[Suggestion] Ten simple features that made Planetside great.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by P]-[r0st Byt3, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Whatupwidat

Agreed 1000% man.

Also, I think we need the "assist counts as kill" part too. Only getting 25xp or whatever it is for an assist after I'm the one that took their health down to the redline is really irritating.

Also it'd mean I get to dust off my 200 round EM1 as the thing would actually have a ******* use lol xD
    • Up x 2
  2. Tuco

The REK was something that was in your inventory that took up space so you can hack doors and CC's. It took up inventory space. Inventory space, it took up. See how it took up inventory space. You either save your inventory space, put in some extra ammo or weapon, or you carried a REK so you could hack.

Do we have inventory space in PS2?
  3. Stargazer86

Good point. Bring back the player inventory. It allowed for so much more customization than what we have now.
    • Up x 1
  4. FateJH

No, I don't. Accessing Vehicle and Infantry Terminals don't make players feel important or empowered. I'm certain, somewhere down beneath all the desire for balance, people would spawn a Vehicle from anywhere and immediately put it to use right there if they were presented with that option.

Hacking trhings may make individual players feel important or self-empowered but you still don't need a physical REK object for that. (How Infiltrators actually do hack things is an exercise in imagination, but all we would need is a handwave animation. Hold 'E' to perform an animation, maybe even holding out something that looks like a tool.) Your argument would make better sense were you to say that Infiltrators should be the only class that could flip capture points, paying due respect to PS2's blend of "class speciality."

I guess it could take up either a slot - Utility Secondary or Tool - and you'd have to choose it intentionally at an Infantry Terminal, then do something with it at the REK-able object. I can see Infiltrators calling that a nerf of some kind since, depending on the slot, it'd be competing with something else that has much more utility to their activity, or steal an innate ability from them and give it to an optional equip.
  5. Champagon

/facepalm

Alright think of it this way, why do we all have guns that look different? Why don't we have 1 gun for all factions but some are snipers, and others are SMG's but it is the same exact looking gun. Sounds boring right? This is what pressing E and standing in a location is. The same boring thing over and over. The REK tool will add some diversity and immersion.

If you are STILL curious, please look up a PS1 wiki or even some gameplay videos of someone hacking an objective or vehicle to see what I mean, because you newer generation of gamers don't understand immersion. This isn't a slur against you. It's just that you guys simply haven't experienced it yet. Not your fault, but it needs to come back.

I don't know how to make it any clearer than that analogy, if someone could help explain it better that would be great
    • Up x 1
  6. Champagon

no we don't and thats why it can go into a utility slot. Lets say you are a infiltrator with the REK, well that means you won't be able to use motion darts.

An engy with a REK? Ok cool, then you can't repair vehicles. See where i'm going with this? It won't be hard to implement at all.

Why are you guys SO against having a tool to hack equipment in this game. it's like you WANT PS2 to be as bland as humanely possible. I fully understand why 80% of my vet buddies left this game a year ago. They foresaw all of this coming via forums :(
    • Up x 1
  7. FateJH

That sounds about halfway being a catch-all towards at least half of the PS1 Infantry arsenal and at least half of the PS1 Vehicle options - common pool stuff. Heck, the ES Medium Assault pistols all function exactly the same way and only have a minor model difference, so I can only barely think of them as ES.

I play PS1. Right now. It's definitely moved into a retirement phase, and Core Combat is bugged for everyone (little mercies), but it's still fun despite territory shifting widely with lower population. At least, it's fun until the hackers show up; then, it just gets frustrating.
    FJH as TR, or FateJH as VS.
    • Up x 2
  8. Revanmug

There is no "depth." Suppression was nothing more but rewarding people with misses by making sure the opponent couldn't ******* fire back since the barrel of their gun would bend in a 60° to 90° angle.

We already have suppression anyway. Any near hit will be shaking your screen but I guess you never realised that. People asking for BF3 supression in addition to what we already have are just plain disgusting.
  9. Whatupwidat

Congrats for posting a totally irrelevant 2 year old video of BF3 before they fixed it.
  10. P]-[r0st Byt3

Such an excellent point. Most people seem complacent with "just because".
    +1. Great idea.

Thanks for your input. I fixed a few things for you:
    Refreshing isn't it? No automatic waypoints or absurd "facility computer call-outs" to guide you where to go or tell you whats happening. All that metagame from one tiny little inventory item called the REK that was totally optional in your customizable loadout. Little mechanics and attention to detail add up to huge features in the grand scheme; the essence of the metagame.
    • Up x 1
  11. P]-[r0st Byt3

I'm deathly afraid you're right and I feel this way as well. If they wait too long it will be too little, too late. Change must happen swiftly and deliberately. I absolutely abhor three way fights but the current game mechanics make it IMPOSSIBLE to avoid them. The FIRST change that must be made doesn't require any programming: the developer mindset that this is no more than a Planetside-themed session shooter.
  12. Tuco

[IMG]

No actually it's just another stupid way to capture the flag which we've all been doing since 1996. CTF is CTF, no matter how much frosting you put on top of it, and the REK is just more programming time taken away from what the game really needs.
    • Up x 2
  13. FateJH

That's putting the horse before the carriage. The REK does not create that metagame. The metagame exists for its own sake and the REK was just something that interacted in the larger process. In your rewrite of Tuco's post you never even mention the REK, except to correct the sentence where he mentioned it, and your edit of that sentence refers to the strategy that evolved from base design, which you also expound upon in the future re-writes by specifically referring to locales of interest in the PS1-style bases.

