The power of Anti Tank Mines, and a video why YOU should cert into them and forget everything else!

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Dvine, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Aussie

I would tell you my mine tactics, but I don't want the enemy to figure out how easy it is to kill sundys.

Mines are way too hard to use, they don't work, don't use them.
  2. Vortok

Next time you're ingame look at how much damage reduction a sunderer can get against mines if the driver decides to defend against them. Now find out how much resistance it can get against C4. Vehicles are hard enough to deal with for infantry as is, which is fine.
  3. Bavieca

Placement is just as important in defense as turrets and tanks and all that. The person who put the sundy there made a calculated risk to position the sundy in an offensive position. He needs to take precautions such as protecting his vehicle from engineers that can drop mines from where ever. I would argue that the reason the mine is OP right now is because most drivers haven't realized that they can be used this way and are not protecting their vehicles from it. TBH, I would love to see more sunderers parked in terrible positions blown up by mines. I cannot tell you how often I have seen friendlies spawning at a sundy that puts them out of position for an effective attack (I am thinking tech labs and amp stations here). Those are the sundys I most desperately want to see blow up.
  4. SalsaDoom

Mines of any sort are not OP. Whoever is saying that is insane. Hot dropping AT mines is a desperate and lucky tactic at best. Yeah, when it works, it works. So does a couple of heavies with rockets and a Max to distract the infantry. So does a Liberator. Its really strange seeing someone say that C4 should be better at blowing up armored vehicles than ANTI TANK mines. Huh?? C4 is a handy tool, but yeah. Its really very general purpose, it works well on pretty much everything and that's reflected appropriately.

Also, I never knew the female sounds were so fake and annoying sounding.
    • Up x 1
  5. SixVoltSamurai

Suicide in the fact that if someone notices you and kills you, yes. Or if a friendly is shooting explosives of any kind within like 20m of your target, yes. Otherwise if you can get in and plant unnoticed, you can get back out quick too. :D
  6. SixVoltSamurai

Two words. Mine Guard. Nobody gets certable C4 guard. Balance achieved, no changes required.

Your ideas also suck, half the damage but deploy twice as many? So they go off before you get away, basically, sounds legit in Bizarro world.

Mine Guard at level 5, which isn't too expensive to cert btw, makes it require seven tank mines to explode. Let's go ahead and let them get anti C4 plating too then, so it takes 7 bricks to blow anything up and make explosives that aren't mounted on tanks worthless in every regard.

Sounds like an LA who spent 700 certs on C4 and is mad that the ***** engy that ran past him on the way down killed the Sunderer instead. Vehicles have defense against tank mines, pure and simple, there is no need for change. Right now they are the best choice, once smart people figure out that they can be mitigated or negated entirely, it won't be an issue.

Currently I always deploy mines awaiting armor crossing areas to where I'm actively attacking or defending, it's a nice early warning tactic. However, I always get a refill to blow up a surprise sundy/mbt that rolls in and tries to wreck havoc. They're versatile, but they can be defended against to the tune of 70% damage reduction which is no small mitigation matter.
  7. SixVoltSamurai

After watching this video and finding out that you do not have Giraffe camo, I have come to the conclusion that you are fighting against legally blind opponents. Though, the sweetest bombings are the ones that get you tons of kills too. A full sundy hitting a minefield is just pure profit, or a sundy with a ton of spawns on it defending is just BOOM cert city. So tasty, those ones get 3 mines just to get a bigger explosion.
  8. Blackmar

First off, great post. Presents the problem then offers a solution. Which by the way is bloody brilliant. From an engineer's previous AT load out of 3 highly explosive Frisbee discs to a true arsenal of 6 deployable mines, being so easily deployed and hence more feasible to implement, just simply have them use the same place and spawn animation sequence as the engineer's ammo pack.

This would finally validate the use setting up a proper minefield when defending specific facilities e.g. AMP Station courtyards right before your generators fail. And when I say proper I mean rallying up a couple other eggheads and dropping 60 or so of these little buggers hopefully in some kind of algorithmically calculated pattern to ensure max killage or maybe just a bunch of smiley faces.

The possibilities are endless...
  9. Xasapis

You realise that mines stick like a sore thump on the infrared scope right?

Dropping ammo packs is already an unnecessary huge pain in the ***, why would anyone want the same broken placement mechanism on mines is beyond me.

Don't want mines to be used like they are today? Remove the proximity aspect and have them detonate on movement only. This way you can still suicide move vs vehicles. vs sunderers, if you manage to kill the engineer before he shoots them or toss a grenade, give the ability to disarm them, so you can move the vehicle and not destroy it.
  10. Exmortius

damn i need to unlock these now good vid
  11. Azimaith

Honestly, I miss combat engineering. I'll admit, I've done the whole "drop in and mine bomb" vehicles before, its easy, ridiculously easy, to just obliterate sunderers. I'd rather lose the ability to blast sunderers to smithereens with a couple mines and much prefer the ability to drop mines like back in PS1 (and turrets.)

Without CE you can't stop single man caps without constantly playing catch up which seriously detracts from the fighting, especially since the lattice is gone and now all you need is one guy to go cut off entire areas. The best thing about PS1 is that the game was a shooter sandbox for engineers and you could change the way a battle occurred by being an engineer. Now it just reminds me of modern warfare with vehicles.

Combat Engineering was about making an impact by altering the layout of the battlefield, it shouldn't be about scoring cheap one hit kills with bouncing betties or mine bombing sunderers.
    • Up x 1
  12. XanderF

Quoted for really cutting to the point in a single line!

A combat engineer alters the battlefield. That's the entire POINT of the role. And SOE seemed to get that in PS1 (finally, near the end) - creating new physical barriers, creating 'denial of movement' zones (minefields), creating resupply points and fixed defensive installations, etc.

How it is currently implemented is all wrong! The PS2 CE role is just another front-line fighter who can insta-kill Sundys and occasionally remember to resupply his team. Heck, Team Fortress 2 does a better job with an engineer role having a better/sharper play style difference than regular soldiers.
  13. bigjuancrd

So, dumb question...can you see (and/or deal with) enemy mines and C4 without, say, driving over and/or stepping on? That is, can I shoot them from a distance and cause them to go kaboom?
  14. Compass