[Suggestion] Suppressor & Flash Suppressor

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Warspine, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Demigan

I don't completely understand.

See, I can understand that the headphones might have some faulty sound software that mixes up sounds and makes it harder to located. I do know that anything with Dolby achitecture would be able to perfectly give you the location of the sound, although there could be problems when translating a Binaural. Reading the wiki-article you send, Binaural is a way of creating something akin to Stereo 2.0. It takes the sound that bounces off the ear and head into account ("head shoulder" they called it). The wiki also states that any actual stereo sound will warp the binaural sound.
    But what I really don't understand is how you can say that you can hear a height difference with stereo boxes. With just two boxes the best you can do is create a sound on a two-dimensional plane on the horizontal level (well, you can simulate it in the vertical if you place the boxes on top of eachother, but horizontal sound locations will get a vertical placement).
    This is actually backed up in the wiki for binaural sound: " Because loudspeaker-crosstalk of conventional stereo interferes with binaural reproduction, either headphones are required, or crosstalk cancellation of signals intended for loudspeakers such as Ambiophonics."
    This quote basically states: "Conventional stereo (like on your boxes) interferes with binaural sound, so use Headphones".
  2. Bumbil

Hm, i can hear a height difference in Planetside 2. I often use it locate hostile aircrafts. And when i'm in a squad with some one and in teamspeak, i often say that there is one and my mate is shocked everytime that i hear it so fast. Maybe i have good ears, maybe they are not normal, i don't know. In my flat i often hear my neighbor talking and it drives my crazy. But other people that visit me didn't hear him or they hear very quite after i made them attentive on that. I watch TV with very low volume and can hear everything very fine. For other it is too quiet.

I know that this all comes down to volume stuff and not to delayed sound playback in references to locating the source (source -> ear). I don't know i just can do it. Maybe there is another component that will take a part for locating. Experience. You brain could calculate so fast, that it feels like you can locate just by the sound. For an example, you stand in a building in PS2 and you can hear someone at the upper level of the building. Maybe you could located him only by the sound or with the additional info, that he should be (logicwise) on the upper level. At the end it feels like you located him by the sound only.

But that is just theory of myself. I'm not into that enough.

I find your postings interesting. :)
  3. Demigan

Having good hearing has nothing to do with it.

With two speakers it goes like this:
    First off, we assume the speakers are exactly spaced at the same distance from your ears to the left and right of you. You have 2 speakers. Any off-set would just create an in-build time difference in sound that will make locating your target harder.

1: If the target is directly in front (or behind) at 10m, you hear the same volume out of both speakers, at the same time. So you don't know if he's behind or in front of you, just that he is either behind or in front, and you can guess he's at about 10m distance by the volume.
    2: If the target is slightly to the left, he can be at 10m to the left in front or behind you. The left speaker will be a little louder than the right one. WIth good software, a time delay will be build in and the right one will give off it's sound slightly later than the left one for better location and distance.
    3: If the target is completely to the right, he must be 10m at your exact right due to the amount of volume and time difference.
    4: Now for the crux, read 1 again if you have to. If the target is directly above you at 10m distance, the sound from the speakers will be equally loud, without a time difference in between, as a target in front/behind/below you at 10m distance. This means that the target can't just be in front of behind you, but it can be above, below or anywhere in between in a circle of 10m. There is no way to tell.
    Only if the target is exactly, pinpoint at the right of your visuals, will you be able to tell if the target is exactly at that point. From right to left you have a multitude of circles that are smallest in the exact right and left, and the biggest in the middle, where your target can be.
    Now the only thing you can use to make sense of it all is context. If you here an LMG and there's nothing above you that a Heavy can stand on, and there's no tunnels below, then the Heavy must be in front or below you on the area that he can stand on. If he's in front, he could be in sight or behind cover, depending on the sound distance you hear. He could also be behind you, which become less likely when there's more friendlies around, and more likely if there's lots of cover and/or alternate routes he could take to get there. Add in being able to spot radar signatures and spotted people, and you can quickly eliminate possible positions and determine where someone is.

This makes it near impossible to locate aircraft in an aircraft by sound alone with stereo. You can't eliminate any height as the aircraft can take any position inside the sphere. The only reason you might be able to locate the aircraft fast is because you have found an easy way to quickly eliminate possible positions and find your aircraft, rather than some incredibly good hearing that somehow makes sense of a 2-dimensional sound. One of the ways you could do this is by context. You see the target on the radar and know where it should be, but not it's height. Due to the sound volume you have an idea of it's distance, coupled with the distance you estimate on the radar there's only two points left on the circle where your enemy can be. You look at the first height, and find him. If you don't find him you look at the second height where you will know he will be since you eliminated every other possibility.
    Ofcourse, if someone has stealth frame or isn't spotted you will have to deal with every possibility of the circle, perhaps you have a way of flying that puts your enemy to your left/right, meaning smaller circles of possible positions he can be. Because your enemy is moving you might be able to keep track of how the distance changes, it gives you information about how he's flying, but not if he's flying in a straight line or making strange maneuvers. It still means that he has a trajectory which can be in front or behind you, and he won't be flying straight either. Perhaps you also have a way of banking that lets you know even more information and allows you to make an incredibly good guess about the enemies whereabouts, although there are still half a dozen unknowns that you would need to guess as you won't be putting your enemy exactly where you want every time.
  4. Bumbil

That's what i mean with experience and that your brain calculates fast. So we can say, if you are able to combine fast, you can use stereo headphones, if not you should buy one with surround to supporting you.
    • Up x 1
  5. Stromberg

well I still have my 3 years old logitech G35, which is still "only" about 80€, but the stereo mode works actually much better to be able to precisly locate sounds.

what really is bad in PS2 though is how loud "distant" sounds are. if you hear a "distant" cloak or somebody spotting in the "distance" they could be anywhere between 50-150m away really, no way to tell.
  6. Demigan

Yes! I tripped over the part where you said stereo was simply better. Due to the binaural sound being warped with stereo sound this could be true, but that doesn't mean everyone has it, Also that the right surround sound software can prevent this. Although I can't be sure.
    • Up x 1