Tank mines vs C4, or why tank mines are better all around

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PHLAK, Jan 30, 2013.

1. PHLAK

After watching this video and looking into it, I realized that mines are far superior to C4 all around.
    • 2 x Mine cert cost: 300, 2 x C4 cert cost: 700
    • Mine resource cost: 75 inf, C4 resource cost: 100 inf
    • Mines can be placed faster than C4
    • Two mines destroy a sunderer outright, two C4 will set a sundy on fire and destroy it only if it doesn't get repaired
    • Mines can be set and forgot about and will blow up anything that runs over them, C4 requires manual detonation
    Why are mines so much better than C4?!

The only thing about C4 is that it's easier to hit infantry/maxes with them. However, it's not that dificult to place a tank mine and shoot it with your gun to achieve the same effect. To clarify, I don't think C4 needs a buff, rather, mines need a nerf... or maybe they should meet somewhere in the middle.
  2. Panssarikauha

C4 is a general tool for near-all the classes. Mines are dedicated to the engi.
    C4 can be used for traps at points & chokes, mines only detonate when vehicles pass them.

Those are the justifications I see for them at the moment.
  3. Vastly

C4 is superior to mines because I don't play engineer...
  4. Dusty El Lion

Mines are already losing the proximity detonation, so they'll have to be detonated by motion so that is a start.

C4 has flexibility over AT mines though. AT mines can only be equipped by the engineer, who doesn't have any special movement abilities, or any survivablity benefits. So its harder to get near a properly defended sunderer.

While you can say AT mines are easy to shoot to detonate that's just not reasonably accomplished, in a combat scenario. The best way to do it is a grenade, which has a delay and is somewhat unpredictable, there for not a good counter to a tank that's moving or a MAX that is shooting at you. Where as C4 can be detonated instantly at the time of your choosing.
  5. Loegi

Infantry needs some way to kill a Sunderer, since they can be pulled so easily. Buffing C4 would just be worse, since then you'd have LAs killing Sunderers even easier. If people really can't handle the fact that mines are killing their Sunderer, maybe just introduce a separate explosive exclusive to Engineer that lets them destroy vehicles easily, and then make the AT mines a minefield thing.

What?
  6. BalogDerStout

Mines are better than C4 because the class that uses them has no armor defense, and no added mobility. So it's harder to use unless you just toss them into the road.
  7. Dusty El Lion

Yeah, placing a mine under a deployed sundy won't cause it to detonate till the sundy moves. So you'll have to detonate it with a grenade.
  8. PHLAK

After a delay of a about two seconds after placing.

I hate it when I run up to a sunderer, place two C4, enemy spanws, I mash mouse 1 to detonate and get shot before it goes off.
  9. Loegi

Where did you get that from?
  10. PHLAK

No, an engineer can place mines under a vehicle and they will detonate after a few seconds, no need activate them manually.
  11. Dusty El Lion

I know that but its changing in the patch. I've mined many a sunderer ;)
  12. t31os

Wrong, 2 mines kill a sunderer outright only if it does not have Mineguard. With each level of mineguard you will need an additional AT mine, accept the last level where the engineer will need an additional 2 - as someone pointed out in the youtube comments.

Don't want to die to AT mines? Get Mineguard ... Don't want Mineguard? Expect to die to AT Mines.

I come across numerous vehicles that don't die to AT mines i deploy, because they smartly have Mineguard. I lose my AMS Sunderers to AT Mines, it's part of the risk i take by not having Mineguard. That said, i'm one of those guys who will often camp the AMS and guard it, if the engineer can beat me down first or survive long enough to get them down, he deserves it(and vice versa when i'm the attacking engineer - sometimes i make it, sometimes i don't).
  13. BengalTiger

Try shooting one when the enemies are walking past it.
  14. Gisgo

Short question: WHY?
    Whats wrong with proximity?
    Why does it bug you?
    Please dont rant, just answer.
  15. Hoopopaavo

Why would you cert into only one type of explosives when you can use them all at the same time?
    I got 4 c4 and 4mines and i use them both for different purposes.
  16. PHLAK

Right, and 2 C4 don't kill a sundy without any upgrades.
  17. Gisgo

Please quote me the patch notes.
  18. Dusty El Lion

Doesn't bug me, I use them all the time. I'm pretty sure it was on Higby's twitter feed about the patch, it sucks, but I can deal with it.
  19. PHLAK

I play medic primarily, I only have access to C4.
  20. Gisgo