The Harasser is the best example for crewed MBTs.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by fludblud, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Lance007

To reduce the effectiveness of 1/2 tank zergs.
  2. Whiteagle

They also didn't believe there was ANY problem with their Base Designs or Hex Territory System either...

...Just because they're the game developers doesn't mean they are infallible...
  3. LoneMaverick

Just had an idea on this, timers start for any gunner as soon as they hop in and fire a round. Timer would start just as if they had pulled a tank themselves, including their cooldown certs, etc.

Not only does this seem fair to me, also it'll stop a 3/3 MBT crew from running in like crazy with 2 of their tanks, then being more careful with the third, but also will help keep tank crews together and foster teamwork.(ever had that 1 random gunner jump in your MBT, he was pretty good and responded to voice, then all of a sudden he jumps out to cap a point or camp a spawn room and you never see him again? :()
    • Up x 1
  4. Tycoh

Why complicate things with an MBT 3/3 seat cert? Just give us a super heavy tank that is large enough and has enough health to accommodate 3 player crews.

Also an MBT 3/3 cert wouldn't give enemy players much of forewarning that that MBT they're about to attack has a super health buff and 3 players inside. All it would look like is a normal single seater MBT. Unless the developers are going to increase the size of the tank, add a whole bunch of armor to it, etc, which by looking at SOE's past endeavors, they wont.
  5. Ixidron

So, the harasser is gonna be live tomorrow 5am PDT/ 12am GMT (I guess the update starts then, so 2-4 hours to update).
    I can't wait to blow them up into tiny pieces, because that's what happens when lightly armored vehicles face heavy tanks and lots of infantry support.
  6. Tobax

That's different, one is opinion about how defendable a base is and one is fact about the amount of coding required to make certain changes or add new mechanics, bottom line is its just easier to make a new MBT for multi crew.
  7. Dingus148

Why is that a bad thing? If three people are determined to be the best tank team on Auraxis, they should be allowed to have a tank the whole time (provided they don't casually throw it away). I think restarting the timers on all 3 people punishes dedicated tankers and rewards casuals who notice "Oh hey, I have enough tank resources. Let's all just pull a superheavy".

Dedicated tankers and pilots should not be hamstrung for trying to be dedicated.
    • Up x 3
  8. Zorro

You obviously do not know how cavalry works. Cavalry do not charge at entrenched armor or infantry head-on, but circle and flank around them. Harassers are heavy cavalry and thus are heavier than the Flash and designed for more punishing combat. Harassers will not be a replacement for infantry, armor, or even flashes, but will fit into a niche all their own.
    • Up x 1
  9. LoneMaverick

If at one point resources change to actually effect if and when you can pull something, I'd personally be fine with that.

At the moment it usually has to be something real stupid (not checking the pad before I pull my prowler :eek: ) for me to actually have to wait out my timer, and I'm not even max certed into cooldown.
  10. Dingus148

Cooldown, as I see it, is the timer to establish your credentials as a tanker. The more you pump in, the more likely it is you'll be able to pull a tank. Resources are just a fail-safe for low CD tankers, to make sure they don't do stupid things with their tank.
  11. Whiteagle

We've had people data-mine the game and LOOK at said tank coding, they've said it was pretty much designed with the ability to easily swap which seat control what...

The hardest thing about switching Driver control to Secondary Guns is that the Magrider is going to need some new weapon models.

That's IT!

The only other real problem are those whiners who claim that if they pull a tank they should get to shoot the BIG GUN!
    Are those who invested into their Tanks getting Screwed Over?
    Perhaps, it depends on what they invested in...
    Considering each MBT only has three different Main Cannons, those who selfishly only invested in the gun THEY were firing are going to get the raw end of the deal...
    ...But if you wanted to be a one-man Tank, maybe you should have invested in the Lightning first like I did.

Those who actually liked running a two-crewed tank are going to have to deal with other people firing the Cannon, but considering you trust them enough with any weapon on your tank in the first place it isn't going to be that bad.
    You're basically going to be in the same boat as those of us who got Belly Cannons for our Liberators, you don't get to shoot the Big Gun but you're still going to get Experiance from it and you'll still have a weapon of your own.
    Plus a large number of the Secondary upgrades are way more interesting to fire in my opinion, and the Vanu will have a pretty good argument for exchanging the PPA for something different for the front of the Mag.
    (I personally like the weapon, but it's a long-range suppression fire Grenade Launcher, so it's not going to work so well on the lower nose mount.)