None of that is inherent, or dependent, on the tool. If you removed it from the scenario, little would change. You could write that whole edited paragraph without the second sentence and it would just as relevant.
    • Up x 2
  14. CDN_Wolvie

Agreed, as I stated before, I just recently went noob in PS1 (still hoping to play with FateJH some time) and I am not a fan of the inventory tetris and by extension, the REK is actually kind of redundant, everyone has it. The only difference made is are you a higher BR who has the advanced hacking or not?

In many ways PS2 already has the REK and yes, it could be improved by making people press E to capture a point for one simple reason - another player would have to protect them while they do that. Like protecting Sunderers, we don't thank the players that do that enough and whether they realize it or not, they make a huge impact on the fight if they prevent even one enemy soldier from blowing it up. Its too bad the recent resource changes F'ed that all up and vehicles, thus Sunderers, are taken for granted.

There are many, many things I am enjoying better in PS1 than PS2 but the REK? Its really not that important when everyone has one, its the hacking cert that is. In that vein, in PS2, there simply should be way more stuff for the Infiltrators to hack that have an impact on things - PS1 has that in spades and I genuinely feel bad for PS2 hackers that are the Infiltrators who often have very little impact on force multipliers and changing the tactical layout and strategic options to their team's advantage.

Imagine if PS2 you had to keep an infiltrator safe while they were the only class that could wreck the SCU? Or how epic it would be if an infiltrator that was so good they could sneak through a battle field to pop that SCU while the rest of the team distracted the defenders? That would be huge, epic even, especially since that class is so vulnerable.
    • Up x 1
  15. Revanmug

That wasn't a bug, that was an intended change since ****** were asking for suppression to be more relevant.

That just show how much you know about the subject...
  16. Whatupwidat

Where did I use the word bug? I said it was irrelevant. It's a vid from when BF3 FIRST CAME OUT - the suppression mechanic was tweaked over months of updates to make it not quite as stupidly powerful in close quarters maps like Metro which is a terrible map and frankly amazing you chose a video from said map as a demonstration of how bad a suppression mechanic would be.

Of COURSE it looks bad on Metro - Metro was a godaweful map. That'd be like me making a point about PS2 while only showing a clip of someone using a MAX in a Biolab then going "hey everyone, look how easy Planetside 2 is!"

It's a bad video and a worse example.

So....don't assume you know me friend :)
  17. Champagon

And what does the game really need? More meta-game and immersion and Teamwork is what this game needs.

REK will help build, all 3. It is a step in the RIGHT direction. But CoD kids don't want this because it adds another layer of stuff to do/things you must know.
  18. Aldaris

Sorry, you need to explain this. Hacking mechanics will do this, but the REK itself won't change any of that. There's an important distinction there.
  19. r4zor

Well right now any infantry can stick to an area of 5 meters around the capture point and thereby flip it. This includes walking, running, shooting, healing etc. One does not have to face the capture point and actually hack it. This does not promote teamwork compared to requiring someone to actually focus on hacking the point through either:
    - actually pressing E and hacking the point WITHOUT being able to move and fire OR
    - actually using a RemoteElectronicsKit as a sidearm or tool in order to hack the point (and thereby also removing being able to move and fire)

The difference is that with simple hacking mechanics one does not have to decide whether to carry an actual hacking tool (there are already models for that in the game files!) instead of a sidearm or tool. WITH a dedicated hacking tool this, however, would increase diversification, teamwork and actually demote selfish "I-want-to-have-all-my-killing-tools" behaviour.
    Additionally advanced hacking could then be brought back into the game with things such as inserting Viruses [e.g. Nanite drain after resource revamp II, disabled Radar when we finally get Interlinks, disabled turrets or whatever else] or jacking of vehicles. This would add depth to the game.
    • Up x 1
  20. FateJH

Lo, you shoehorn the physical tool object into the equation without realizing it is not necessary.
    What you have outlined (and even I believe this is the case) is an identifiable problem with hacking. Under current mechanics, even making a REK tool act like the Medical Applicator of the Repair Tool would not fix this issue as the beam can bend back around behind the player for very a short period of time. All that is absolutely required is that the person who is hacking something is forced to face the thing he is hacking and any other action the player attempts is counted as a hack interruption.
    Meanwhile, if we were to make the control point require proper in-game hacking, then only the Infiltrator could flip it; and, he would be vulnerable while doing it. The team's job is to cover the Infiltrator while he very obviously performs the hack.
    With the diversification, you may have a point. Following that, however, you need to take the question to Infiltrator Class subforums, or some other appropriate Infiltrator-ltargetted questionnaire, about whether they believe the loss of inherent hacking abilities and then hard choice of a tool or pistol in exchange for a REK object is a trade-off they feel is worth it. You can tell what I think of it.
    Now you're getting ahead of yourself. Pick one crusade at a time. How is this tool ever going to promote diversification if it could do any or all of these things at once? Do you want a REK or do you want a T-REK?