The D-75 Duster

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NXR1, Jun 21, 2016.

1. NXR1

I bet none of you have ever used (and I feel so bad for you if you have) or seen someone use this terrible weapon. Yesterday I made the terrible mistake of buying this weapon after extensive testing (it seemed really good in the VR (never trust the VR) ) and of course i thought "Hey maybe i just suck with this thing" so I looked up videos of the D-75 duster, nothing about how to use it or killstreaks with it or anything just videos of people showing how bad it is. So I have come here to propose a way of fixing this thing (not that any cares about it) because I think the idea of a ground pounding 75mm cannon on the bottom of a liberator is a great idea, i want to be an AC130 and not be the Dalton spamming Liberator that everyone knows so well.

The main problem with the D-75 is that youll never hit anything this things needs a huge decrease to its spread from sustained fire and when trying to fire a single shot for the "accurate shots" (which are still very innacurate) the aim reticle should return to its normal size much faster.

Another big problem is the the muzzle velocity 100m/s i fire these things and wont know if im hitting anything until the clip is empty so either you get really lucky and somehow hit something or you fire the entire clip and dont know if anything was hit until after the reload is half done. That muzzle velocity much be at LEAST doubled.

So i doubt anyone actually cares about this gun and if you do thats great, i do too, just tell me what you think this is my first thread ive actually made, i usually just lurk threads to remind people their idea is terrible.
    • Up x 1
  2. Liewec123

i think its great if you get the right situation (which is LOADS of scattered infantry)
    outside of that i preffer the zepher :D it just seems way more user friendly :p
  3. NXR1

the only use i see for it is close range bombing biofarm landing pads but ive never got to test it because as soon as i get within a mile radius theres like 30 locks and the flak spamm is unbearable, just seems like a pretty useless gun for costing 875 certs.
  4. DeadlyOmen

You have no right to expect accurate weaponry...this is the future, dammit, and weapons have regressed considerably.
  5. Crayv

A long time ago they were going to add faction specific Lib weapons. Only the Duster was added. Guess what faction it was going to be for.
  6. NXR1

TR, cause the devs hate us they would give us this useless....thing.
  7. Liewec123

yeah it takes a special kind of oblivious enemies to make use of it,
    zepher is a much safer option since it can be fired full auto from a safer distance
  8. Crayv

Ding! We have a winner!
  9. LaughingDead

Frankly the duster is like the extreme version of the archer, with the archer you would have a rifle that damages vehicles and two headshot kills max units, so you would usually bring it in when you felt like the enemy was going to start pulling maxes at long range.
    So you'd bring the duster whenever you'd expect a mass of infantry to be in one particular location and shell it, the thing is you CAN'T predict that, otherwise it would be easy to pull an AI tank and do the same thing, not to mention the belly gun is practically half the viability of a lib, specializing it to be anti infantry is like HE tank rounds, you're losing most of your damage to anything else to spread of the weapon, this will almost never be a good trade considering what you run into.

That being said, libs have the zephyr, a long range anti infantry and armor cannon for the belly, that 2 shots ESFs and does ok damage to libs and gals, if any lib ever wants to pull an anti infantry build, they will almost always pull the safe build over the duster.

It's kinda funny, the duster being the least used and dustiest weapon in the game.
  10. EPIC389

This is a duster review by igorawr. It's not the best of them but the gameplay should give you an idea of how and when to use it
    • Up x 1
  11. Valthis78

There is a reason the Duster is the way it is. The original incarnation was a broken monster of a weapon. Much more accurate and huge splash damage.
  12. ColonelChingles

Wouldn't the AC-130 essentially be a Liberator with a Dalton? The AC-130E, H, and U generally have a 20-25mm cannon, a 40mm cannon, and a 105mm artillery piece.

That's pretty close to a 20mm Drake, a 30mm Tank Buster, and a 150mm Dalton? The 75mm Duster doesn't quite fit in there as nearly.

Incidentally the Dalton was originally meant to be a 105mm weapon, not 150mm. That would have put its damage closer to a Lightning than a Vanguard. You can tell by looking at the in-game file names.
  13. NXR1

The only thing ive successfully killed with my duster was a scythe, so....yeaahh
  14. ChickenPotPie

Some pilots in a outfit I was in claimed to have success doing low altitude carpet bombing in heavy infantry areas (Lib built for speed and **** during reloads and such)
  15. Jawarisin

Well, if you like reminding people that their ideas is terrible, I assume you'd prefer blunt honesty for yourself.

The duster is a fine weapon, here are your problems:

1- You/your pilot doesn't know how to fly properly

2- You don't know how to shoot the gun

3- Your pilot doesn't know how to use the gun

4- Your flying abilities are really sub-par

That being said, here's the solution to this: The duster is mean't to be used at really close ranges. And you're not supposed to spam it much either. Also, it's not a weapon that a newbie pilot should put on his liberator, because it's really not easy to fly a duster correctly.
  16. Sahana

I do think the duster needs to be reworked. It would be awesome if it could drop bombs like planes did in ww2. But it would def be hard to balance out so it doesn't reap infantry.
  17. PatateMystere

It's a really good weapon but really depend on the pilot's skills. You have to fly very low. You can kill vehicules at "shotgun range", it's decent, specially against deplyed sundies.
    At longer ranger, you have to burst 1-2 round at the time.
    In fact I perform better with this weapon against infantry than with the zepher. You just have to get used to it.
  18. Imp C Bravo

You are out of your mind. The Duster is great. So great that if it were any better, every lib belly gun would get nerfed just by association.

Ok, actually you aren't out of your mind. The Duster is just very very hard to use and requires skill from both your pilot AND gunner.

Let's look at stats. It has about a 50% bigger full damage explosion radius than the Zephyr. It also does 50% more damage to vehicles than the zephyr.

As you said it is far less accurate and projectiles fire far slower. It takes a very skilled pilot in tight communication with their gunner to provide firing angles, distances, and trajectories necessary to use it effectively.

However, in the event that you do have that, it is more rewarding than the Zephyr outperforming it in most situations where a Zephyr or Duster would be preferable to a dalton or shredder.
    • Up x 1
  19. Pinkpuff

I freaking love the Duster.

The velocity is pure ****, no doubt, but if you let the aim reset it's pretty accurate and does a ton of damage. Remember that all Lib cannons have the same damage type so the 900 direct damage is just short of half of one Dalton round and the 600 from the Zephyr is just short of a third. But really though, let's compare a little. Direct damage of 900 for Duster, 600 for Zephyr. Splash damage of 500 within 2m for Duster, 450 within 1.5m for Zephyr. What this really means is that 2 Duster shots, 1 second apart, will decimate all infantry within 2 meters of where they hit leaving 8 more rounds left in the mag for the next group. Zephyr is going to take 3 shots to nuke that first group and then have just enough to do the same before reloading.

For AV work it's obviously not as good as the Dalton given the huge difference in velocity. But for sundy hunting it's infinitely better as the pilot doesn't even have to use the Tank Buster to soften it up. The belly gunner can just unload on the sundy killing it and every infantry that was near it. Really goes for all close range AV to be honest. Tank Buster/Dalton is obviously very strong but if you can eliminate the need for the pilot to line up the TB beforehand then you're doing yourselves a favor as you can then use odd approach angles.

For AA it's pretty bad. Though I have had some fun unloading a magazine at pursuing ESF's. It basically fills the sky like a shotgun and a single hit will cause a ESF to be a few seconds from f'd.