If we are getting ANY heavier land Combat Vehicles, I want ******* LAND BATTLESHIPS!
    Practically a boat on treads, these Behemoths would have at least TWO MBT equivalent Cannon Turrets but only able to get up to brisk walking speed.
    They'd be less of an offensive platform and more of a Mobile Base of Operations; a moving wall of armor to protect AMSunderers and weakened allied armor in the middle of a fight, the practical ground equal to an Air Carrier in function with perhaps the ability to spawn Buggies and Flashes.

As for one-man Tank Hunters...
    Eh, I personally see Tank Hunting as the role of Anti-Armor Lightnings, but perhaps there is room for a single-person Self Propelled Gun...
    ...Thing is though, such a platform is either going to have paper armor... or have the operator completely exposed to small arms fire...
    You'd have a powerful indirect firing weapon that is REALLY going to ruin the day of whoever is on the other end of the firing arc... but you'll need to be rather vulnerable to anything that gets within a hundred meters of you.
  12. Revel

No, in PS1 you just had hordes of people jumping in tanks and not bothering with a gunner, doing nothing but running people over since the mechanics were so dumb. There's a reason people called it the Magmower, or other names I can't post here.
  13. FrankManic

Agreed. The Harasser shows that a multi-crewed combat vehicle is possible and effective. Please, please re-work the tanks to acknowledge this. It would add so much depth to tank combat and make it so, so much more fun.
    • Up x 1
  14. Tobax

You forgot all about how the cert for mutli crew would need to add and remove an extra seat when the cert is equipped and unequipped, it is not just changing what seat does what as the point is the mutli crew tank would be for it to have 3 people not just 2, example the harasser. So the cert would have to add the extra seat, change driver to drive only, main gun for 2nd and top gun for 3rd... then put it all back to 2man again if the cert was taken off which is changing the entire design of the tank and not as easy and people with no design/coding experience want to think it is. The magreider would have to have its guns swapped around since the driver couldn't have any or strongest gun so thats another whole lot of work for the cert to change, its NOT worth it, they just need an NS tank for mutli crew (3 man) instead of screwing around with the existing tanks and job done.
    • Up x 2
  15. Whiteagle

No, they need to separate the Driver of a Tank from the Main Gun...
    Right now they're just beefier Lightnings, so it's made the Lightning near about redundant.
    I don't want a Certification to switch things, I want to TEST how MBTs where the Driver does not also operate the Primary Weapon would work out.
    This is something they can easily do, but don't because lone wolves will whine about it.
    • Up x 1
  16. Tobax

Which is what I said but they are NOT going to do it because some people want to gun and drive and it will cause a lot of hate, plus they are right to since they pulled the tank and paid the resources so its theirs, the high level cert idea isn't very effective which is why as I said they need a new NS tank for this job.
  17. Whiteagle

The Liberator would like to have a word with you...
    • Up x 3
  18. Tobax

Which would be what, it was designed that way since launch and they won't change something like that now, really you need to accept that and instead offer a fix which is the NS mbt, not just "change it all" because while some agree a lot disagree, so make the new tank and make everyone happy.
  19. Whiteagle

A NEW Tank makes the current MBTs the better solo option, which makes the Lightning even MORE redundant!
    My option won't even STOP solo tankers, they'll just sacifice mobility or firepower depending on which seat they're in.
    • Up x 2
  20. Tobax

A new tank for mutli crew doesn't change anything about which of the current tanks is better for solo as it leaves them both untouched.
    A new tank offers everyone a new way of using a MBT, giving them the option of using a crew for teamwork and doing better or the option of driving and gunning solo if they want to and there is nothing wrong with that. The Lightning is not redundant and many people will pick it over a MBT either because of different weapons such as Skyguard for example or there might not be a Tech link for the tank, some people prefer farming infantry with the lightning since its more agile. The fact is that a new tank made just for mutli crews (3 people) adds more options for the players, there will always be times when you don't want to multi crew because your friends aren't online and trying to work with randoms can be hard so the solo option must remain intact. We all know that they won't change MBT's to be multi crew because so we get around it ubut having a tank for each solo and multi crew, it adds more options and takes nothing away from anyway which makes it the best solution.