TAR has no 2x scope, but the SMG's do... wut?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Makora, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Makora

As the title says. The TAR is an assault rifle, and as such has longer range then an SMG. But for some reason it lacks the 2x scope. Why do SMG's have that anyway? Isn't it basically supposed to be used in shotgun range.

So, in any case 2x scope on TAR, do want.
    • Up x 4
  2. 0ReferenceException

I asked myself the same question... even stranger is the fact that the TRV (which is very similar to the TAR in most regards) does have a 2x Reflex available.

There are two options that I can think of:

a) it's an oversight (bug) and the TAR should actually have access to the 2x Reflex as well.

or

b) it's for balance purposes because the TAR has 0,75 ADS movement multiplier while the TRV (and all other TR ARs for that matter) only have 0,5 ADS movement multiplier. Anyway... Is till find it strange that the TRV gets the 2x but the TAR doesn't. If it is for balance then it's pretty silly tbh.
  3. FrontTowardEnemy

HV-45 doesn't have a 2x either. :/
  4. Makora

It seems to be a common trend with any factions medic's high fire rate weapons. So maybe it was intended as a balancing aspect to maybe steer the weapon more towards close range combat. But they also have 3.4x and 4x scopes so that idea falls flat.

I don't know the reasoning, but given that SMG's have 2x scopes, and even some shotguns have 2x scopes I find both balance and "what suits the gun" arguments not valid.
  5. Bin Ladens Ghost

For the NC, pretty much every weapon designed for close range combat (bar shotguns and SMGs) lacks the 2x scope. GD-7F, GR-22, Carnage BR, Anchor and EM1 are a few that spring to mind. Aka every single gun that would excel with a 2x zoom. It annoys me a lot more than it should, but there you go. I like my reflexes.
    • Up x 2
  6. Makora

Isn't the EM1 basically NC's version of the T-9 Carv? That gun doesn't have the 2x sight either. Hell, the T16 Rhino doesn't have a 2x sight and it's supposed to be the med-long range LMG for the TR.

I'm guessing this is partly to stop some weapons from becoming too "works for everything". TAR loses out a lot on med-long range combat simply because you can't have that 2x scope, and putting a 3.4 is a bit much for this gun as the fire rate makes it jump around like mad.
  7. OddChelsea

It's for balance purposes. All factions have guns like that. Keep in mind that iron sights are 1.35x zoom, not the 1x of the reflex that is available. May help a little when you need more range but don't want a shaky 3.4x with certain guns. Also 2x on most SMGs is a bit shaky too and probably not what they considered too effective.
  8. Unclematos7

The Cycler TRV(143/845) can take a 2X scope.
    The Carnage BR(143/750, can take compenastor and advanced forward grip) cannot.
    SOE works in misterious ways.
  9. Ceskaz

Nanites !! Hum no... Cocaïne !!
  10. Takoita

Also, T16, MSW-R and so on and so forth. Friggin' Jackhammer has better optics selection!
  11. Ceskaz

Yeah but that's just the dev team trolling here: what would you do with of a x4 scope on an un-slugged shotgun ? Pure taunt !
    • Up x 1
  12. Erendil

Yep, same thing w/ the VS. The Orion, VX6-7, Serpent, and HV-45 are our best CQC automatic weapons in those classes (LMG/AR/Carbine) and they all lack the 2x reflex, even though they're the weapons that would benefit from it the most. It's incredibly stupid. Doubly so since they all have access to 3.4x and 4x scopes which aren't exactly designed for CQC combat.
    • Up x 1
  13. ChipMHazard

I would like to think that there's a deeper reasoning behind how SOE has handled attachment availability, but it's very arbitrary.
  14. Ryekir

That's one thing that's always irritated me about a lot of weapons. They'll have a 1x Reflex, and then 3.4x and 4x scopes, but no 2x, which makes no logical sense...

The "official" answer (a friend of mine sent in a support ticket about it in relation to a specific weapon) is that not all weapons can have all attachments.

It looks like maybe they removed the 2x reflex from weapons that have a combination of high-fire rate, low recoil, and moderate range where the 2x reflex really shines and it would be godly. Then again, it also feels like it's just arbitrary and cruel which ones don't get it.
  15. WycliffSlim

Well... bolt-actions have a forward grip so...
  16. KnightCole

Well, I guess I have figured, its SoE, do not try to figure out the logic....there seems to be a noticeable lack of it.

I mean, the 150mm HEAT round has less blast radius then a 40mm Grenade.
  17. Crackulous

You should take a look at the Polaris and its attachments.
  18. Iridar51

Attachments need a major overhaul, and they will probably do it, sooner or later.
    Make differences between SMGs, ARs, LMGs and carbines more pronounced and obvious.
    We also need to clearly see how various attachments affect weapon stats, kind of like current "compare" option looks like.
    Scopes should either be unrestricted at all - the way I would prefer it, or the other way around - all kinds of restrictions should be imposed to clearly define the weapon' intended role.
  19. Flharfh

Add in all the LMGs that have access to a 6x scope but not to a semi-auto fire mode. Go figure. And I honestly think the T16 not having a 2x scope is a bug or oversight instead of being an intentional decision.
  20. Snoozzzer

The CQB weapons that would benefit most from a 2x don't have one for balance reasons.

See the GR22, GD7F, Lynx, Serpent VE92 etc...