Switch Planetside 2 to Source engine.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DorianOmega, Jul 9, 2014.

1. DorianOmega

Because the current engine is stupidly wasteful and inefficient and bloom and lighting effects are just as good if not better in source...

Source is actually optimized, plus face animations.
  2. JorgeSarcos

Do you even know what you are talking about? because it seems like you dont...
    • Up x 3
  3. DorianOmega

you like the current unreal engine 3* (actually forgelight, woops) and the crappy net optimization we get with it and need for the most modern hardware to get more then 20 frames in large fights? no **** it probably wont change but what a rude thing to say....
  4. RyanGUK

Planetside 2 runs Forgelight, SOEs own in-house engine. Not Unreal Engine 3.

Forgelight does need some work, such as compatibility with DX11 but beyond that, you're being silly.

https://www.planetside2.com/forgelight
  5. DorianOmega

oh ya, was thinking of someone elses engine port thread that suggested unreal 3, still should be source.
  6. RyanGUK

Do some research on what the Source Engine was primarily designed for and you'll understand why Source is an unviable option.

Hint: It's not designed for 6000-player servers.
    • Up x 2
  7. Erilis

Source is a great engine but unsuitable for seamless open worlds. It works in a totally different way than Forgelight. With that said there's certainly room for improvement with PS2's engine.
  8. Plunutsud pls

Troll thread?
    • Up x 1
  9. DorianOmega

well frack it, il take the unreal engine then, Vindictus apparently couldnt get it right despite what i was just convinced by from a friend. scratch the idea~ Flys away
    • Up x 1
  10. DorianOmega

yup, now wheres my toll ***** :cool:
  11. RyanGUK

You're not wrong in that Source is one of, if not the best engine out right now. Just for how well it works and how it can be applied to the most barmiest of concepts. It's just not right for Planetside 2, is all.
    • Up x 2
  12. DorianOmega

Ya I was talking with a friend who went into how good the net optimization is for 24v24 and 32v32 instances in source like on TF2 and CS:GO, went on about how if ps2 could tweak the coding with the source engine a bit a could probably do 50v50 or 75v75 decently with todays server hardware available since source is like 7 years old now with plenty of different builds, dealing with inter connecting instances though didnt come up haha.
  13. JorgeSarcos

So i was being rude? i was saving you the shame of this posts but nvm lol
  14. DatVanuMan

HMMMMM. I don't think SOE would change the game engine just because it might allow us to have more fun. If Forelight is cheap and boring enough, then SOE sends its regards! Just kidding, this game is still amazing.
    • Up x 1