Tank shells don't come out of barrels....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Puppy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Puppy

Apparently they all come out of cameras next to the barrel... So don't pay attention to the barrels... Tell all new players as well... The thought this was ok when adding it? o.e I don't think they think these things through at all sometimes. I'm not playing till the bug/feature is out. (Along with mine/lock-on bugs still existing.)
    • Up x 2
  2. IronWarrior

/facepalm
    • Up x 3
  3. SpcFarlen

They could have just A) centered prowler cannons and B) raised magrider cannon. That would have solved the issue, and most the complaints. Though eh it fixes the problem. Sure its not aesthetically pleasing if you really look hard and try to notice it but i think as time goes by (good series... no one will get that) it will be less noticeable.
    • Up x 5
  4. Puppy

Players have already been abusing this by hiding their barrel but still shooting. Fooling players (especially newer ones) is not a good thing in my opinion. A rule guns/cannons have are that bullets come out of the barrels PS2 dev v.v;
    • Up x 4
  5. KAHR-Alpha

It looks incredibly silly right now, projectiles can go through anything as long as the camera has LoS...
    • Up x 3
  6. Grotpar

Wait, they didn't even try to hide it?

Oh dear.
  7. pada0

Oh wow. So now I can get hit and even die without the barrel visible?
  8. Puppy

I think the camera is on the left/front of a turret. But the barrel does not have to be visible at all.
  9. Torok

ahah they probably messed up build, but hey do you remember back in gu02/03 when MBTs were shooting Blank? lol that was derp
  10. Overheal

So it's like when we were all kids "Nuh uh I shot you I saw you first!"

sigh
  11. pada0

Yeah sorry i edited my typo from turret to barrel, I meant to refer to the barrel but typed turret instead.
    • Up x 1
  12. Seranov

God forbid tanks (and Reavers) are actually capable of hitting things they aim at.

You're bad, and you should feel bad.
    • Up x 2
  13. Puppy

It was in the patch notes.
  14. phreec

It's a good change. Previously only the Magrider has a straight line-of-fire and didn't have to awkwardly compensate for horizontally off-set barrels.
    • Up x 3
  15. Phazaar

Wouldn't the correct way of implementing have been to move the cameras to where the gun is?

The only two vehicles -really- suffering were the Reaver than the Prowler (perhaps Magrider too)... The Reaver could have been fixed far more easily by just moving the gun into the nose where it originally was, which would have left its offset between the Mossie and the Scythe... The Prowler gets a lot of benefit out of having two shells, and given its consistent overperformance, I don't see a need for a fix here, but obviously it would have been easiest to offset the camera or center the barrels... This fix just -looks- stupid.

The Magrider again could have a lowered driver or raised cannon, though in 50 hours with it I've never had a problem...

This just wasn't necessary to apply to -all- vehicles (especially when my MAX still can't hit any target within 5m if I accurately put my crosshair on it...)
    • Up x 7
  16. SpcFarlen

Its actually not really that noticeable, the shell jsut converges with where ever you aim. Almost like a dynamic convergence range was added on. Projectile is still simulated coming out of muzzle but just goes straight to aim point. Even on a prowler it doesnt feel bad, actually feels quite lovely to hit something im aiming at for once without having to compensate for a meter or so with offset barrels.

Yes as others has said this means you can "shoot though objects" if the barrel is inside/touching/next to an object. To be frank that isnt that much of a concern because you still have to be visible to fire, just it may be a bit harder to gauge what to target first since it may be slightly unclear if they are aimed at you or not. But thats nothing really game breaking if you just assume that they already have you zeroed.
    • Up x 1
  17. KlyptoK

Vanguards just got a massive buff for using cover on their right side. Now you can be almost completely hidden while still firing since the camera is offset of the centered barrel.
  18. Puppy

It's not simulated coming out of the muzzle. If you drive a tank barrel behind a wall and aim your camera past it the shell goes to the destination. This fools players into thinking they are safe when they aren't. (New players may quit because of that.)
    • Up x 1
  19. SpcFarlen

But their body is still visible, so they never were safe. I dont see how that is fooling new players. If i reach my arm out around the corner my arm is visible around that corner, even if my eyes clearly see a wall in front of me. We arent ostriches.

I can see that, but that really just means you shouldnt assume they cant hit you. The turret will still be pointed your way, barrel visible or not. So you still have a visual distinction to if they tank is looking your way.
  20. maxkeiser

I never had any trouble hitting stuff before. This is a joke of a change.
    • Up x 6