The new EM6 looks stupid

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BlackSteel97, May 12, 2016.

1. Iridar51

It's nice to have some variety.

EM6 is fine, even though it looks kinda boxy and out of place. It looks better in game, in 1st or 3rd person.

Pulsar LSW is very good, exactly what variety within faction's design should be. Though it does have some weird shaking bug currently.

TMG is meh. The model itself looks great, but stupid from 1st person and 3rd person. Mostly because of the oversized drum and weird drum placement, too far below the barrel line.
  2. HomicideJack

Those stocks are hilariously short.
  3. orangejedi829

I find it humorous that you think a muzzle break would work on a railgun or coilgun ("gauss cannon").
    The only instance of expanding gas between those two is the muzzle flash of a railgun, which is an explosion of ionized air caused by the sudden breaking of the circuit created by the rails and the projectile. This means that this explosion only occurs after the projectile has left the weapon. A muzzle brake requires that there is high-pressure gas expanding inside the weapon, and that this gas is blocked in by the projectile, thus allowing it to be forced out of the brakes in a desired direction. But since the explosion occurs outside of the railgun, and since the projectile has already vacated the premises, there is no containment, and there is thus no way to harness this expansion into any sort of directional force to apply to the weapon.
    Boom.
    Physics.
  4. gartho33

EM6 100 rounds, TMG 75 rounds... ya... sure... I buy that mag size...
  5. orangejedi829

I suppose that's a somewhat plausible explanation. Though if there are no casings, where exactly does the chemical propellant come from? Is it already stored in the gun?
  6. Iridar51

Caseless ammunition. It's basically like making the casing out of the chemical propellant.
  7. Gundem

Huh. I just assumed the NC arsenal was magnetically propelled only.

Never was a huge lore buff myself, though I tend to pick things up as I go. Guess it makes better sense for the attachment options then "Muh nanites"
  8. orangejedi829

Interesting, had no idea such an animal existed.
    Sounds dangerous! >=D
  9. HomicideJack

Well, not entirely. From what I understand, NC weapons are hybrid firearms that utilize wire lacing around the barrel to accelerate the projectile above conventional firearm velocities. I.E.: a two-stage weapon that uses a gunpowder cartridge that is placed into the chamber and cycled as a regular casing, but is then accelerated by the magnetic coils around the barrel to superior velocities. Which is why we see casings eject from NC guns. Although they still have crummy velocities for balance purposes. Muzzle brakes would be effective for the most part.

Of course this doesn't affect the railgun itself since it actually is a railgun and not a coilgun, as they are two different but similar concepts. The reason the railgun has recoil in the first place is because for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, hence the tremendous recoil felt when that nifty little cannon lets a round off.
  10. Zlidden

the EM6 looks disregarded... the front and back looks like two different weapons smashed together.
    the "muzzle pipe" is too long for NC imo and would be cool to be replaced with a shorter and bulkier one.
    the magazine looks tiny, the TMG 50 got a new looking one so why not give the EM6 some love?
  11. Taemien

New looks look fine in shape. Detailing needs a bit of polish. If it got that they'd look great.
  12. Lemposs

Was killed by someone using the EM6, looked pretty good (granted it had some camo on it) :D
  13. Skooma Lord

IMO the guns in this game are way too oversized and toy-like. I like how they are changing things up a bit, but I would rather see real effort into creating good looking and unique weapons from scratch or almost from scratch. Right now its just pieces from other weapons mixed up to create another one. An obvious example is to look at the NC guns - 90% of them have the same grip as the pistol. The NS-7 "Archer" was a good example of gun done quite right in my opinion. It has that singularity and flow to it, unlike most other guns in the game.
  14. orangejedi829

Yes, you're right, but I was just talking about normal railguns.

If NC weaponry uses magnetic coils, it would not be a railgun anyway. Also, if the gun used magnets to propel the projectile faster than the chemical explosive was carrying it, logically the pressure behind the bullet would drop, which makes me wonder if, by the time the round exits the barrel, would there even be enough pressure remaining to make a brake effective?

Finally, just to be really nit-picky, I notice a problem with the chemical-coil design: For a chemically-propelled round to be fired effectively, there needs to be a tight seal between the bullet and the barrel. Now, once the magnets take over, they must very rapidly accelerate the bullet to speeds faster than the gas is expanding. This would create negative pressure and actually hold the bullet back (since energy must be put into the gas to make it expand further than the chemical reaction is expanding it), making for a very inefficient design over a coilgun of the same power without the chemical propellant. The only way to rectify this would be to have a tight barrel that ends right before the coilgun section. But having this would severely affect the accuracy of the bullet due to the ability of the magnets to fire the bullet in a random direction if not confined within a barrel.
    But then again, maybe this explains why you can point the Gauss SAW at someone's chest and then make 20 holes in the wall around him without moving your crosshair.
    • Up x 1
  15. CNR4806

Pre-Cold War rifles look more ergonomically sound than these. A stock this short may as well not exist, who are they supposed to be used by? Dwarfs?
  16. HomicideJack

I entirely agree. Well, the one thing I could think of is that maybe the barrels are ported in a way to keep pressure relative to what's needed, but that just seems overcomplicated and a bad excuse to make the muzzle flash blue.
  17. Liewec123

it does look really odd, like they were designing a new look but only finished half of it but cut the old gun in half to stick it on anyway XD
  18. TheMightyGomora

Is it just me, Or does the EM6's new model looks like it would have been more fitting for the EM1 instead?
  19. SixNineFour

Not quite.
    The energies involved are enough to melt metal. How do you figure there would be no expanding gases inside the weapon when the armature, rails and the projectile are eroded due to thermal expansion when the weapon is fired?
    Whether a muzzle break would have much use does depend somewhat on the design of the railgun. There are railgun designs with armatures and rails which melt or disintegrate. Which basically means the materials expand. For example: the plasma armature which uses an aluminium film which transitions into plasma (expanded gas) and pushes the projectile forward like propellant gas in a typical firearm.
    Admitted: a solid (probably tungsten) armature is preferred option in real life and real railguns, but thermal expansion is unavoidable and any excess energy directed sideways helps backwards recoil. In case of railguns, a muzzle break could also help redirect molten metal and metal fragments that are created.
  20. Pikachu

The stocks aren't new. Plenty of guns have them.