Suicide is painless...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SuperLexatron, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SuperLexatron

People jumping out of air vehicles/crashing them to intentionally deny to attacker his/her exp is just plane wrong ;)

It is done out of pure spite. Sometimes you might be in a dogfight for anything from 30 seconds to 2 minutes - only to have that time pretty much wasted by some guy who has no sense of sportsmanship (or evidently, skill)

Oh but it gets worse, it's possible to deny the attacker of ALL possible exp... by doing this...

This must be changed, it is absolutely unacceptable. It removes a huge amount of enjoyability from the game from the eyes of a pilot.

-If someone bails because they are LA and can jet-pack, then great - they gave up the option to repair.
    -If someone has certed into cowardice, sorry I mean ejection - then great, they gave up equivalent certs to do that.
    -If someone bails knowing they will die, they are only doing it to spite the pilot - and haven't given up anything in the process.

Suggestions:

1) The last person to do damage to the player before they die, is granted the kill.
    2) The person to do the most amount of damage on the player, before they die, is granted the kill.
    3) Make ejection a 3-4 second sequence that locks all controls of the vehicle (unless certed into).
    4) Make deconning a vehicle impossible to do within 15 seconds of it taking damage. (mechanics already in the game, bloody apply it) This change also applies to ground-vehicle deconning for the same purposes.
    5) Dramatically increase the exp granted for killing air vehicles .

Before the inevitable crowd jumps in saying 'serves you right for using OP rocket pods' or something similar, while it is totally irrelevant to this subject, I will share a little story with you:

My good friend, and wing-man used to roll with A2A missiles - helped to keep most pilots at bay. Time upon time I would hear him rage because he would be denied the kill, and often the exp as well (apparently most people just bail when they see the lock-on).

You know what he said? ''**** this i'm going A2G''.

Instead of him clearing the skies of these rocket pod users, much like he wanted to... he's now just 'turned to the dark side' and farms kills with Pods.

Fix it. Fix it now. Ruins fun for pilots.

OR let's all just ignore each other in the skies and pound the ground, better exp, more kills, less skill, it's a win-win situation.
    • Up x 2
  2. SuperLexatron

Bump.

Nobody wants something that, if at best, alleviates some the rocket pod problems, and at worst does nothing to change balance/gameplay and serves to make it more enjoyable?
  3. Uben Qui

Did anyone else think of M.A.S.H. as they read the title?
    • Up x 3
  4. willTell

Bailing from vehicles is stupid, I do it all the time!

If I had one shot for making a change,
    I would add a 3-5 secs bail counter in the style of hacking and compromising generators.
    There could be another additional mechanic which denies drop out from air when not in landing mode aka too high.

I seriously hope they change it somehow, denying the kill is dishonorable.
  5. Mightyhalo

I just use a reaver for transport. I bail every time and glide down with my jet packs.
  6. SuperLexatron

Although I suggested the timed ejection system as well, it really it only delays the problem and would have it happen less frequently.

Denying people the ability to jump out at high heights also prevents people like Mightyhalo who use the ESFs purely for transport, which I find to be fine - if they know they can survive the fall.

The best system would be, if you die as a result of falling from an aircraft that took damage, your death should be credited to the person who last shot/most shot your aircraft.

Perfectly legitimate and acceptable. You bailed out of strategy, not spite.

That was the reference ;)
  7. Imready2go

Through early morning fog I see
    visions of the things to be
    the pains that are withheld for me
    I realize and I can see...
    [REFRAIN]:
    that suicide is painless
    it brings on many changes
    and I can take or leave it if I please.
    I try to find a way to make
    all our little joys relate
    without that ever-present hate
    but now I know that it's too late, and...
    [REFRAIN]
    The game of life is hard to play
    I'm gonna lose it anyway
    The losing card I'll someday lay
    so this is all I have to say.
    [REFRAIN]
    The only way to win is cheat
    And lay it down before I'm beat
    and to another give my seat
    for that's the only painless feat.
    [REFRAIN]
    The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin, but...
    [REFRAIN]
    A brave man once requested me
    to answer questions that are key
    is it to be or not to be
    and I replied 'oh why ask me?'
    [REFRAIN]
    'Cause suicide is painless
    it brings on many changes
    and I can take or leave it if I please.
    ...and you can do the same thing if you please.
    • Up x 2
  8. OMGSquirrel

I do this but I don't do it out of spite, I am trying to fall against a slope so I stay alive and make it back to safety. Actually I've just thrown some certs into nanite repairs so that I can now pilot as a Light Assault and save the 500c it would cost to get the safe ejection system.

