The lancer in comparison with other launchers.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nomad1, Mar 29, 2013.

1. axiom537

Nice Post BTW, cant wait to see your video. IMO the Lancer has such great potential but the VS just don't seem to want to give it a try or even get creative with it, i'm glad to see it looks like you and a few others are trying. Granted I only play VS a little bit, but I am going to be buying the lancer this evening when I get home from work, just so I have it in my arsenal when I play VS.

However, I am not buying what your selling about the Phoenix and its AA Abilities...Guiding the rocket to the target at 60m/s when the target can move upwards of 300m/s and having a range limit of 295m vs Air craft is PATHETIC and in NO WAY can the guidence aspect of the weapon compensate for those tremendous drawl backs.

I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here, but the Phoenix is absolutely horrible against Air and no amount of sugar coating it is going to make it better. I am not trying to take anything away from the lancer, I absolutely love the weapon, but the guy earlier that tried to say the Lancer is just as hard as the Lancer to hit aircraft has been smoking way too much of the funny stuff.
  2. axiom537

Awesome for you I'd love to see your stats...
  3. HyperMatrix

Feel free to look up any of my characters:

HyperMatrix
    HyperMatrixNC
    Giorin

I play infantry only. Less than 1% of my kills are from vehicles/aircraft.
  4. Zaik

The decimator moves at 50 m/s, not 800 m/s. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to bring it up when talking about the Lancer.

I assume you're using https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&f=true&noheader=true&gid=75 for the numbers, the 750 is the infantry damage, not the armor damage, because it has different values for air and ground vehicles. Dunno what the air one is, but ground vehicles it should be doing 1500 damage/shot when charged.
    • Up x 1
  5. Nogrim313

ours is so bad it doesnt need a counter, ours is built right in just shoot where the giant blue pointer tells you to
  6. Nogrim313

as opposed to what? massed Strikers? massed pheonix? the group difference is meaningless they are all powerful in groups (everything is) the problem is solo our is garbage while NC shoot from behind complete cover and the TR get a lock on that they can wait out the flares/smoke and only wast 1 shot

to kill a sundy i have to empty my entire ammo pool to get it in to red (thats without blockade or movement or missing a single shot

as it is its utter garbage solo

in groups its not much better sure you can burst down one maybe two vehicles but that stupid ******* trail means that group is getting bombarded 3 seconds after they kill that one target, meanwhile everyone is still searching for the ******* NC hidden behind some sand dune, or unable to see hit indicators due to the continuous explosions from strikers.

frankly im pretty fed up of this **** now that we have access to VR we all know how well piss poor our future high tech stuff is by comparison to the other factions, we may wear purple spandex but few of us enjoy taking the shaft like this
  7. Nogrim313

it need to have no charge up time the mechanic is stupid, our launcher is the only one with a negative or penalty
  8. Dcrd

Glancer, the dump fire launcher?
  9. Nomad1

lol, both are dumpfire. Plus why would I need that 800m/s what is the point of it anyways, I would rather have better damage and less velocity.
    With regards to the spreadsheet, I already know that, the proof is in the first post when I said it deals more damage than the annilator. I said that because I tried it in the VR room and compared the damage to the annilator and the nemesis. This proves that you didn't read my post and the only reason you are here is to say lancer is good, which you have no proof of. A cheetah is faster than the lion but can never beat it. Speed isn't the only thing here, in fact, it is less important than the damage or ROF.
    • Up x 1
  10. TacCom98

Then try hitting a moving ground target 500m out with the decimator, especially as it changes direction. I know for a fact you'll miss most of your decimator rounds (get a few hits here and there), but I can land Lancer rounds on target 95% of the time. The amount of lead and movement prediction goes down when using a high-speed projectile, and gives it an edge when fighting at a distance.

You are confusing the Lancer with a launcher that does well up close. There is a reason there is a sniper rifle AND shotguns in the game. While the shotgun does more damage and will rend faces, a precision long range weapon is good for removing targets before they even become a threat or to attack them from angles they do not expect. We don't need a launcher that does well up close because we already have some, like the decimator and nemesis. What we don't have is a long range solution and with the Lancer you can pick off tanks before they can even properly fight back. And the fact you can start putting damage down from such a great distance often slows thier advance as they don't want to roll into needless fire so they end up fighting as a distance in which it's difficult to aim at.

And a better analogy which is more accurate to how these weapons work is the bow and the sword. The sword is much more capable of doing damage and is much easier to do a very large amount of damage to the human body. But outside of melee range the bow, while not able to do nearly as much damage as the sword, is able to apply it's damage over a much greater distance, long before the sword-wielder can even get close enough to hurt you.
  11. TacCom98

Thank you, I've begun editing work today but had an Easter dinner to go to. I'll do some more tomorrow and hopefully have it ready for posting by then. We'll see.

