Sunderer Deployment Shield - a bit over the top?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vajerys, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Yeahy

If you want to deploy your sundy (which 99% of sundies do) then deployment shield is the only option.
    2 tank mines will barely take them down and so will c4.
    Its just better than other defense slots.
    • Up x 1
  2. Larolyn

Took about 40 seconds for mine to go down when it was under fire. But I could not out repair the damage. I could not get enough damage off with my Basilisk to get him down. A lonely Sunderer with one defender cannot stop a Viper Lightning from taking it down. This is the situation the OP described. Rockets / C4 / tank mines. Too much effort, but a vehicle will wreck it given time.
  3. Phredd Pewter

If you are quick enough, you can still take down the sunderer before, or just after it deploys. I've taken down plenty by getting there fast with 2 C4 and 3-4 bolts from my trusty crossbow.

Once deployed, 2 LAs shouldn't have trouble if they C4 the sunderer one after the other.

The shield is just brilliant against engies abusing AT mines, so I'm finally happy.
  4. Kolbax

Oh look another whine thread. I'm surprised you ******* havent had the whole game nerfed to 1 shot kills everything by now.

Too hard to kill a mobile forward base? Oh noes poor you.

So its ok for flak to need to 'stack up in groups' to take down a simple plane of varying utility, but a spawn point for an entire squad, upgraded and otherwise shouldnt be able to hold its own unless presented with the same?

Lol no wonder the devs avoid this place and use twitter and reddit. IQ is below goldfish level on this forum.
  5. KnightCole

Yeah, I did some VR testing.

6 shrike rockets and 2 C4 killed it in the rear
    8 in the side, 9 to the front.
  6. vincent-

Good for you and not in a sarcastic way either, the amount of time it takes to reload all that and if the enemy actually had one or 2 guys watching their spawn point. They didn't deserve the sunder if no one can defend it considering how much it took to take down.
  7. Phredd Pewter

What you are forgetting is that nearly half the whine threads are ABOUT one shot kills!
  8. Ronin Oni

I'm just going to quote myself from the other thread
  9. STR1D3R109

They should change the shield so it is more of a medic style shield. So if you spawn inside you don't immediately die by HE.

Then when the shield is down, then the vehicle will die like a normal sunderer.
    It would be a better option because then you have spawn protection, A shield from rockets + Tank shells etc While having the downside of being easier to spot & infantry can go through to C4 it like any other sundy (except blockade).
  10. Rovertoo

I think if they increased the shield recharge time, then it would be pretty good. They can be super duper tough, and that's okay, but when attack after attack after attack from multiple C4 goes to waste because the shield comes back up well before the time it takes to get to the sundy, it is a bit of a bother.
  11. Makora

I once noticed that the shield "shimered" when hit by small arms fire... I wonder, could you wither it down with your LMG?
  12. Atis

Basically, deployment shield is a crutch for players who dont want to defend sundy. I made plenty of 1-man runs at sundies before and they were successful only when defenders suck. Now you need 2-man team to kill 0-man metal box. 0-man teams rule, hooray for teamplay.
  13. Aegie

One HA should not be able to take it out, but one HA should be able to pull one. Teamwork.
  14. Axehilt

I probably see more infantry outside than vehicles. But that shows terrible decision-making more than it shows balance.
  15. Lamat

No.

I think it's 2 AT mines to break the shield, then the last 3 for the kill. Has to be done separately as the damage doesn't spill over, the shield has to be down.
  16. Lamat

Are you sure? I've never counted shots but nor have I felt it took long to kill a sunderer with any lightning gun besides a skyguard.
  17. Kcalehc

Can also be done with 2x C4 to take shield down, then another 2x C4, then a ubgl or explosive x-bow bolt or three.

Not easy if someone is guarding it, but not too hard if its unattended; easiest way is still 2 players working together.
  18. lawn gnome

that's about where i am at. i would like to be able to trigger C4 with my rockets again, to carve a couple seconds off that time spent, but other than that complaint i am fine with shield sundies (ok maybe not fine, i find them incredibly frustrating and wish there were fewer of them, but despite that i believe they are balanced)

i haven't seen the graphic for them yet and it was a bit rough not being able to tell a vanilla sundy from one with a shield, but as long as they are easily recognizable at close range so i can plan my attacks properly, then that is all that matters.
  19. Pyrode

Actually it's more like putting down tank mines and a tank just clean ignoring the damage taken from said tank mines.

C4, av mines and rockets are meant to destroy vehicles. Them two players used enough AV explosives to kill 3 maybe 4 tanks and all they could do to that deserted people mover was make it smoke and even then it gains back 2k hp with intervention from any enemy players.

Now I know that we've all lost battles against inanimate objects in game (usually it's a tree, or the ground).
    But when it's an enemy mobile spawn room and it's 2 against 0 and the 2 still lose despite having load outs to deal with vehicles. That's broken.

Edit: Personally think it should only work if there's a person in it (If no one's bothering to defend their spawn they don't deserve the base frankly) and it should have a nice shield icon on the side (like the repair icon) so you know that you're just going to be wasting resources before you end up wasting it...
  20. Taemien

Shield Sundies can be solo'd by MAXes in just a couple of seconds still.

The issue solo players are having is that the sundy shields regen in between shots. However, multiple people working on the sundy can still blow it apart in the same time as before. Shield sundies need constant damage to take down. Solo players can't do this. Firing a rocket, reload, and firing again is too slow.

The purpose of the shield was to deter solo players from stopping a group. Its working as intended. Solo players should fight.. well other solo players. Not groups.
    • Up x 2