edge because they don't have to waste certs on an acquisition timer. While it has the potential to give air, vehicle, OR infantry players slightly more tools, you can no longer do all three.
    • Up x 2
  15. Goretzu

I'm not sure we really know what it is going to do yet, just what it might (maybe) do.
  16. Sandpants

Next on Planetside 2 forums:
    "Is AllAccess Pay2Win? I always feel like the devs would consider the opinion of the paying masses more than those who play for free. That way they can [insert a form of favoritism]"

followed by

"Camo is too much P2W. All them pink zebras taunt me so much; why should only paying players have access to such psychological torture?"
    • Up x 1
  17. Govedo13

Really? Having 2x more vehicles and Maxes is just the same thing in other form.

Vehicles and maxes are force multipliers, the MAX have double health compared to infantry and have double damage. If one can chain-pull Maxes he has double hp and double damage all the time compared with one that can pull Max once per 10 min.

Having 2x resources to spawn vehicle and maxes but not be able to because you are restrained by the equal for all players acquisition timer is not pay to win- this is having a advantage.

I mean just use basic deductive logic the difference is obvious. Just get real and compare the facts.

For me with the last changes SOE is miking the cashcow before it is too late with the declining population and the game starts to be net loss for them that would lead to closing it down.
  18. Niller

I am not concerned about this phase at all, but when they finally get to power and ANTs, where resources hopefully become really important, something worth fighting, then I see a problem.

Though resources aren't that important right now.
  19. Niller

What about some slightly worse?
  20. Niller

Is it your first time to see threads like these?