System crash AMD FX-8150 8-C, HD 7970 3GB D5

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Zargas, May 29, 2013.

1. Zargas

Hello again SOE and tech savy users

I have tried to get help with this problem now 3 times, i am just about to give up
    After beta i started to get these crashes that would stop my entire computer from working
    I have to reset it
    (Did not have a problem during beta)

I could not play for more then 1-20 mins before such a crash, this had a negative effect on me wanting to play so i left after i could not resolve my problem
    I came back some time later and could again play, then a patch and back to the crashing
    I tried again to get help
    Nothing worked and i do not think anyone had the same issues as me

I came back in Feb, same problem same issue

Now i am trying again
    I will just throw out my specs and who knows one of you might have used it in the last 6-7 months with and has experienced issues
    Or you might know one with issues

AMD FX-8150 8-Core Processor
    Socket- AM3+, Black Edition, with Water Cooler

MSI 990FXA-GD80, Socket-AM3+
    ATX, 990FX+SB950, DDR3, 4xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX&SLI, S
    Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB
    Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin
    ASUS Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5
    PCI-Express 3.0, "DirectCU II TOP", 2xDVI-I, 4xDis

Now to the other stuff, i have tested this out on Metro last light 9 hours and no crash
    Borderlands 2 almost 200 hours and no crash
    Far cry 3 22 hours and no crash
    Bioshock infinite 12 hours and no crash

I could go on, but you get the idea
    planetside 2 is the only game that so far is crashing my computer, and i have no idea on what to
    I have tried with a fresh installation, i have tried new and old drivers on my GPU

My GF has the exact same computer (Her case is red mine is black i doubt that will effect anything :p)
    my BIOS is new she has not changed it since we got it, same problem
    Same specs and same problem

So that is telling me that one of these parts do not work with planetside 2, but i will not go around randomly trying new parts if one of you out there already has solved this issue

So guys, does anyone out there know or a solution?
    (Buying a new computer is not really a question right now, as planetside 2 is the only game that is giving me problems)
  2. Paulus

Sounds perplexing, just a few background questions if you don't mind.

What OS are you running?

What settings are you trying to play PS2 on? (high, medium, low etc.)

What make and model of PSU do you have?

Can you describe the crash a bit more, for example does the screen go black or does it just freeze up as if you've hit the pause button?

Hope we can work something out for you.
  3. VikingVR

Given what you written here, it would be hard to pinpoint what is causing your crash. For all we know it could be a small utility running in the systray that could be causing a memory conflict with PS2 and crashing your computer.

So I'm assuming the following. Your system is not overclocked or tweaked, it's running stock settings. Your GF and you have identical systems with the exception of the case colors and BIOS revisions. PS2 crashes on hers just the same as it crashes on yours. The crash is a complete system lock up which requires a reset.

Have you tried just PS2 with a clean rebuild of the system and just only the drivers necessary to get the game running (ie. sound, gpu etc)?
    Have you installed the following MS hotfix updates?
    KB 2646060: An update that selectively disables the Core Parking feature in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 is available
    KB 2645594: An update is available for computers that have an AMD FX, AMD Opteron 4200, AMD Opteron 6200, or AMD Bulldozer series processor installed and that are running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

If you can post the diagnostic files to pastebin or a similar service that would be great. Then just link them back here in a reply. Don't forget to sanitize any private info from the diagnostic files. I'll take another crack at it when you link up the diag files :)
  4. Zargas

The OS in use is the Win7 64

I have tried changing settings from high to low, even done some manual changes
    No change

my PSU is a Silver Power SP-SS850 850W

What i can say about the crash is that it is random, there is nothing i can do ingame to repeat it
    I might be dropping into a fight or i might just be looking at a New loadout
    In tense fights or while i am alone in the middle of a area
    Never during loading of the game or a new map, always while playing it
    What i mean is that the crashes are ingame while playing

The crash is a system crash
    Both my screens go black and the last sound is then repeated over and over and over
    There is nothing on my loggs about the crash, the only way to resolve it is to restart the system
    (button of death)

I tried waiting for Windows to eventually fix itself but after 5 mins of looking at a black screen i gave up

At work right now, will give more info once i get home
  5. Itzyab0i

If your machine is crashing then look in the c:\windows directory for a dump file called memory.dmp or in c\windows\minidump (check the date of file to make sure it matches the date of crash)
    By analyzing this file you could determine what the rootcause is.
    Here is some information on how to do that.

Part 1 http://www.petri.co.il/crash-dump-analysis-how-to-install-the-windows-debugger.htm
    Part 2 http://www.petri.co.il/memory-dump-files.htm
    Part 3 http://www.petri.co.il/bsod-troubleshooting.htm

This Brief youtube link shows how this can be done.
    You could also post the results of the logfile in hear so that we can have a look at it or perhaps a DEV can chime in.

Another youtube which goes very indepth is this one Windows Debugging and Troubleshooting from Microsoft.
    If SOE had a way to collect the crashfiles related to PS2 then can fix somemany more bugs.