The Most OP Thing in the Game is the Ammo Pack

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WyrdHarper, Dec 17, 2013.

1. WyrdHarper

And this is as someone who probably has earned half their experience through the darn things. Think about it, a single engineer can throw down an infinite supply of ammo, allowing all sorts of things that are balanced around low ammo (Rockets, UBGL, etc.) to have all the ammo they need. An engineer has no reason to pull an ammo pack because of the ACE tool feature, and it means you don't need supply lines for infantry zerg.

Solution:
    Make the ammo pack a limited number utility like everything else, same with the ACE tool (turret). Add a cert line like mines which allows you to carry more. This also means you limit the number of times certain powerful weapons like the AV turret can be used, reducing their spammability and fixing one of their primary issues . It also gives engineers a reason to use the ammo pack over other choices. It honestly surprised me when I started playing that this was not already the case.

This also puts a hard limit a footzerg can extend without vehicle support; eventually you will run out of ammo packs and have to return the nearest sunderer. This also promotes more interbase fighting, as losing a sunderer is much more risky and vehicles would be more difficult to remove quickly (a concerted mix of flanking, drops, and one's own armor could still work wonders as well).

Organized groups would benefit, as the new metagame would require more tactical play, vehicle use, positioning, sunderer placement--all the fun stuff.

Discuss.
    • Up x 1
  2. RHINO_Mk.II

I'd rather not walk up to an oblivious engineer and scream "I need ammo" fifteen times only for him to finally realize that I mean him and then decide that he doesn't have enough "spare" ammo packs to give me ammo right now.
    • Up x 2
  3. grazr

Did you overlook the unlimited revives and no cooldown on the medi-gun?
    • Up x 2
  4. Hatesphere

sounds like a good idea, a few things to think about though

1: how many ammo packs would one be able to carry?
    2: would they still have the same timer effect, or be more of an ammo "pool" not going away until another is placed or the charge in the pack is used up? This would be to help balance the fact that you only have a few and you might need them for longer then a few minutes in a big fight.
    2b: if they where an ammo pool would the player be able to move a partially emptied pack, or would the be placed for good?
  5. AzureKnight

I was thinking a C4-ing medic is the most OP'ed thing in game. not only can they take out MAXes and tanks, they can revive unlimited numbers of times and quickly. You could take out 20 people in 10 seconds, but that medic can bring most to all of the back in the same time...
  6. Sen7rygun

Keep your filthy paws off my war profiteering racket. There are very few things I can trust random pubs with in this game. I can't rely on them to fight, flank, cap or defend objectives, provide covering fire or make use of covering fire I provide. What I CAN trust pubs with is spewing badly aimed bullets all over the place and screaming at me to give them more.
    • Up x 1
  7. Morro

Can always go the TF2 route and make it a constructable ammo dump of sorts. Makes it so it's obvious to players where ammo is and can be collected. Can't be tossed down instantly to prevent the endless barrage of rocket spam. Destructible and much more visible to enemies. blah blah blah, this won't ever happen.
  8. Hatesphere

sounds like when I take my friends paint balling hah.
    • Up x 1
  9. ABATTLEDONKEY

IMO the repair gun is easily the most OP thing in the game. The ease at which vehicles are repairs DEMANDS that balance be predicated on a players ability to destroy a vehicle, and NOT based on damage output. in field, unlimited repairs, is really the core of all inf vs armor imbalances.
  10. MajiinBuu

I'd say the Flare gun.
    It's a pistol, but does over 300 damage per shot! AND IT SHOOTS FIREWORKS!

Also the Walker, it can have an ammo pool of OVER 3000!!!
  11. Axehilt

Is this thread for real?

Nothing good would come from limiting ammo packs. The reason infantry footzergs can feel too durable is because medic revive doesn't have a proper limit on it. A proper limit would be something like this:
    • Medics spawn with 4 revive charges.
    • 1 charge regenerates every 10 seconds (up to the max of 5.)
    • Revives are instant with charges.
    • Revives are 7 seconds without charges.
    Apart from that, once Engineer AV Turrets are nerfed infantry footzergs will have about the right power outdoors.
    Honestly I already feel infantry footzergs are just a big glob of XP for a vehicle zerg to eat up.
  12. Aegie

I am on board for anything that cuts down on spam and Engineers are certainly a leading contributor.
    • Up x 1
  13. Elrobochanco

This is one of the worst ideas on these forums. You should be proud.

Ammo packs are range and rate limited, and everything that is fed from them is reload/magazine limited. If you are finding enemies with unlimited ammo reserves to be problematic, you need to be more pro-active at actually killing them since their actual dps is the same whether they have a pack beside them or not.

You should have suggested that medics choose between healing and ressing tools. (also a stupid idea, but the kind someone with very limited forward thinking would imagine to be a great fix rather than similarly making the game less fun for everyone)