The big lesson of the AI MANA

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OldMaster80, Jan 11, 2015.

1. OldMaster80

I'm a AI MANA addicted. I use it whenever it's possible to provide cover fire, to take my opponents by surprise. It fits my gameplay much more than the AV and the Spitfire.

After 2,5 years of AI MANA experience I must tell you I'm still shocked because this device clearly shows how bad combat awareness most of PS2 players have. I can't count all the times I've dropped the turret aiming at a door or a corridor and suddenly friendly infantry passed in front of my line of fire. It often happens that people actually crouch in front of the turret completely blocking my line of sight, and they the probably feel cool and they think they're doing a good job.
    The impression that I have is that most of players rush so much to get 1 or 2 kills more that they don't even care they cross a gatling turret cone of fire. I guess many do not even realize they're in the middle of the bullets trajectory. Then when they die by my friendly fire the ragetell me "WTF?!". And they also cry on this forum that friendly fire should be removed.

Maybe the tutorial should insist a little bit more on the line of sight concept, and devs should add a message to the callout system.
    • Up x 2
  2. Clapeyron

so you're blocking entire hallways with a turret that is less efficient than just shooting an enemy, and now you're complaining about people playing the game...

AND you're one of the people constantly spamming that horrible noise in every base
    • Up x 2
  3. Taemien

I don't know why people keep requesting tutorials in these online games. Take a look at the BR of the people you're accidently mowing down. Its going to range from 1-100. Its not that people don't know to stay out of your sector of fire. Its that they don't -Care-.

Players aren't bad at the game. They aren't clueless. They aren't situationally unaware. They are ignorant because they choose to be. They have it in their mind that they have right of way of any sector they enter.

It comes right down to personal responsibility. Its always someone else's fault. Its always someone else's problem. Heck even the OP of this thread is placing this issue on the devs by requesting tutorial changes.

We don't need tutorials. We just need to play the game. Game has been out for over two years. A tutorial isn't going to help now. Anyone who hasn't gotten it by now is never going to get it.
    • Up x 2
  4. BlueSkies

Then you have a tendency to pick a bad spot.

Note: setting up turrets involves not just reading the geometry of the space around you, but understanding where friendly infantry is likely to stack up and avoiding putting them in your line of fire.

Maybe they should make a "where to put your turret" tutorial
    • Up x 1
  5. OldMaster80

If you're guarding a door and I place the turret behind your back then it's my fault. But if I place turret and you sit in the middle of my line of fire the this is your mistake: you expect to cover an angle that is already covered by the turret. Sitting in front of deployable that cannot move is just stupid so first I warn then I pierce the back of all the idiots that sit in front of my Mana.
    • Up x 4
  6. MahouFairy

Agreed. I don't know how many times I've tked someone when I'm covering fire with a chaingun max because they rush into my line of fire.
  7. IvanCGray

Personal favorite is when someone runs right in front of a MCG user; How the hell do you NOT hear, "BRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" and not notice the dude walking at 2KPH, with the torrent of red lasers coming out of his face?
    • Up x 5
  8. Booface

It helps if you place your turret at a higher elevation, like on top of some boxes or at the top of some stairs, whatever you can find (there are lots of good spots that let you do this in the Biolab generator room, for example, or in the cookie cutter 2 story building with the balcony that shows up in every base). If you have a higher elevation, you can shoot over your teammates without worrying about hitting them. It has the added benefit of making your head hitbox harder to hit when your turret angles down a bit. Barring that, you eventually get better at pausing your fire as people dodge and weave in front of you.

Keep in mind that the turret is actually a longer ranged AI weapon and is less dangerous than almost any other infantry weapon at indoor ranges, so the people at the doorway are actually serving their role. Try not to assume that just because you have a turret that you get precedence over that whole entrance. Your job is to use your durability and range to pick off the people that they can't get an angle on, not cover the doorway all by yourself.
  9. Crayv

What I find odd is all the people that will be grouped around a doorway not daring to try and go through but the moment you open fire with your Lasher/MCG/AI Mana Turret that is the moment when they all decided to charge through it.
    • Up x 1
  10. DashRendar

Technically the AI Mana isn't a Gatling turret since it doesn't have multiple spinning barrels. If it did, maybe it wouldn't overheat so fast x)
  11. Doc Jim

I've recently "rediscovered" the AI MANA turret. I try to keep a range of more than 30m so I have a wide field of view and don't get flanked too quickly, this also helps cut down on the teamkilling. What also works is covering buildings that need to be defended from OUTSIDE (e.g. from the window of an other building or from around a corner).

I don't think we need more emphasis on lines of fire in tutorials, but I damn sure would appreciate the turrets being deployable on steeper ground.