The Empire Colour Selection

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by UnDeaD_CyBorG, Apr 25, 2013.

1. UnDeaD_CyBorG

So, I get that most people like the changes, and to get that out, I don't.
    So, why am I making this thread?

Well, in short:
    Whenever the UI has been changed in the past, a lot was changed, most of it well received, but something was always made worse.
    Not having the entire map settings available at once is one of those things, empire colouring another.

Thing is, I liked the original colour settings. I want Empire colours, I want to be able to take my opponents apart, see progress on the strategic map.
    But I'm just irritated by blue arrows above my enemies head.
    The old setting had FF colours on players, and empire colours on map and objectives.
    With the last change to that, now I have to choose one colour set; So I had to grudgingly pick different kinds of red for my opponents. It's a bit irritating, but I can make do.

Now the new change comes, and while it has an advantage to those that primarily want to customize empire colours, it's probably great.
    For me, it takes the last bit of the classic system; Now the entire strategic map will be red as well.

So, as a question after that not-so-short text:
    Will there be a "classic" option in the future?
    I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say I'd pay money to have the Beta Release UI back, minus the redeploy, I suppose. As much as new options have arisen with every update, the ones I used before and liked where always removed.
    A customizable UI would work as well, obviously.
    • Up x 3
  2. Kujo

I've been missing this SO much since the first day they took it away.

If I use default Empire Colors, VS can't be purple because now one of the squad colors is purple and that gets very confusing. If I use the Friendly=Blue / Enemy=Red option, I can't tell which freakin empire owns what just by looking at the map. So now I've been having to use Empire Colors but VS have to be some bright pink so I can barely distinguish them from the TR. Now you're telling me they're about to make it even MORE difficult to have it similar to the classic settings? What exactly are they changing about this on the test server?

SOE, put in a classic option please. I don't care what empire the infantry are. Just that they're my enemy. I DO care what empire the objectives and locations belong to.
    • Up x 1
  3. Higby Developer

We are putting in a separate color selector for "Facilities and Territory" that will allow you to set those independently before this goes live. So, if you want blue for friendly players and red for enemy players, but empire colors for facility objects like control nodes, terminals and territory control you will be able to accomplish that.
    • Up x 24
  4. Shadestorm

Thanks Higby!! Been looking forward to this for quite some time! Hope that a Platoon Colour changer is somewhere in there too! (Purple VS and Purple Squad infantry and vehicles have all received lots of gunfire!)

EDIT: I wonder in there was a way for you guys to check in the stats if members of purple squads fell victim to higher rates of FF, and what % it is.
  5. Kujo

I'm SO glad to hear this. Thanks a lot for responding to this and letting us know of this change. I'm eagerly looking forward to it.
  6. Radec594

Great to know, it'd be perfect if you also added an option to toggle the new map coloring, being able to pick from enemy = red and enemy = empire colors for territories (if this isn't planned already).

It's cool that you guys add more variety and apply changes, as long as you leave an option for players to pick both the old and new systems.
  7. nubery

Please make squad colors so I can make vanu purple. Charlie squad being purple is a ******* awful thing for this feature.
    • Up x 3
  8. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Thank you, SOE Design Team. This one time.
  9. EvilNinjadude

Damn Higby, I love you. No ****.:D
  10. Puppy

I only want empire colors in the map. Will this be possible? (Facilities seperate from territory as well?)
  11. MrKwatz

I said something about this on twitter but want to expand on it here.

Splitting the options into these two categories leads you back into how ps2 launched, what people complained about and asked for customizable colors for. This needs to be changed to have territory, players, terminals, and objectives all have custom values to facilitate those that want it to recreate the original style this newest update is reverting to and the style that the first color customization update brought, as well as adding for more extreme personalization in general.

That way you can have it the original green objectives, faction terminals, faction territory, and blue players, as well as allowing full enemy vs ally, full empire colors, or whatever the player wants. The implementation that's live on the test server seems more like a detriment to either method of customization than it is helpful.

Would it also be possible to get an update on how you guys plan on approaching further UI customization? Some things I would like to see are showing resources on the hud, being able to move each individual element (using the free cursor), make them collapsible as well the ability fully hide them, and to edit the color of reticules, and an option to hide the XP and friend/outfit logging information that pops up in the middle of the screen. (would need a hud reset option in the general menu, or a whole menu devoted to HUD/UI customization). Squads also need addressing, each squad should have a customizable color as well a certain, non customizable shape identifier rather than the circles. It would also be very nice to set waypoints via the free cursor on the minimap.
  12. x2cygnus

I second that. Please, give us the possibility to change colors of squad members!
    Most importantly, the purple for charlie vs purple for Vanu, but I would prefer to be able to change the settings in such a way so that all allies (squadded or not) were a similar shade of some color.
  13. WaitWhatBoum

There should be an option like "set for account" and "set for character" because I like my allies to be blue and my enemies to be red on all my characters. When I switch to a character of another faction I have to change the options over and over again.