The Reason Behind Low Pops

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Laraso, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Laraso

CATCH-22:
    Since there's hardly anyone on the test server, nobody goes to the test server.

I really think you need to hold some kind of event on the test server. Just once, only do it once. Offer rewards for the players on the live server to come to the test server. Make it generous, like perhaps 100 free certs for every hour spent on the test server until they earn 500 certs.

This would provide a large incentive for players on the live server to come to the test server. They would come for the certs, but they would be required to stay for a few hours to get the certs. Many people will be logging into the test server for this, and since they will all be staying for a few hours, the population will rise steadily. People will notice the increase in population and will stop thinking "gee, this place is a ghost town. I'm not going to bother testing anything here, it's so boring". That will let them leave with a good experience, and they will be more likely to return again at a later point, even if they've already earned all the bonus certs.

I believe something like this is necessary to kick-start the population on the test server. Does anyone else agree?
  2. Ash87

I would say that 100 certs for an hour is WAY too generous. Also doing cert events will bring people, but people aren't dumb, they will know that people are showing up for the certs. Log on for that payout, and then never show up again.

If you want to be devious about it, and draw the most people you make the cert gain pay out random amounts from 1-10 at random intervals (Multiples of hours).

So, at the top of each hour, you have a 50-50 chance of getting a cert payout. If you get the payout, you get 1-10 certs randomly assigned to each char on your account.

People respond more to this kind of thing, because they keep staying around on the off chance they will get their payout.

But there is something that your system and mine ignores, and I don't know how it would be overcome. A lot of people have created separate accounts to do the test server. Part of that was done for no reason, and part of it was done because they were Incapable of logging on with their main account they use on Live. I don't know how either system would work, unless you are able to link your test account to your main account.
  3. EvilNinjadude

As I said before, an MMOFPS based of course on PVP absolutely NEEDS a minimum number of people or it will all go downhill from there. Fix? Get people to play. How? Rewards for the live characters are always neat, just saying.
  4. LameFox

I still think this could help for when they need a large population to mass-test stuff. Server gets people, we get stuff to do when there's maintenance. Beyond that:

*Advertise the large tests in the live game's launcher, and make a quick announcement on live when it begins (as Higby did for one I was awake for a while ago).
    *Set some individual goals. Often I consider logging in when I'm around, but in these times it's off-peak for most people and very quiet, so I have little to do. Without more people showing up however, it will stay that way, so some things we can do in the mean time could increase traffic. Specific weapons, abilities, and other functions (capping bases, et cetera) they think need further testing would give me something to do in those times. For instance I know the lattice thing is being tested, but what will help? Should I go cap all three continents singlehandedly and set myself up as dictator of all Auraxis, or is the technical side barely different, and they need testing for balance and convenience reasons?
  5. Kroova

The patch size is also another likely cause.
  6. ironeddie

I have a job, a wife & many other commitments. My problem is that due to the limited time I have to play PC games I would prefer to be gaining certs and XP on my character on the live servers with lots of other players. If I was a teen again I'd probably put in a few hours on test server and live but I simply don't have time for both.

I do have some desire to use the test server, the pull being a chance to see new game items earlier than I could otherwise.
  7. Hosp

While I think incentives for people on Live to do Test a few hours a week is nice...It shouldn't have happened.

Lots of people were whining and crying and slamming SOE for not having a test server...and now that there's one hardly any of hose people are there. Granted, I'm not there YET (technical issues + slow net connection preventing patching), but I will get there and I will expect no reward for helping make a better game.

But I Digress...

If we have to go the route of incentives, it has to reward dedication and actual testing(gameplay). So for people to qualify for these incentives all the following must be met:
    - People must spend actual time in the field (outside of warpgates and spawnrooms).
    - People must be on at least 3 times a week for a min. of 1hour. (assuming the Test servers are up to allow for it).
    - Must accrue some # of Experience. Maybe 5000xp over the course of the week. (TBD)

Then, and only then, should they qualify for the rewards. As for what the reward should be? Perhaps give them that 5000 XP they acquired in Test as compensation for the time they weren't on Live. Perhaps even add a bonus of 20% XP.
    Or maybe they can throw around some 1-Day 50% XP Boosts.
    • Up x 2
  8. FlameGankin

Cert gain as a benefit of playing on the test server just doesn't seem that good an incentive.
    -If its instantaneous and you get the certs as you log in, then people will go on and back off to the real servers.
    -If its spread over a short time, and its the only thing keeping people on the test server, then they will leave if the cert gain is sub-par their standard gain. Same with spread over a longer period.
    -Randomly i guess would be a good way to do it but there should be coding so one person isn't the unluckiest bastard and keeps rolling no certs on 50-50 chances.
    -Also if a person with 6 characters is getting 10 certs an hour, do they go to all characters, or one, or are divided amongst the characters?

Personally cert gains just aren't interesting. They're ultimately a tally, a meaningless number that gets you small upgrades to your gear. Some kind of awesome testers only cosmetic skin however? That is interesting to me. A cool redesign of the knife or something.
    sure it be hard to avoid the stop in and take a reward problem, perhaps dedicate a number of hours of play on the test server or something.

Of course that's assuming people aren't playing because its unrewarding. Their are plenty of reasons, a large download and consistent patches would be one of them, time restraint another.
  9. Highway_Star

Reasons I don't take part in the test;

- Don't feel like downloading ~8GB all over again.
    - USA server = higher pings.
    - Official testing periods happen when I'm asleep.
    - I prefer to see updates once their finished and playable.
  10. Laraso

I don't get why people complain about the filesize. It's not like you actually have to exert yourself or do any work to download something. All you do is start the download and the computer does the rest for you. It's not hard or time consuming, so why do people not like downloading larger files?
    • Up x 1
  11. Highway_Star

Whenever my PC is turned on, it's already downloading other... things. :D
  12. madman278

Forget PvP add in aliens and be done with it. Aliens which drop loot when u kill them. Imagine PS2 with 4000+ player/NPC battles, it will be like the scene from the anim-matrix..