The 2014 Planetside 2 Meta Olympics - Dec 29-31, 2014

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by inigma, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Kirthalion

Oh man! I won't make it!
  2. inigma

two hours remaining.
  3. Leeloo

I really like the concept but we need to hone it to produce more interesting runs.

Let's collect all ideas to make it as risky as possible without allowing for easy exploits.

I've already written about fixed continent, touching both warpgates and continent locks.

Here are a couple more ideas:

Solo runners can use the Counter Intelligence implant to gather spotting points. The more times they get spotted, the more points they get. By the way, how are points converted to time? Does someone with more points but slightly worse time get a better total end score?

Another thought:

KOTV on Miller regularly does harrasser runs around the warpgates on the poplocked continent. The fun thing about it - besides the race itself - is that the participants are all competitors, yet they run together, thus making a big ruckus and inviting targets for the enemy to chase down. We could do similar solo runs, where the participants have to start together on foot and compete but not necessarily help each other.
  4. inigma

Congrats to all those who participated in the 2014 PS2 Meta Game Olympics. Winners will be posted shortly.
  5. inigma

I was thinking about changing up the Warp Gate Run to no longer be about a race, but rather about points. Specifically points for accomplishing certain things behind enemy lines, including shooting into the enemy warp gate or placing a beacon there. Certain points for classes, penalties for using jump pads, severer penalties for using vehicles.

Here is the original Warp Gate Run idea I posted for my outfit (and is what started the whole brainstorm into Meta Games):

I was thinking...

What about recording the ultimate survival challenge, proving your mettle as a master of situational awareness and sneaky bastardship.

On a busy continent with any class except infil, walk - yes walk or run from your warpgate to just within range of the enemy warpgate using cover, your gun, your supplies, and your wits. Then walk back. Alive. No deaths. Make it a story. Do it with a friend. How far can you go? What would you bring? What would you find along the way? How many of the enemy would you find necessary to dispatch? What opportunities would you take advantage of? Could you do it?

=====================================================================================
    Backstory:
    The enemy has modified the nanite subroutines provided by their Warp Gate, and this has concerned Command greatly. You have been given a special mission by Command - infiltrate enemy territory and steal nanites from the enemy Warp Gate Restricted Area for analysis using a special container developed by Command scientists. The container and modified nanites are assumed to be extremely fragile, hence there are a number of restrictions on the mission:

• The container and the nanites themselves can not be deconstructed. Hence you can not respawn (but you can be revived by anyone), and teleporters are off limits.
    • Also Command fears the container and modified nanites may be sensitive to cloaking generators, or be contaminated by the cloaking energy field whether one is cloaked or not, so no cloaks are allowed, hence any class but infiltrators are permitted.
    • Also it is unknown if the container or modified nanites are sensitive to vehicle generator fields as well. Command has ordered that volunteers not drive a vehicle, however you are technically welcome to drive or even ride in a vehicle driven or flown by someone else, although a point penalty will be assessed against you since the container or modified nanites may be sensitive to speed.
    • Base jump pads and transport corridors are believed to be ok and are permitted for use, but their use, like vehicles, carry a point penalty due their excessive speed - albeit the penalty for their use is much smaller. Elevators are perfectly ok since they are slower (and/or the only accessible option).
    Hall of Fame (Sorted by Points and Date of Accomplishment):
    • Popsicleclub Highest Points: 1850 (8/19/14 LA, Indar) (Vanu Silver Star - First Volunteer to Complete the Mission)
    Double Crown, Triple Crown, and Grand Master to those who can accomplish the feat on all four continents.

Killed in Action:
    • RealityVeil - Completed Tech Plant bonus, Prime Time, LA, was on his way home...only to get gibbed by a Lib.
    Point Legend
    Reach Enemy Warpgate (Simply get the Restricted Area Warning): 500 points (proven by vid or screenshot)
    Return to Friendly Warpgate: 500 points (proven by vid or screenshot)
    Prime Time Attempt or Significant Pop Disadvantage (Greater than 2:1) Battles are Visible on Map: 500 points (proven by vid or screenshot)
    Complete Mission as a Heavy Assault: 500 points
    Complete Mission as a Light Assault: 350 points
    Complete Mission as an Engineer: 250 points
    Complete Mission as a Medic: 100 points
    Plant a Beacon in the Restricted Area of Enemy Warp Gate (to stir up nanites): 350 points
    Destroy Enemy Vehicle in Enemy Territory: 350 points (proven by vid or screenshot)
    Enemy Tower Galaxy Terminal Destroyed: 350 points (proven by vid or screenshot)
    Steal Enemy Technology: 350 points (proven by vid or screenshot of Main Console in enemy tech plant)
    You or a Squad Mate Launches S1 Rocket Striking Enemy Warp Gate (to stir up nanites): 250 points
    Kill Enemy Soldier: 100 points (proven by k/d vid or screenshot at end of your run)
    Each Use of Jump Pad or Transport Corridor: -100 points
    Pop Advantage (Greater than 2:1) or Non Prime Time with No Battles on Map: -500 points
    Each Time Riding in any Moving Vehicle: -500 points
    Each Time Driving any Moving Vehicle: -1000
    Use a Transporter: forfeit all points
    Die and Respawn: forfeit all points

How to prove? There are four ways:

1: Series of screenshots showing your k/d at various points:

A. Friendly Warp Gate
    B. Front Line
    C. Behind Lines
    D. Enemy Warp Gate
    E. Front Lines
    F. Friendly Warp Gate
    G. Any special points you wish to capture

2. Twitch stream

3. Youtube video

You can ask faction, outfit, platoon, or squad mates for any help you need, such as calling in for Air Support, Ground Support, or Medic revives. In fact, it is highly encouraged since this Challenge is meant to engage the faction at any time of day in addition to providing you a solitary challenge. Only rides or drives count against you.

If you use a video to prove your accomplishments, please respond to this thread with timestamps where those accomplishments can be found. If no video of your entire mission, you are responsible to honorably apply penalty points if you use a vehicle at any time in your mission.
    ======================================

I am thinking about reposting that as a standing challenge that anyone can do at anytime, without having to wait for the end of year Olympic games.
  6. Mahaut

It's true that it was a mostly boring experience. And I'd say it's a side effect of redeployside and the lattice system: people can just redeploy directly into the action, so you have a few big fights while the rest of the continent is basically empty.

The event timeframe was probably too short too: I myself only stumbled on it the very last day.

I like the idea of an all-year challenge rather than a time limited one, but that’s assuming you’re willing to keep tabs on the event all-year round (I mean, I know that would eventually bore me).

Also, I’d like to offer an alternative solution to the point-only mode. If you want to keep the race mode too, you could simply have an obligatory race route by establishing check-points on a given continent: you know, “go to point A, do this, then go to point B, do this, then...”. That way you can force players to go through well-known hot-zones with directives like: “shoot Dahaka AMP’s spawn building to start the race > shoot the weapon terminal in the Crown’s vehicle bay > shoot the Stronghold’s vehicle pad > shoot the weapon terminal in the Crown’s vehicle bay > step on one of Peris Field Tower’s airpads to end the race”. Add some mandatory starting hour brackets per server so the races have to be run during primetime, and you’re good. That way you could even have different races on different continents, with different difficulty levels.