If I don't survive the fall then sure, the pilot who did the most damage to my aircraft should register the kill. I fly with A2A missiles so I know how it is with the vast majority of my targets bailing or just flying straight into the ground.
  9. SuperLexatron

Yeah, this fix serves only to improve the current system and changes nothing about balance or gameplay. It wouldn't affect those that bail for legitimate reasons.

But of course I come back to this thread after half an hour and it's bumped off page one, replaced by multiple hacking threads, multiple rocket pod threads, multiple threads about higby's response to rocket pods, and just whining in general...

Sounds about right.
    • Up x 1
  10. Vargos

Another idea might be tying the pilot to the plane until their feet hit the ground (or go splat). If you can pop the ESF before the suicide occurs, you get the kill. But if the pilot is legitimately flying low to the ground or approaching a slope to eject & survive, their feet are usually on soil before the ESF explodes. Then just make a timer exception for jet packs or ejection certs so they're still used strategically.
  11. SuperLexatron

Could be, but I don't see how this differs from the fix of crediting the death of the pilot who bailed to the person who last shot his aircraft? Sounds a bit overcomplicated to me.
  12. smokemaker

I bail all the time. Got the idea from the enemy. After several jumped out of their ships to avoid giving me more XP... But I also understood why...
    Why help your enemy?
    Honorable you say.... honor belongs to those in armor long dead...In times of conflicts, there are no rules. When my ships about to pop and i know i cant escape.... I'm bailing.. he got enough of me already, no need to give him more...

Now for the idea about last to damage aircraft gets credit for kill, I would agree with that.. I've lost many kills to "dishonorable pilots"
  13. SuperLexatron

It's nothing to do with honour, it's to do with giving credit where credit is due.

There is currently no similar mechanic in this game when it comes to ground forces. If someone is shooting me, I cannot just press a button and they will not get exp or the kill - why should air be any different?
  14. Scrambles1

Is bailing out any different than running for cover to deny the enemy a kill? How about jumping out of a tank before it blows?

Seriously. The whole game is to kill the other player and not let him kill you.

:confused:
  15. SuperLexatron

Yes, it's very very different. Those are strategic moves, that have just bought you a few more seconds. (You are still killable)

I will try to put it simply for you. Is there a big red button in the top right of the corner that says 'Suicide' and when you press it, you instantly die - denying anyone who might be aiming at you - the kill?

There is a reason pressing re-deploy takes 10 seconds to activate... care to take a guess at what that reason is? ;)
  16. smokemaker

There sure is a ground option for this... getting out of a vehicle before it pops....
    As per infantry, like stated above, I saw you in the open and started shooting... so give me credit and don't run for cover.....
    people just upset because they lost out on some XP... nothing s broken here.

but again, I like the idea of last to damage craft gets the kill if pilot suicides.... then I would get my kills as well...If we all where forced to live with that, I would have no issues, but as long as the enemy can bail out, I will as well....
  17. SuperLexatron

In both of those examples, they are strategic manoeuvres that will buy you a couple of extra seconds of life - you are still very killable. You aren't outright denying the exp, you are saving your skin in hopes of retaliation.

What part of out-right suicide is strategic? If you say denying the enemy exp - then it that case I want my big red shiny 'suicide' button when i'm running around as infantry... why is this strategy only available to air?

I'm starting to think I should also be bailing, while it encourages others to do the same... it seems in a game like this the only way for the devs to take notice is when the masses start abusing something.
  18. TotalEclipse08

An ejection sequence would be really cool, something you would only be able to do if your aircraft had 50% or below HP. Any of your suggestions would be good though.
  19. wolfva

I bail because I don't particularly want to die; not because I'm trying to 'deny' you something. It's for the same reason if I see you on foot I'll shoot you. Next post: "People who shoot me first are cowards! It's not right they don't let me kill them!" It's your job to kill us; it's our job to prevent you from doing that.

When I bail, I try to get low to the ground and slow so I survive the drop. I hate getting that suicide message; I'd MUCH rather cloak and run off in the confusion, then headshot you while you're repairing your vehicle.

20. Crazedmonk86

Pilots gonna cry. Why in the hell would anyone STAY in their ESF if its going to blow up? We bail so you get no kill exp its a tactical strategy to keep you from gaining certs off of us... Hell I have a /suicide macro I push so you wont get me o.-

Get sum