Taking a longer break, final game rating

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Alan Kalane, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Alan Kalane

I hate it but I have to admit that I haven't been playing the game for over a month now. I just don't have fun playing it anymore. After 1.5 years I'm burnt out. It's just the way things are - you have fun for as long as you can and then you move on, it's natural.

I'm not going to blame anyone for this as there's been enough blaming already. It's easy to blame the devs for everything but the truth is that we simply became bitter as a community because there's so much unfulfilled potential in this game. It could be 10/10 and everyone sees it, that's why. Unfortunately sometimes things go south and maybe it just wasn't destined to happen.

I will certainly watch the game closely and see if it improves. The September re-launch might be a second chance for PS2 if everything goes right. For now I am going to rate the game based on my 1.5 year experience as that's what I always do when I leave an online game (it's my humble tradition)

Pros
    - no other game like this, the only true MMOFPS (Heroes and Generals is different as it has instances)
    - very good asymmetric balance (some weapons are unusable though)
    - solid gun mechanics
    - huge maps, lots to explore
    - teamwork friendly
    - huge battles are impressive when they actualy happen
    - good optimalization
    - good tactical layer
    - F2P

Cons
    - very steep learning curve
    - strategic layer is broken (redeployside, nanites spam)
    - grindy
    - huge battles happen to rarely, it's mostly zergs or small battles
    - some parts of the maps are never used
    - some bases clearly aren't prepared for 96+ battles
    - game breaking exploits (like driving a sundy into an infantry-only building)

final rating: 7/10
    it could be much better, but it's the only MMO that kept me interrested for 1.5 year. Worth a try.

I'm switching to Elite: Dangerous for now, looks promising. I wish you all only the good battles and lots of fun.
    • Up x 1
  2. SwornJupiter

Fair appraisal, but I'm not sure why you're switching to Elite: Dangeorus...
    I have Elite, and besides the beautiful graphics, there's not much else going for it.
    - Learning curve is arguably steeper than that of PS2.
    - Complete lack of a 'story': i.e. it fails to draw you into the world of Elite: Dangerous.
    - Very repetitive - you either trade, explore, steal other people's stuff, and.... that's about it.
  3. Alan Kalane

Well, mostly because my friend is playing Elite and we just enjoy doing stuff together.

Also they say Elite will be expanded upon just like EVE online. They want to add things like planetary landings and other stuff... in a massive sandbox with 400 billion stellar bodies it may be pretty interesting.

Finaly, to me Elite is like mini-StarCitizen. I can't wait for that game honestly!
  4. Klabauter8

That's not a con. Steep learning curves are what makes games interesting.
    • Up x 2
  5. Alchemist44

Depends. Not for me. Since Im not a teenager anymore who has time to play 16+ hours a day, I need games that I can just jump into and not feel like having a 2nd job. For me a game wont be interesting just because its hard. On that note, I dont think PS2 is "hard" or harder than an average pvp fps, its a bit confusing in the beginning, but not "hard".
    • Up x 1
  6. stalkish

I agree difficulty is subjective.
    I had this discussion on yell the other day when people were trying to portray their empire as 'hard mode'.
    May answer was, 'Planetside 2 = easy mode'.

I dont know any teenagers who can spend 16+ hours a day gaming, pehaps those who are doing a games design course but the vast majority have school / college / uni which takes up at least 6-7 hours, sleep is 6-8, that leaves at max 12 hours free, they also have to travel, eat, wash, and take a dump / use facilties.
    Ironically I probably have more free time as a 29yr old than i did as a 19 yr old, since teenagers also tend to have highly active social lives outside of computers (parties / clubbing, courting, etc.). I used to go out on a thursday night when i was a teenager because that was 'student' night, no way id go and get pissed on the thursday with work on friday, my clients would be non too pleased.
  7. Crator

I don't understand why people say Planetside 2 has a steep learning curve. Maybe it's because I've played PS1 since open beta.
  8. Klabauter8

Of course it takes more for an interesting game to just be difficult, but if the learning curve isn't steep, then the gameplay is just boring. I agree with you though that you can't really call PS2 "hard", but I guess that depends on what kind of goals you have in this game. You can for example just play a medic and constantly do nothing but reviving people behind cover and you basically did a good job.

However, I disagree that playing games with a steep learning curve is only for teenagers. That's just complete nonsense. I personally love to play oldschool STGs like Gradius for example. These are games with such a steep learning curve sometimes that you can get your mind blown when watching pros play it, but I am totally ok with just playing them for 2 hours a day or something.

I'm just not a consumerist who has to buy every new AAA casual garbage title which comes out, only to breeze through it in 5 hours with literal godmode on due to gameplay for the braindead, you know.
  9. Beerbeerbeer

I agree on the steep learning curve.

Another gripe--and this also kind of goes back to the learning curve--is the overly-complex interface, HUD and menu system.

It's not intuitive, user-friendly or easy-to-use, at all. Too cluttered and the menu system is confusing and often redundant in places, that only adds to the confusion. It's just overwhelming, especially to newcomers, and takes too long to navigate.

Simple is always better IMO.
  10. Jubikus

oh the hype for StarCitizen the unrealistic hype if that game manages to pull off what they want itl definitely be good but theres just so many things they can **** up we will just have to see.
  11. Jubikus

It isnt very noob friendly starting with nothing really sucks its nicer now that you get 100 free certs per level for the first 15 levels but this will only let you mostly flush out one class you will still not have any matching weapons for a max and everyone knows you use weapons in pairs TR starter max really sucks as one of the weapons shoots in an arc and the other shoots straight. Training your eyes to see infiltrators is usually something new players dont have most FPS dont use the advanced stealth mechanic planetside has. none of your vehicles will really be worth a damn flying is particularly bad for new players as you have the nose gun and more fuel no rockets kind of sucks tanks arnt that bad as you can still kill some things with them.

The learning curve comes in base knowledge knowing what base your at where the teleporters take you if there is any, what each factions infiltrator cloak sound is, where turrets are on bases that you can use, tunnels, knowing how to wall climb into certain places, good vantage points sniping certain bases, sundy placement, what skyline galaxys are and for, what bases have 3 points and are hard to take, no deploy zones, how many and of which explosives you will need to take out a sundy and how many more you will need for a deploy sundy, which guns are generally good and bad in certain ranges, what a max crash is, how to mute annoying ******** with mics, and i can go on but you get the point there's a ton of **** the tutorial doesn't cover i mean does it even cover spawn becons?
    • Up x 1
  12. Crator

Good points... I probably just don't realize how much I know. Would be nice if tutorials pointed these kinds of things out.
  13. Konstantinn

Best tutorial is to play, especially with other more experienced players. If you're not willing to be a punching bag for first few weeks/months you won't like the game. It's the nature of pvp games, there will always be people better than you, since you can't turn down difficulty slider on human opponents.

To give a different example, lets say you start playing Tennis, pick up racket for the first time in your life, you can't realistically expect to often outplay other people that day (unless they're also beginners, even then questionable). No amount of tennis tutorial reading will make you significantly better either. You just have to play.

Though that's also what keeps the game interesting long term. There weren't many games that I played longer than 2.5 years like PS2 (or PS1 for that matter), and the few that I did were also PVP (Warhammer online and PS1 hm... that's about it, the rest a few months to maybe a year).