[Suggestion] 'Surveyor' - deployed ANTs as limited 'Silo'

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CommanderMacTavish, Oct 19, 2020.

1. CommanderMacTavish

In this thread, I'd like to suggest a change to the ANT. At the moment, the most obvious purpose of the ANT is to usually sit back from combat, collect Cortium and prepare a base of operations. This can really be very interesting, but in many cases, constructions bases are ignored / overseen or overrun due to lack of friendly support.

While it is indeed fun to build a base and use its functions, I'd suggest a change to how the ANT works. Instead of forcing a silo to be put down whenever a base is built, it would make a /very/ interesting function if an ANT could as a 'mobile silo'.

This suggestion is based of the Surveyor unit, from Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars. This unit can be used to build outposts, outside of the deployment range of your MCV (for PS2: basically the silo). It could be used to build defensive outposts, for Reconaissance and whatever. I'll link a thread to the CnC wiki below.
    https://cnc.fandom.com/wiki/Surveyor#GDI (CnC Wiki)

I'd argue that this change could change how ANTs are used. Instead of slowly building bases which'll either be ignored or destroyed, this could encourage people to use them to help /quickly/, and assist in an advance. For example, an ANT could deploy, and put down an Elysium Spawn Tube and Turret to help infantry push up.

All ANTs should have this by default, or as a module. It'd be interesting in fact to have this as a module which can be certed (with which the max. 'power' / circle of influence) can be extended. The maximum circle should be much smaller than the silo, so not to replace the use of them. Orbital Strike turrets cannot be deployed in this circle of influence. Multiple ANTs can 'fusion' together in a circle of influence to have a larged combined power area. It's okay if this isn't possible.

Overall, this could makee construction more useful, more fun and would fit with the current meta. With HIVEs gone, this could make construction cool for everyone again.
  2. ican'taim

Frankly this sounds awesome but there will need to be some limitations, like you can't use modules or something.
  3. Cancdemon

As someone who plays Command & Conquer himself, I love the idea of extending the ANTs use to being a frontline surveyor unit, allowing attackers to erect defenses around sunderers or in strategic locations, without the restrictions of silo placements. As of currently, Construction is mostly detached from gameplay, with exceptions being things like OS or 30s Cap Construction bases. This could be a nice way to make the more common.

Though of course, for balance purposes, certain things like repair modules, which boost the already intimidating healthpool of construction items, should at the very least be restricted. Routers, Pain Spires, etc. should maybe also be restricted to actual bases, I dread the thought of pushing a Control Point or even a Sunderer with Pain Spires around it. But things like Turrets, Skyshields, etc would fit nicely in giving the attackers Sieging methods.