[Suggestion] The lack of BFRs makes it not feel like a complete Planetside experience.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Amador

I see... Then I must ask, how common are these intended to be?

Are they as common as pulling a Lightning tank? Or are these significantly limited in number and/or use Outfit resources to spawn?
  2. BengalTiger

Well there are multiple opinions.
    Mine is that it should be as common as an MBT. Let's say literally 300 nanites for the light version and 450 for the heavy.
    Maybe 350 and 500 given how expensive a MAX is.

I don't think that what I described before would be powerful enough to warrant it being an outfit only sort of deal.

Their population would be limited by tanks and planes where terrain is really open, and by infantry when terrain is really cluttered.
  3. AuricStarSand

I've asked for Warrig Truck from Mad Max fury road. With melee shovel, no av guns, & mana turrets boarded.
    I'd rather have the warrig truck than a bfr. I have yet to read this thread tho.

However I don't know if BFR is a " Planetside 1 experience " when bfr's weren't around for most or half the time playing PS1 when ps1 started. & when they were around they seemed op & then I quit before they made all these weird astroid maps.

That's not to say bfr's aren't okay to have. I don't know.

I'd still prefer more Mad Max vehicles with sand storms & derbies over some gundam wing show.
    Then again I am a fan of " BIG O It's showtime! "
  4. Amador

There's a reason why I asked about the previous question in particular. But first, we need to put aside the statistics of the "BFR" that relate to its speed, weapons and other features. Such things are easy to wonder or speculate.

The most important question that must be asked about a BFR is this...

What is its principle? Where does it fit in? What role does it play? What is its purpose?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    You see... Players already have preconceived notions about BFR's. As depicted in many games, cartoons and movies, these vehicles have been called "Titans", "Vertical Tanks", "Mechs", "Gundams" etc. Some might even remember the movie Robot Jox that came out in 1989 of two monstrous robots engaged in gladiatorial-like combat on behalf of entire nations.

This is because most people see them as "next generation" technology, with formidable weapons, defenses, mobility and are generally monstrous in size on most accounts - essentially the apex predator of vehicular warfare.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    This is the problem...

If you make them incredibly common like BF2142 did, then they're not even that menacing or meaningful. They just end up becoming as generic as yet another typical vehicle like a Lightning tank that roams around the battlefield, but just on two legs. It's not very awe-inspiring and it comes off as underwhelming if it just ends up being EXP fodder for someone playing Light Assault. Why bother?

Here's the other side of the coin...

If you make them absolutely overpowered or monstrous, then the average player feels diminished and inadequate. As if they are just a speck on the battlefield caught amidst the chaos beneath the shadow of clashing titans.

So it basically boils down to this...

If BFR's are reintroduced in Planetside 2, they have to be something that's at least 2 to 4 times the threat of a Main Battle Tank while also being extremely limited in presence, just as the Colossus tank is.

... Yet at the same time, this is also one of those things that might simply be more detrimental to gameplay than what its worth. Because there's many people here who still greatly resent what BFR's did to PS1 by completely disrupting the outlook of "conventional warfare" as players know it.
  5. BengalTiger

Well it would be a nimble all terrain fire support vehicle. It would fit in inside the gap between a MAX and a tank.
    Having a flexible weapons loadout - only the MAX and ESF currently have this trait.
    Being a walking vehicle - it could climb obstacles and mountains in a way "normal" tanks cannot.

I think this is enough to justify.

Well....

This preconception would also be a misconception.
    Any armor technology that can go on a mech can go on a tank.
    Any fire control, weapons - same.

The Harasser is not menacing or meaningful, yet so many folks enjoy the living nanites out of it.
    Same with any other vehicle except for the Bastion.

This is why I'd see BFR's as more like Titans from Titanfall, nimble, easy to change direction, able to climb mountains, and not too big or individually really powerful.
  6. JibbaJabba

This is pretty obtuse, go answer your own question.