I think the Phoenix does better against air targets that like to hover such as the Lib or rocket ESF in some cases. I did say the Phoenix is harder to hit aircraft but since it can compensate for course corrections, as long as the aircraft isn't moving at a high rate of speed (IE hovering) then the small movements to keep it stable for gunning can make it hard to know where to put your Lancer rounds but a Phoenix can compensate mid flight. What a Phoenix really can't do without basically geussing a few seconds in advance of where the aircraft is going, is hitting one moving full speed in combat manuvers. The Lancer still struggles with this but it's not nearly as bad because you have a much shorter lead time and the much greater range allows you to hit targets as they are heading away after thier strafing run too. Usually where I land most of my Lancer rounds in AA is on Libs as they move often in very predicable patterns because they need to keep thier belly gun on target, and ESFs on approach for a strafing run. I've stoped a good many strafes on friendly vehicles and infantry this way, and while I didn't kill the ESF, I still did my team a service. I have sniped a couple ESFs out of the sky though, got footage of one. Lvl 3 charge shot on an ESF with about 40% health. That will be in the video.

Also I'm assuming you meant to say "...the Lancer is as hard as the Phoenix to hit aircraft has been...." correct?
  12. Nomad1

I have killed non stationary esfs withe the deci. If it is intended for long range then why the long charge time and no zoom. Stupid design is stupid.
  13. TacCom98

Got nothing to say so all you got is "stupid design is stupid?" XD

There is a great video in the Lancer feedback thread on how to properly use the weapon. As soon as I'm done editing I'll post mine aswell, I have a really sweet Reaver kill that's twisting and turning from a great distance away. I know you would not beable to replicate the kind of shot I pulled off with a Deci. I'll post it in Feedback once it's done.

Here is the link to the other video in Feedback.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...r-feedback-thread.107649/page-52#post-1494436
  14. DerrocK

please how can a lock on weapon be fun to use...
  15. Shockwave44

It worked fine for 10 years in PS1 but now, for some reason, it doesn't...
  16. Nomad1

lol you think you are so special and no one can pull stuff you do. Yeah you are "special"
    Plus I saw the video you linked already and it just proves my point in all of the situations he was either kill stealing or being helped. The video doesn't show how many times he couldn't make use of the lancer because it is heavily edited. If I captured all my esf kills with the deci, and then edited it, then you would think the deci is viable vs air. Videos like this prove nothing because they are edited.
  17. SgtBreastroker

I find it funny when I run into a VS with the lancer and he starts lancer spamming me.
  18. Nogrim313

after forcing myself to use it some more in the ways people have suggested it feels a bit better (its still not nearly as useful as either of the other ESRL) what its really missing right now is a scope.

the major problem im having is the range at which it is useful at the zoom is like trying to aim a sniper rifle with iron sights, this is made even worse by the fact in a large battle things at that range rarely render consistently

as for the stupid fog trail at least 1/2 the time it hangs in the air, how in the hell does a laser leave a better trail than a TV guided rocket that can be fired from behind cover? and this certainly would go along way towards survivability using the quick fire, hell even reducing it for just the single charge shots would be a vast improvement, make the long trail a consequence and give the third charge a little bit of a damage buff

so less visible trail on single shot (1/3 as bright as current and 1/3 duration)
    and the 2nd charge 2x single beam damage (2/3 as bright and 2/3 duration)
    and third charges 3.5x base damage (3 charge would be as visible as current) adds 1/2 damage of a single beam on top of the third charge giving you a reason to use the charge up

and give us at least a 3-3.4x scope certable or stock i dont care it needs it badly any more would lead to infantry sniping (which is a total waste due to its sucky infantry damage)

as for the render distance issue i don't know how to fix that other than sit back and wait for the optimization to get there
  19. RomulusX

In groups the counters to strikers still work regardless of how many striker spammers there are. NC in groups, although still powerful, can STILL be shot down (once they get the rendering fixed).

There is still NO counter to groups of Lancer users. Let's say it takes 10 shots to kill a sunderer, and you have 10 Lancer users. 1 volley and the sunderer is dead with NO WARNING. Let's say those 10 people say, "Hey let's use strikers" The sunderer driver now gets a lock on warning, can pop smoke/flares if it were ESF, and have time to get away. (Now whether the driver has smoke is just for arguments sake and that's his fault if he doesn't)
  20. Vapid

The lancer needs some love.