The New base shield system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Diilicious, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Takoita

I am not sure what was the purpose of this change, to be honest. Supposedly, I can't be shot through the SCU shield (maybe?), but as for everything else the current arrangements seems to have lots of downsides with no benefits, IMHO.
    • Up x 1
  2. ElTovar

Worse
  3. Xasapis

I also feel that the intention was good, but the implementation is lacking. Bio labs are not that bad, but Amp stations are horrible now.
    • Up x 1
  4. Leftconsin

Rooms with large shield doors like the interior of Amp Stations are now very claustrophobic feeling.
    Taking down an SCU produces white opaque walls you can walk through and shoot through. I find this pretty unacceptable. Was the old method of just removing the old shields confusing? What new player saw no shields and thought "Well, there used to be a shield, but now there isn't. So I guess I can't go in there still." This is opposed to now where they see faction colored opaque shield transform into white opaque shield and hey they just need to know they can go through a shield they still see, but used to cause them pain.
  5. Jac70

I think having them totally opaque is a bad move. At least with the spawn room shields you can see out but the visualy clarity is reduced making it harder for defenders to farm attackers. Defenders need to know what is going on outside the shield.
    • Up x 5
  6. ElTovar

Happened last night. Burning tank drove in for repairs and ran over 9 players.
    • Up x 5
  7. Xasapis

It also made the Bio Lab teleporter rooms a lot easier to farm for the defenders.

And of course downstairs, there is no way of telling what to expect once you pull a vehicle.
    • Up x 1
  8. Leftconsin

OH! And another thing!
    Playing peek-a-boo with people on the other side of a shield that neither of you can shoot through but only one can walk through (like the amp station ones) WAS FUN! It was a seriously fun diversion away from 'guy walks around corner and both shoot'. It was a game where both players know the other is positioned, and the base owner gets to set things in motion and controls the pace of that fire fight. It was fun having a face to face shoot off slow down like that.

I've done it with tanks vs heavys as both sides, inf vs inf, tank vs tank and so on. IT WAS FUN.

But that is all gone now.
    • Up x 6
  9. t31os

I want to play it out a bit more, but i'm starting to feel this is one change that might need rolling back.

Just had an idea whilst typing the above sentence though, how about a trade off and have both. Instead of having shields you can see through or not see through, why not add little switches inside areas with shields that the friendly force can toggle on and off(ya know, like a light switch). To prevent people just messing with it constantly, make the switch have a cooldown and give it a BR cap, say players above BR 40 or something only can flip the switch(so people can't faction jump to mess with the other side). It would probably still be open to abuse(to some degree), but it would be the best of the both and a little more interesting.
    • Up x 2
  10. Diilicious

After playing it a bit more I can confirm that i really do not like these new shields.

I also cant honestly believe that the shields were changed to "make it easier for new players to understand" that seems like such a bogus reason tbh.

Now the new guys will understand that once inside most of the shields you are pretty screwed really as you dont have a clue whats going on just a few meters away.

There wasnt anything wrong with the way it was, people learn how stuff works, if the game is really new to them then it wont take them long to understand it.
    • Up x 2
  11. DFDelta

I don't exactly understand what was wrong with the old ones. There were only 4 types, and explaining them to friends who just started took something like 10 seconds (plus maybe 2 or 3 death of them to "experience" them for themselves).
    While not exactly 2013 worthy graphics they still looked fine enough to not warrant complaining.

Now we have something that looks like textures from the quake 3 era, the generator symbols are missing on them (granted, might be a bug) so you have no fapping idea how to deactivate them and the total blindness is actually negatively affecting gameplay for both attacker and defender.

Except for that short rant I am actually kinda at loss for words here...
    For me that change is about as silly as the thankfully shelved changes to tank reverse speeds. Problably even worse.

[joke]I blame playstation 4[/joke]
    • Up x 6
  12. maxkeiser

New shields are just terrible. A massive graphical downgrade. I'm suspicious that it has something to do with the PS4 not being able to handle the transparent and much nicer, more sophisticated looking old-style shields.

As they are on live, they look worse than things from games 5 years ago. Not sure why the gfx change needed to make it look so terrible.
    • Up x 3
  13. Calisai

Yup... I'm not even going to apologize either. If I'm going full bore trying to save my resources and repair up... I'm not going to even think twice about it.... If you get run over, blame the shields... cause how the hell do you know there are people in the way?
    Hell... even at a quiet base with no fight... There are going to be TKs... an infantry running next to those shields will be toast...

I imagine that is going to be frustrating to new players as well... since you know... its probably mostly new players that don't realize that its a heavy vehicle zone.
    • Up x 4
  14. z1967

Shhh, quiet you imbecile. When they figure out our tricks we'll have to find a new way to get free certs!
  15. Ronin Oni

Rule #1: Don't pull armor from front line base under contention unless you want to risk instant death.

That's the only rule you ever need.

Then there's

Rule #2: If you see someone pull a vehicle, you know it's safe to pull one after them.
  16. Diilicious

Cant travel or shoot through this shield, still transparent., a single bio lab probably has more shield than over half of the bases on the continent it inhabits, so texture or server load is balls, this shield is also high quality and looks beautiful.

KK.

[IMG]

there is simply no reason at all for the rest of the shields to be the way they are now, and saying "its to help new players guys!" is just quite frankly garbage...

If im a new player and i see light assaults droping down onto the shield and running around on it, by the new logic of "see through it shoot through it" I should be able to kill that guy. sorry no.

because this shield is different... REALLY? wheres your logic now.
    • Up x 4
  17. rhan101277

Who care is PS4 can handle or not, we won't be playing together. Bring back the old shields, the game is supposed to be about strategy if it is a little complex then that is the way it should be.
  18. FBVanu

Bump...

now shields are OP.. who'd have thunk that will ever happen?

Bring back the old shields.. there was nothing wrong with them. All this time and effort spent from the developers, .. for what?
  19. Degenatron

I completely agree. They should make Biolab dome shields opaque and empire colored.

That's highly restrictive and favors The Zerg. Having one-way shields would favor the defenders. It seems that so many complain about the indefensibility of bases, most people would be on board with tipping this balance towards the defenders, not the attackers.
    • Up x 1
  20. Diilicious

A one way shield pointing in either direction would be horrible in any base, only spawn rooms should have that.

the shield system where nobody could shoot through and enemies couldnt enter was FINE.

however by changing this they made claymore mines invisible, destroyed part of the allatum base network, messed up player models, players sometimes now die but are still stood up as if they are alive. and didnt fix all the other things that were wrong with the game, and now cant fix them because they have to fix all the new ****.